Once and Again
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2016 by Allan Kindred

Welcome to the world of Kara and the island continent known as the Isle of Lakes. Starting with the world of Kara it is a world of oceans. Although it is only considered one ocean and it is called Azure.

There are two moons orbiting Kara. One is a moon of white radiance known as Hope and the other is a red moon called Neutrala Ember. First to rise is the white shimmering moon known as Hope, then an hour later Neutrala Ember begins to grace the skies.

There are thirteen islands big enough to be considered continents. Each of those thirteen island continents are made up of multiple kingdoms and are overseen by three gods. The three gods per island continent are separated into the same way the universe is naturally run. There is a God of Light, a God of Neutrality, and the third god is a God of Negativity. All the gods have multiple names by their various followers, but it is the God of Night who usually has the most so as to keep their actions secret. However, some names that are known are the God of Darkness, the God of Night, and the God of Mischief. There are also another eleven smaller islands that are single kingdom islands. They are a group of islands high in the northern hemisphere that are all overseen by the same three gods.

Now the following knowledge is for the island continent of the Isle of Lakes. It is sort of shaped like a lumpy potato. The long ways is from west to east. And I’m sure you have been able to extrapolate from its name that it has a whole lot of lakes spaced through out it. There are two main reasons for that. One the entire island continent is in a major weather stream of the world so it rains a lot. The other is because there are six different mountains ranges spaced through out it.

The three gods that oversee or exist within its boundaries are Andromeda, the Goddess of Light, Loki, the God of Mischief, and Aden, the God of Neutrality. For most of existence they and their followers have gotten along, especially since it was agreed upon long ago that religion belongs in your heart and in your home, not in the everyday life of living. The gods would stay out of any direct involvement, but it appears of late that Loki has gotten bored and has started to influence and deceive certain religious factions. Who by nature are good hearted sharing and caring people, but Loki is perverting their religion and they are not going to be happy once they realize they have been deceived and treated certain members of their own societies unfairly. But Loki doesn’t care because all negativity makes him stronger. Just like all positive thoughts and actions make Andromeda stronger. Aden, the God of Neutrality, is the glue that binds everything together and exists harmoniously wherever and with whatever is going on, which is the main reason he doesn’t have land set-aside specifically for himself.

Though this is not a hard and fast rule, for the most part the high religious followers of Andromeda wear white, the high religious followers of Loki wear black, and the high religious followers of Aden wear gray accept for the leaders often wear red robes. For those religious people who know it is unwise to let religion dominate your society and are wonderful people because it is who they are and it is the right thing to do, not because if you don’t you will go to hell or the abyss or whatever torment your religion has in store for you if you can’t live up to the standards of the made up divine, pretty much wear whatever the hell they want to.

Okay, now for the kingdoms of The Isle of Lakes. Starting at the most northern point you find the kingdom of Bengal, which is almost in the exact middle of one of the long sides of the continent. It is entirely grasslands known as the Bengal Grasslands. Actually let me back track a second here so this might be easier to follow. The majority of the island continent is The Free and Wild Lands of the Goddess Andromeda. It is in the very center of the island and borders almost every single kingdom. Only because of The Accursed Land of Loki, which is on the western interior of the continent does the kingdoms of Swelter and Harod not border the Free Lands of Andromeda. All the kingdoms are between the outside of the land of the gods and the ocean of Azure, which the island continent of The Isle of Lakes exists in.

Anyway, back to the human kingdoms of The Isle of Lakes. We started with Bengal, which are tribal people who have a strong connection with nature. They are friendly as long as you don’t disrespect them. To their immediate right or east is the kingdom of Darian.

Darian is a knightly kingdom and is made up mostly of the Dakota Woodlands or Forests depending on where you are through out the continent. The entire western side of Darian is the Bengal Grasslands. In the northeast corner lies the Darian Mountains. To the east of Darian is the kingdom of Pralene.

Pralene takes up the entire northeastern corner of the continent. Except for the Darian Mountains in the northwest corner, the rest of it is covered by the Dakota Woodlands. Of course to the north and east is the Ocean of Azure, and to the southwest is the Free Lands of Andromeda. Pralene is a knightly kingdom.

When I say a kingdom is knightly I mean royalty. Usually a king and or queen rule them. Sometimes a prince or princess rules, if the ascension hasn’t happened yet. Directly south of Pralene is the kingdom of Laraland.

Laraland too is mostly covered by the Dakota Woodlands, but almost in the center of their eastern border with the ocean lays Lara’s Mountains. It is one of four small mountain ranges that exist on The Isle of Lakes. Pretty much their entire western border connects to the Free Lands of Andromeda. Their entire southeast corner is made up of the Finton Prairie. They too are a knightly nation. To the south-southwest lies the kingdom of Finton.

The Finton Prairie covers the most eastern point of Finton. The majority of Finton is covered by the Dakota Woodlands. All, that is, but their western border, which is dominated by the Nalla Mountains. To their east, southeast, and south lies the Azure Ocean. Their entire northwestern border is lucky enough to border against the Free Lands of Andromeda. Finton is also a knightly nation. Directly to their west is the kingdom of Nalla.

Nalla is entirely dominated by the Nalla Mountains. To their south is the ocean, to their north is the Free Lands of Andromeda and to their west is the nation of Abara and of course Finton is on their eastern border. In fact the capitol cities of Finton and Nalla are in the Nalla Mountains just across the border from each other. They are old friends and Nalla is of course a knightly nation.

Abara is almost entirely desert. To their north the Canton Mountains protrude out a little into their land. Three-fourths of their northern border is with the Free Lands of Andromeda. The far western side of their northern border is with The Accursed Land of Loki, which is between the Canton Mountains and the countries of Harod and Swelter while bordering with Abara in Loki’s extreme southern territory. Abara’s entire southern border is ocean coastline. Abara used to be a knightly nation, but for the last several generations a push has been made to let religion rule instead of royalty. To the west of Abara is the nation of Harod.

Harod too is almost entirely desert. Harod takes up the entire southwest corner of the continent. By the way the desert is called the Abara Desert. Only in the northwest corner lies the Harod Mountains. They are not a true-forested mountain range; they are just high elevation desert land. Royalty, too, once ruled Harod, but religion is slowly taking over every aspect of their society. Unfortunately Loki has never thought much of females so they are steadily taking a lesser roll in their society, which is the saddest thing that can happen to a society. Harod’s entire northeastern territory borders The Accursed Lands of Loki. Directly north of Harod is the nation of Swelter.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close