Waiting at the Bluebird
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2015 Forest Hunter. All rights reserved

Cal had just skipped lunch. He was impatient and full of questions as he sat in his law office. Edwin and Roxie—what could they want from him? Why did Edwin want the three of them to meet together? Why was Edwin so polite when he called for the appointment? Why did Cal care one way or the other? Should he put them on the clock?

He answered ‘no’ to the last one. What would be the point? Edwin hadn’t yet repaid the money Cal advanced to Herb for the damages at the Dew Drop Inn. That had been three weeks ago. Besides, charging his brother for an appointment wouldn’t sound right if it got told the wrong way.

Cal had plenty on his mind. He’d finally persuaded the Midco people to come in for a look-see at the old Typewriter Factory. The final stumbling block had been getting a representative from the Governor’s office to find some time to tag along. As Cal considered things further, he was glad that Edwin was coming in to see him. Homer Barlow’s warning gave Cal an interest in keeping tabs on his younger brother. So, he put all else aside until Edwin and Roxie showed up.

In his idleness he glanced around his office. The sunlight streaming in from the window behind his desk was diluted by the Venetian blinds. His eyes wandered over all his shingles and diplomas hanging perfectly straight on the wall he reserved for that purpose. The plastic plaque the Chamber of Commerce sent him for his membership seemed a little out of place alongside the symbols of his lifetime milestones.

“Well, what the hell—I’m the only one who pays any attention to the damn stuff, anyway. I’ll put it there if I feel like it. It fills out the space.”

So the plastic membership plaque was allowed to remain for the time being. He was about to buzz his secretary, working outside the door, for another cup of coffee. He stopped. Edwin would be there any second. He would have to offer him a cup, too. His brother never passed up a free anything, and that would mean a longer visit. Coffee would have to wait until later.

Cal was sure Edwin wouldn’t be on time. He was always late, or overdue, overdrawn or over-something. As he rethought his coffee decision his empty stomach reminded him of the chicken croquettes he’d tried at the diner, and then his secretary buzzed him to let him know that his brother and Roxie were in the waiting room.

“Send them in,” he answered, and then put on his suit jacket.

He stood behind his desk as he waited for them to come through the office door.

“Hello, big brother,” Edwin smiled as he held the door for Roxie. “Nice of ya to make some time for us.”

Cal noticed that Edwin was clean-shaven and had put on a clean shirt and jeans. Roxie was in her waitress uniform. They stood just inside the door, as though hoping for permission to venture further.

“Come in; have a seat,” Cal beckoned.

He pointed to the two chairs in front of his desk. The two visitors moved forward on command.

“Coffee?” Cal asked, and stifled the disagreeable look that he felt bubbling up to the surface.

He took his seat in the leather chair on the other side of the desk.

“Sure!” Edwin agreed. “Black, as usual.”

Cal knew he should have known better. He glanced at Roxie, same question.

Roxie frowned at Edwin, as if to scold him for over-grasping.

“No, thanks, Cal,” she said. “I’ve been serving coffee since six this morning. I couldn’t look into the bottom of another cup.”

“Soft drink, then?” Cal asked.

For some reason, he wanted her to say ‘yes’. Roxie hesitated.

“C’mon, you must be tired after your shift at the diner.”

Roxie shrugged.

“Okay; anything you’ve got is fine.”

Cal flipped the switch on the intercom.

“Delores, would you bring us two black coffees and an apple juice over ice?”

“Coming right up, Cal,” the secretary answered.

Cal flipped the switch down.

“Before we get started,” Edwin began, “here’s seventy dollars toward what I owe ya for the damages at the Dew Drop.”

He leaned forward over the desk, opened his hand and let four bills spill out.

“I almost forgot,” Cal said.

He picked up the currency and stacked it into a neat pile, with all the faces up and pointing in the same direction. He placed it at the side of the desk, as though it were stakes in a poker game.

The secretary knocked and then came through the door with a trayful of drinks. She set the coffees down in front to Cal and Edwin. Roxie picked up the glass of apple juice off the tray.

“Thanks, Delores,” Cal said, and the secretary left and closed the door behind her.

Roxie took a sip of her drink.

“Thanks, Cal,” she said, and eased back in her chair to a more relaxed position. “This tastes good after a long day.”

Cal gave her a nod to acknowledge her thanks and then turned his attention to his brother sitting next to her.

“Is the haying all done?” he asked. “I could come out on Saturday and give you and Dad a hand if you’re not done yet.”

Edwin picked up his coffee cup, still steaming. He raised it to his lips to take a sip; Cal watched his brother’s eyes peek out at him from over the top of the cup.

“There’s an acre and a half left,” he answered. “I’ll finish it up this afternoon. No need to trouble yourself.”

Cal felt disappointed. It must have shown.

“Thanks for the offer, though,” Edwin quickly added. “I’ll let Dad know that ya offered.”

Cal felt a shiver of embarrassment at Edwin’s reading his thoughts. He shifted in his seat and cleared his throat.

“There must be something I can do for you. I doubt this is a social call.” he asked his brother.

“Well, there is one thing,” Edwin replied. “It’s not for me. It’s for Roxie. That’s why I brought her along.”

Cal shifted his glance to Roxie. She leaned forward, as if to begin speaking, but stopped herself. She looked like she didn’t know what to say.

“Ya know that old car of hers,” Edwin continued. “You been under the hood, yourself. It’s broke down again—water pump’s shot. The old crate ain’t what it used to be.”

“Probably never was much of anything,” Cal agreed. “I never did like a Dodge. But you didn’t clean up and come all the way into town to tell me that.”

Edwin slapped his knee in delight.

“I knew ya’d figure it out, Cal! Y’er the brains of the family.”

Cal leaned back in his chair.

“I haven’t figured it out, Edwin, but I’m smart enough to know when my little brother is putting me on. Why don’t you come right out with it?”

Edwin grimaced and then shrugged.

“It’s like this, Cal. I told Roxie she should junk the old Dodge and buy herself a new one—not brand new, mind ya, just new for her. We found one that’s four years old down at Loomis’ lot. It should last her a long time.”

“Good thinking,” Cal replied. “So far it sounds like something you don’t need me for.”

“Well,” Edwin drawled, “not exactly. Roxie needs a car loan and for her that means a co-signer. They won’t take me, unless I guarantee it with the farm account. Ya know what Dad would say about that.”

“Now I’m starting to get the picture,” Cal sighed. “You want me to be the co-signer.”

“Yeah, —right!” Edwin grinned. He turned to Roxie, who hadn’t said a word. “I told you it wouldn’t be no trouble. We’ll just...”

“Cal,” Roxie interrupted, “I know this is asking a lot but I don’t know who else I could ask. That old car is bleedin’ me to death.”

“I would have thought you might ask Stan at the diner. You and he seem pretty close.”

Cal glanced at Junior, who had a confused look on his face. Roxie’s lower lip trembled a little.

“Cal, that’s not fair,” she protested. “You got that all wrong. I wanted to explain...”

Then her voice trailed off.

Cal looked off at his wall of diplomas that stood like a sentry behind Edwin and Roxie. He didn’t want to cosign the loan, but he knew he would say ‘yes’ in the end. He figured he might as well get it over with.

“So, how much is this loan?” he asked.

“Eight thousand!” Roxie answered, sounding a little astonished at hearing the number out loud.

He turned to his brother.

“You looked it over? The car looks alright to you?”

Edwin nodded. Edwin was stupid about a lot of things, but not about engines and cars. He was a farm-boy, after all.

“I’ll call Ralph Baxter at the bank. Maybe he’ll take a point off the interest rate. Go over and see him tomorrow morning. I’ll meet you there when the paperwork’s ready.”

“Then you’ll do it?” Roxie squealed.

“That’s what it sounds like to me,” Edwin said.

Cal leaned forward in his chair.

“There’s a condition, Edwin.” He pointed his finger at his brother. “No more trouble—not at the Dew Drop, not anywhere. You’ll have to promise that.”

“Aw c’mon, Cal,” Edwin pleaded. “Ya don’t think I’ll be getting’ in any more trouble?”

“I mean it, Edwin.”

“Sure, sure,” Edwin assured him. “You’ve got my word on it.”

Cal gave his brother a long look. He didn’t believe him, but it was the closest he’d come to a promise of good behavior in a long while.

“Okay, I’ll co-sign,” Cal promised.

Roxie jumped from her chair. She hugged Cal and kissed him on the cheek.

“I promise you won’t be sorry, Cal. I’ll make every payment. You’ll never be bothered about it.”

In a few minutes they were gone. Cal sat by himself, thinking about what had happened.

“Promises, promises; the only one on paper will be mine.”

He knew he was right to be skeptical. He couldn’t help touching his cheek where Roxie had kissed him. He lowered his hand and his fingers were pink from her lipstick. He took out his handkerchief and wiped the rest off.

As he sat by himself he looked at the pink lipstick on the handkerchief. He should have forgotten it, put it in his pocket and started to prepare for his next appointment. For some reason the lipstick stain gave him a feeling that he couldn’t comprehend. He tried to shed the feeling, but couldn’t let go of it. He sighed and shoved the handkerchief back into his pocket. He’d find some time to think on it later.


When Roxie was in Cal’s office she hadn’t finished for the day at the diner. She had a double shift, with a two-hour break just after the lunch hour. After she and Junior left Cal’s office they used the time that was left to tie up loose ends with the auto dealer. She glanced at Junior, in the driver’s seat of his pickup.

“Loan me a cigarette, will’ya?” she asked.

She didn’t wait for permission. She picked the half-empty pack from the dashboard and bumped one out of the pack. She handed the pack to Junior, and he handed her his lighter.

“That went easier than I expected,” she remarked after taking a drag from the fresh smoke.

“I knew it would be okay,” Junior replied. “I know my brother. Cal’s really a soft touch. He don’t want nobody to know it, but he’s a softy when it comes right down to it.”

“I guess so,” Roxie replied. “Why do you think that is?”

“I suppose it’s ‘cause he wants everyone to like him. Cal wants everyone to know that he’s got the power to help them out of their troubles. I guess it goes back to when we were kids. He was always a loner but never alone. He worked real hard, never bothered for no foolin’ around. He used to help all the guys with their homework. He had kids hangin’ around him all the time. He thought it made him popular.”

“Didn’t it?” Roxie asked.

Junior took a drag from his cigarette and shook his head.

“Naw, he was never popular. All the kids in school were grateful to him—but he wasn’t popular. Cal never figured out that people don’t like to feel grateful. They do when they have to, but they can’t feel gratitude and liking for a person at the same time. Cal took the easy way and went for gratitude. That’s what he’s doin’ now by co-signin’ that loan.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close