Once and Again
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

With lighter hearts time continues. It is now only two weeks away from The Gathering.

“Sorbo, can I wear this to The Gathering?”

“Uh, uh, well! I mean I guess you should be able to if you want to, but won’t you be embarrassed to have hundreds of boys and men see you naked.”

Dakota looks down at her very pretty pink chiffon style knee length dress that is completely see-through just like the fairies clothing. “There are going to be boys there?”

“Yeah, remember almost every knight will have a squire with them who is at least eleven years old.”

“Oh! Okay than, what if I wear one of my leggings underneath it.”

“Maybe. Put some on and let me see what it looks like.”

“Okay,” she says, disappearing back into her bedroom. A second later she comes back out and says, “How about now?”

“Well, that is definitely better, but keep in mind it is deep in winter so I think you should wear your thickest leggings with your longest long sleeve dress until we get there. Bring that along and you can wear it to one of the witches’ gatherings.”

“Okay,” she says, as she strips down to her pure self just beneath her sheer fairy-fine silk pink knee length dress.

After she drops her legging on the floor she comes over and crawls into Sorbo’s lap as he is sitting in front of the fire. She leans back into Sorbo and he wraps his arms around her. Feeling as free, safe and loved as any little girl ever has.

They are sitting there watching the fire sway and they are listening to it pop taking comfort in each other’s beauty and strength. It takes courage to be so free and open. That is why Sorbo will never stand in Dakota’s way to express her beautiful heart however she wants to.

As the minutes tick by and their warmth spreads through out both of them Sorbo asks, “So, you excited?”

“Yeah! I can’t wait until we go. When are we leaving again?”

“If we leave in a couple of days we can take our time.”

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Also, you know what I think?”

“What?”

“I think since you are getting to be a big girl.”

“I’ll be nine in just a little over a week.”

“I know. So since you are getting to be a big girl I say while we are there we should get me another horse and that way Hugs can be all yours!”

“Really?”

“Yep.”

“Oh.”

“What?”

“What if I want to ride with you sometimes?”

“Then we will tie Hugs’ reins to my horse and you will ride with me.”

“Okay, I like it.”

“Good!”

“Sorbo?”

“Yes, darling girl.”

“I love you!”

“Dakota?”

“Hmm.”

“I love you, too.” Dakota snuggles further back into him and Sorbo wraps his arms around the petite princess ever so lovingly and protectively.


As the weeks progressed towards The Gathering Sorbo worked with Dakota everyday to train her how to use her sword in combat. Also Katarina continued to work with her on her magic since Cathy had left to visit her family for Gift Day.

The first day Dakota came out wearing the sword, Sorbo could not hide his smile. Katarina and several other fairies worked really hard to make a belt for the sword that would fit around the very petite almost nine-year-old princess. The sword still dragged on the ground, but soon Dakota learned to rest her hand on it that allowed the hilt to lean forward causing the tip to point backwards no longer always dragging on the ground.

As in all things the brilliantly minded, beautifully hearted, little sweetheart of a girl started learning at an accelerated rate. Before long she could draw it quickly, hold it steady, and fend off a couple thrusts and swings from her knight.


A day before they are to take off, as they are getting their supplies together for the weeklong journey, there is a knock at the door.

Sorbo starts walking towards the door with his hand on his old family sword, the Sword of Might, which quietly vibrates when dark magic is about and protects the barer from dark spells. When Dakota touched it she knew right away that it has strong magic in it.

As Sorbo is reaching for the handle Dakota says, “It is Braylard.” When Sorbo opens up the door there stands his huge black minotaur friend. He turns around and looks at Dakota and she smiles and shrugs her shoulders.

Sorbo doesn’t know how he did it, but Braylard actually managed to find a horse big enough to carry his almost eight-foot and five-hundred stoneling body. “That is the biggest and ugliest damn horse I have ever seen.”

“Maybe so, but he strong with warrior’s heart.”

“I like him.”

“Thank you, little mistress. Your knight doesn’t know beauty when he sees it.”

“He thinks I’m pretty.”

The giant minotaur laughs boisterously and says, “Aye, that you are, princess, that you are. I’m ready when you are.”

“Let’s go!”

With a big smile Dakota leans back into Sorbo and the stretches soon turn into leagues and then the leagues turn into a day and then the days finally turn into a week. At last they arrive and stop atop a hill that oversees a valley of sorts. The trees are in spots still very thick and as they look around in the fading light they can see little tent cities all around them, plus many more single campfires.

“Those are the other Knights of Andromeda with their squires and or the Ladies of the Order of Trinity.”

“What about wizards and witches?”

“Yep, they are down there, too.”

“What about magical creatures like dragons and unicorns?”

“They can find the city any time and in fact many of them live in it year around, except when they have a task to do.”

“Oh! Okay,” she says, as one who is having the time of her life.

They start making their own camp and soon Dakota springs to life the campfire. Braylard is most impressed for starting a fire in the wild is never a sure thing, but Dakota is of magic.

As they are sitting around their campfire a group of three riders come slowly up towards them. They do not come any closer as a show of respect. “Hail, in the camp.”

“Hail! Come forth and be recognized,” says Sorbo.

Out of the darkness and trees come a Knight of Andromeda and by his clothing he is from the kingdom of Laraland. He has a thirteen-year-old squire with him and it appears the lady that is with them is a warrior of the Order of Trinity. She is wearing a full length beautifully flowing silver dress with a sword on her hip and a bow across her saddle. She has long brunette hair and brown eyes just as the knight and squire do.

“We are most honored to be welcomed into your camp. I am Jeff Heron and this is our son Jeffrey and this is my wife Katiely.”

“Welcome and take refuge with us until the time. It will be an honor to have another Knight of Andromeda sit with us, and unless I am mistaking the divine lady is a Sister of the Order of Trinity. It is a true honor, milady,” says Sorbo. He gets up and then bows as does Braylard.”

“Thank you most graciously, Knights of Andromeda.” She bows with grace and power.

“This is Braylard of the Minotaur Realm, I am Sorbo of Pralene, and this young lady is Dakota Star of Pralene, the White Sorceress.”

“Well, it is a true honor indeed,” says the knight Jeff. This time the whole family bows to her, even the thirteen-year-old boy does it with reverence. The Light is definitely in his blood.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close