Once and Again - Cover

Once and Again

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 37

“There it is, Hitherroam.”

“It has been a long time since I have been here.” says Sorbo, thinking back to his youth.

“It’s beautiful!” says Dakota, looking all so pretty in her new knee length golden dress with black leggings.

The mountain city of Hitherroam is centered in the middle of a huge meadow that stays green year round. It has two separate rivers that sustain its people, animals and plant life. Both rivers come out of the west from two different lakes and they cut across the meadow heading east effectively cutting the meadow into three parts. In the center section is the town and to the right or west of it is where the tent pavilion has been set up for all the visiting warriors to sleep and socialize. To the left of the city, still in the center section of the meadow, is where the battle testing grounds are set up.

The farthest third of the meadow is where they have their domesticated animals fenced off in various sections so they can rotate the animals to a piece of land that will always have grass for them to feed from. The closest third of the meadow is where they have their farms. Always leaving at least two sections fallow so as not to deplete the soil from future gifts.

The seven look down at the winding trail that eventually straightens out at the bottom and heads south towards the city. The city numbers in the thousands year around, but this time of year another five thousand visiting warriors and their squires from all over Nalla fill it to its maximum.

The city itself is made from the wood of the forest that covers the Nalla Mountains. It is a lighter brown with almost a reddish tint to it. It is very beautiful and very natural. If you could see beyond the mountains that rise around the meadow to the east you would be able to see the kingdom of Finton off in the far distance. In fact, their capitol of Rogero is not far from here and it is made in a very similar fashion.

Needless to say that the two nations of Nalla and Finton are very good friends, even though the majority of people from Nalla follow Andromeda’s banner and most people from Finton follow Aden’s banner.

Now comes a long forgotten banner that shall remain undisclosed until the right time. The seven ride with an air of grace and power as they come to the first bridge that will lead them into the part of the meadow that holds the city and proving grounds.

They get some odd stares, especially once Lender lands beside them and starts walking with them.

As they come up to where they will decide to go into the city or one of the temporary areas, a man addresses them. “Will you be passing through the city or are you here for the tournament?”

“The tournament.” says Sorbo.

“Reservation number.”

“We don’t have a reservation, sorry.”

“Sorry, no reservation, no tent in the pavilion.” Just then Bolo rides forward. “Oh, Bolo, it is good to see you here again. Many of the youngest warriors will be happy to know the greatest has come. You know, Bolo, you are looking much healthier and even younger. Something must agree with you.”

He smiles. “Yes, something does.” They all smile. “Tran, I was hoping we could get a couple of tents for our group.”

“You know I would like to help you, Bolo, but we are near full and a few chieftains have yet to arrive.”

“Tran, do you know this young lady here? Her name is Dakota.”

“No, I’m sorry, I do not. Ma’am.” He says bowing to her nonetheless.

“She is the White Sorceress and this is her Great Proctor and husband Sorbo Pralene.”

“She is the White Sorceress and he is a Pralene?”

“Yes.”

“Then you will have the finest quarters. Boy. Boy!” He snaps his fingers at the nearest helper. “This is the White Sorceress and her Great Protector who is of the original royal line of Pralene. Show them to the King’s very own two tents.”

The thirteen-year-old boy’s eyes go big and he says, “Yes, sir!”

“Lender, go airborne and we’ll see if we can find you a spot nearby.”

“Yes, sir.” and with that Lender launches his gargantuan form with his giant horned head easily into the sky.

As the young boy is winding them through the tents and the people he keeps yelling out. “Make way! Make way! Make way for the White Sorceress and royalty from Pralene.” All people turn and bow.

Bolo comes up to Sorbo’s side and says, “I hope you did not want to go unnoticed, but I figured it would get us in for sure.”

Sorbo smiles, “No, this is fine.”

Sorbo and Dakota are riding side-by-side and off to their left they see a young woman pleading with a guard to let her enter into the tournament. “Please, I can fight and think. Why can’t a girl enter?”

“Sorry, mistress, but you will have to take it up with the King when he arrives from his home in the city.”

The girl, who must be around eighteen-years-old, looks deflated. Sorbo and Dakota make knowing eye contact and then they stop. When the boy notices that they are no longer following him he seems to get flustered.

Dakota rides over to the girl and waits for her to notice her. “Excuse me for my intrusion, young miss, but I am Dakota of Pralene.”

The boy runs over and says, “She is the White Sorceress!”

The brunette girl’s brown eyes go big as Dakota continues. “If your heart is true you may serve under our banner. Come!” and without waiting for an answer they continue on.

When they reach the finest two tents that are white with red trim the girl is hot on their trail. As they are dismounting and getting their stuff together the girl gets right in and starts helping them.

Once inside the tent the girl turns to Dakota and says, “My name is Sarah and I am nineteen-years-old. May I ask whom do you serve?”

“We serve Odin, father of all the gods.”

“Odin!” She says, a little too loudly.

“That stays between us for now. I am a Knight of Odin and...”

“You are a knight? You are a girl!”

“Yes and yes. Any who has the heart and mind to serve shall be able to do so. All you see before you, except the boy he is just a squire for now, as you will be if you decide to join, are Knights of Odin. This is my husband Sorbo. He is our leader. The minotaur is Braylard. Bolo is from Nalla. Katarina and Lender are also strong proud members.”

“Even a fairy and a dragon can serve?”

“All those with ability and desire may serve if chosen.”

“Okay, I want to be a Knight of Odin.”

“Okay, you will be squire to Dakota.”

“Yes, sir.” Sarah says to Sorbo.

Luckily there is an open space right behind the tents so Lender can land and be in on the continuing discussions.

“Sarah, why don’t you go get your horse and other stuff and bring it into this tent?”

“I don’t have a horse, mistress. I came here in my wagon, but the wheel broke so I sold my two horses so I could stay here long enough for somebody to let me enter the tournament.”

“I will speak to the King for you as soon as we see him.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close