Lottery Loser - Cover

Lottery Loser

Copyright© 2014 by Lloyd Sampsel

Chapter 4

Day 4 as a Millionaire (Friday, March 13, 2009)

Three solid nights of sleep in a row! This environment, or this bed, or something is almost miraculous. I woke to a fine almost spring morning.

I did some stretching exercises and some calisthenics to get my body woke up. I then set up my computer to check how my remote businesses were doing.

First, I read the email from Terry reporting that he had scheduled office visits with all three of the leads that arrived yesterday afternoon.

I then read an email from a person I had represented in purchasing his house three years ago. He is moving out of town and wants to sell their house quickly so that his family can join him. I acknowledged his email and forwarded it to Terry.

Now its time to check the email generated by my web site. I found that 64 unique users had visited my web site. 12 had ordered one or more reports. These were set up with appropriate trickles. 4 wanted to see homes from the Featured Listings. These were acknowledged and forwarded to Terry.

Two more people requested help with selling their home. So that makes another 10 leads generated in 24 hours. Terry is going to need some more help pretty soon if this keeps up.

Next I logged into my Marketing web site. I had received an email from Vera reporting that all 67 prospects she had been able to contact had confirmed their intention to attend the PBR they had been invited to. She would continue to try to contact the others.

I received emails from all but one of The Dalles prospects reporting additional recruits from their calling last night. I forwarded a summary sheet of those to Vera along with a note that I would be directly forwarding any additional reports that came in to her as I may be unable to get back to them before Sunday morning and asked her to deal with any that came in.

I then configured email rules on the server to automatically forward any calls from these prospects to Vera's email account.

I then spent about thirty minutes researching historic water rights in this area. I obtained the contact phone number of the water master who can verify the accuracy of any water rights documents.

By the time I took a shower and got dressed, I was smelling breakfast in the making and went downstairs. I found 5 beautiful young ladies laughing and chattering a mile a minutes. Their chattering stopped as I entered the room. Adriane stood and introduced me to each of them as her college buddies who had stopped by on their way back to Portland from Bend where they had been skiing. "I'd like you to meet Zelda, Abbey, Bailey, and Caitlyn. I went to college with them all four years. We were all roommates in an apartment suite the last two years. They are all working in Portland. They are trying to get me to move there as well. These are four of my ten prospects for tomorrow night's meeting. They are all excited to hear what you can share about that business opportunity."

As we started our breakfast they started quizzing me about aspects of the business. After I declined to answer any questions at this time suggesting that it would be better to get the whole picture at once they gave up and went to other topics.

After finishing breakfast I went back up to my room to retrieve my computer and went out to the car. As I was pulling into the driveway at Melissa's place Trudy came galloping down the lane on another horse. She pulled up in a sliding stop a few feet away from me. "This is Jake. He's also a registered Quarterhorse. He is mom's horse. I just found out that he's also been a barrel racer before we got him. I've been riding him in the arena and he seems to do pretty good. Would you come out and time him with me?"

"Sure. Just give me about 20 minutes to talk to your mom and take care of some business and I'll come out to the arena."

"Okay. We'll go practice some more." She replied. "Mom was expecting you and said to tell you to just go in. She'll be in the Study."

I went on into the house and went to the study where I found Melissa working at her computer. As I entered, she looked up and asked "What do you think of 'Oregon Grass Valley Ranch'?"

"I've never heard of it before!" I responded with a smile.

"I mean what do you think of it as a name for our Ranch?" she countered.

"It has a nice sound to it. It distinguishes it from the Grass Valley in California that is better known. For convenience we can locally refer to it as Grass Valley Ranch. I like it very well."

"Trudy and I like it pretty well too! Unless something better occurs to us, I think we'll use it." She replied.

"I'll do a search on it to make sure there are no other business by that name and that the web domain is available."

"Well what are you doing today?" she asked.

"I wanted to help you make arrangements to get your tractor fixed. We need to drive down to your uncle's place and see what he thinks of our ideas. I wanted to talk with the county Water Master about your access to irrigation. And Trudy just asked me to come out and time Jake on the Barrels. She's excited to have found out that he has done barrels too. If he's anything close to as fast as Samantha you may have another valuable horse. I saw on the internet that horses that can do better than 16 seconds are selling for $60,000 and above. Do you have any record of his winnings in the past?"

"Yes, I think the file we received with his papers also had a record of his winnings. I had forgotten completely that he had been a barrel racer until Trudy got so excited about Sam breaking 16 seconds yesterday. Then I remembered that the previous owner sold him to us after their daughter was killed in an auto accident. Since I wasn't thinking about him as a racer I completely forgot about them telling us that their daughter used to barrel race with him. He's been such a good cow horse that I never thought about it again."

"Let me see what I can find." She stated as she turned to open a file drawer and began thumbing through the files in it.

"Ah, here it is." She said as she pulled a file folder out and perused several sheets from it. "Wow! It looks like he has several sub-16 second times on his record. He's been in the prize money at least six times."

"Let's look up his record on the internet and see what we can find" I suggested.

After scrolling through several pages of Google results we found a web site reporting barrel racing horse career winnings. By entering his AQH registration number we sound found his record. With his previous owner he had taken three first places at regional rodeos winning a total of $43,000. We decided that Melissa had gotten a real bargain when she purchased him for $3,750."

"Before we go out and tell Trudy, can we make a couple calls? Do you have a preferred mechanic to work on your tractor?" I asked.

"I've always worked with the John Deere dealer in The Dalles. They have been great to work with and don't seem to take advantage of me." She replied. "I've known the maintenance shop manager since I was in high school. What should I ask him?"

"Just describe what happens when you try to put it in gear and ask him if he has any idea what the problem might be. Then ask him what it may cost to repair it. Ask for a low and a high estimate."

She then made the call, described the problem, and was given her estimates.

"He suggested we remove the cover panel beside the seat and check for a broken transfer arm. If that is the problem he can ship one out and we may be able to replace it ourselves." She reported after hanging up the phone.

"We'll have to take a look at that before we go visit your uncle." I said.

I then called up the Water Master and after identifying the exact property description he reported that Melissa had what was called "Unlimited water rights. Apparently her husband's grand father had been one of the charter members of the irrigation district when it was set up. Each of them were granted perpetually unlimited water rights on their homestead properties. The water rights could not be sold but continued to apply to the original homestead for any future owner.

The access source could be from either irrigation ditches or from wells. Since there were no longer any functioning irrigation ditches nearby the only remaining access would be from wells.

"How big is the well you get your house water from? Do you have any other wells?" I asked Melissa.

She answered "As far as I know the only well we have is the one for water on the home site. I think I heard Steve telling Tom that it was 275 feet deep and had a 6 inch casing. It looks like there is a 2 inch pipe coming out of it to supply the water for our house and barns. We have never run out of water for sprinkling the yard or for the barns."

"We may need to drill another well for Irrigation because a 6 inch casing is too small for an irrigation sized pump to use." I suggested. "Let's go see Trudy and Jake run the Barrels now".

Melissa agreed and we walked out to the barnyard and through the barn just in time to see Trudy and Jake burst out of the arena at top speed. When she saw us she directed Jake to come over. She was still breathing hard with excitement and her exertion. "I think he is faster than Sam, she said. He just feels faster and stronger on the corners anyway".

"Well let's see what the stop watch says" I said as we continued to walk to the opening in the arena. "Why don't you take a slow walk around the arena to let Jake take a breather before we time him? He still looks pretty energetic but let's let him catch his breath first."

As they walked around the arena I asked Melissa "Well are you going to take up barrel racing too now that you have a barrel racing horse?"

"No, I'm too old for that kind of activity. Maybe we'll let Beverly ride him. She's a pretty good rider too. Or I guess there's no reason Trudy couldn't race two horses is there?"

"I don't think there is an issue. Since they each race against the clock individually that could work. Perhaps we'd have to request that they don't run him back to back with Sam so that Trudy has time to catch her breath between races." I speculated.

By this time Trudy was back.

"Let me know when your ready." I stated as I readied my wrist watch for timing.

"I'm ready" she called moments before they rushed the gate. Again, I just barely pressed the start button in time. This time I was ready and waiting on the stop button because I had a better sense of how short the time it took was.

After pulling Jake to a stop she turned to ask "Well, how did he do?"

"The way I read it my stop watch says he made it in 15.75 seconds." I slowly read off the numbers.

"WuHoo!" she shouted. "We have another winner! Do you want to time him again?"

"Okay, once more, then we have to get ready to go visit Uncle Perry." Melissa responded.

The second timing was identical. With that Melissa and I headed over to the machine shop to get some tools. Melissa had a very nice tool case with two 16 inch wheels mounted on one side. Grabbing the handles and tipping it made it very much like a hand truck. The large wheels made it easy to pull over the rough ground. I pulled it over to the field tractor in the machine shed. It was only the work of 10 minutes to find that there was indeed a transfer arm which was broken. I went ahead and removed it while we were there.

We took the tool box back to the shop. Went into the house. I finished washing my hands at the sink in the back porch just as Trudy came in.

"You need to wash up and change into better cloths to go visit Uncle Perry" she was informed by Melissa as we both went into the kitchen.

"Would you like a soda while we wait on Trudy?" she asked me.

"I don't think I've ever seen her so excited." Melissa observed. "Since Tom left, she has not really had much interest in anything. Although they haven't been very close in five years, it seems to have taken something out of her. It's really good to see her so excited again. And the way she's gone into calling people about her new business opportunity! It's like she's a new girl. I sure hope that works out well for her. I'd hate to see her get disappointed again."

"Oh! I need to go call the John Deere maintenance guy and tell him to send us the part!" she added.

"Sure, I know where they are. I can help myself so you don't need to get up. I'll get you a Pepsi too." I turned around and retrieved a diet Pepsi and two cans of Mountain Dew then returned to the kitchen. Melissa had just put ice into two glasses. When she saw I had a third can, she pulled another glass from the cupboard and put ice in it as well.

I handed her the Pepsi and poured each of the Mountain Dew cans into the other glasses. I took one of the glasses and sat down at the Table with Melissa.

She left and a couple minutes later she came back walking on air. "It's only going to cost us $53.00 for the part! And to think I was worrying about it for over a week. Stressing out about having to buy a new tractor or maybe even loosing the farm. Since I met you; every time I turn around, something good is happening to me.

About then we heard Trudy coming down the staircase. She burst into the room with her golden hair tied up in pigtails. In shorts and a halter top she still looked like a little girl rather than the young women she had appeared when riding.

"Oh, Thanks for the Dew" she said as she spied the frosty glass on the counter. She hurried to catch up with us and finished her glass just as I finished mine. Melissa took another drink and finished hers as well. We all rinsed our glasses and placed them in the dish washer where yesterday's lunch dishes were still unwashed.

"May as well start the dishwasher now. Our breakfast dishes and these cups almost have it full." Melissa said as she poured in some cleaning detergent and pushed the start button.

As we were leaving the house I called "Shotgun" and laughed at Trudy's expression.

"I didn't know you were riding with us" she complained.

"Well it wouldn't make sense for him to drive up by himself when we had room for him would it?" Melissa prompted.

"I guess not. I just never thought about it." Trudy replied as she went through the side door, pushed the door button and climbed into the back seat.

I followed her mother into the garage and went to the front passenger seat while Melissa slid behind the wheel.

Our conversation during the forty five minute drive down to Antelope focused mainly on horses, barrel racing, and other rodeo events.

Soon we were driving up a lane into another turn-of-the-century farm house. It was neat and well kept as was the yard and the outbuildings around it. There was a late model Cadillac parked in the carport near the house. As we stopped in the driveway near a gate which led to the side door the door opened and a man looking almost identical to Steve came out followed by a short petit lady with white hair and a big smile. Even the voice was Steve's as he called out "There's my two favorite nieces and a new Beau?"

"Stop it Uncle Perry", giggled Melissa. "This is Leon who is just a friend who rescued me from a rain storm and broken down car."

"Well from what Steve says, it sounds like he's about to rescue your farm too." He replied.

"That may be true, but let's not get the cart before the horse. I'm still a married woman and cannot have a beau." She said quietly.

By this time he had greeted both women with a hug and turned to shake my hand. "Anyone who will stop in the middle of a rain storm to help someone out is OK in my books. Welcome to our home".

"And I second that" came from the little women who had also hugged each of the girls.

"This is my favorite aunt, Dafne. Dafne, please meet Leon, our new friend." Melissa said as Dafne reached up and gave me a hug as well.

"Where is Pebbles" called Trudy from the living room as we entered the kitchen.

"She's in our bedroom" Answered Dafne. "She got in a fight with a neighbor's dog and is not feeling too well right now. We got her back from the Vet this morning."

"Pebbles is their cat who has been Trudy's friend for years." Melissa explained for my benefit.

"Lunch will be ready in about 30 minutes. Why don't you sit down at the table and we can visit while I finish up? Can I get you anything to drink?" Dafne asked.

"I'll have a glass of water, please" I answered.

"The same for me" was from Melissa as we sat down across the dinning room table from the kitchen.

Perry came in and sat down at the table as well.

Melissa shared with them about the inheritance money, the unexpected insurance, the shopping trip, the Marketing meeting.

She even got to today's business. "You know how I was stressing out over the field tractor being broke down?"

"Yes, you were really worried about it." Perry acknowledged.

"Well, Leon got me to finally call someone about it and helped open it up to see what was wrong and its only going to cost fifty three dollars for the part and we can put the new one in ourselves. The part should be here Monday so we should be able to have the field tractor running again by Tuesday at the latest."

"That is great news, Melissa" Dafne said from the kitchen. "It just goes to show you how little value worrying is. Ninety percent or more of the things we tend to worry about are wasted worries because either they don't come to pass, or there's nothing we can do about them anyway."

"You want to go get Trudy. The food is ready to eat now." She added.

Melissa went into the living room and down the hall. Soon she returned with a subdued looking Trudy.

"Don't look so sad Sweetie" came from Perry "Pebbles will be as good as new with a few more days to heal"

"I hope so" said Trudy "She just looks so bad now. And I just know she hurts all over"

We were soon all seated and food consumption was under way. Conversation was limited to brief dialogs about current events, personal news, and other items of small talk.

When we were starting our desert Perry turned to Melissa and said "Well Girl. Tell us your story."

She was flustered a little, and after a short pause she said "You mean about our ranch business plan?"

"Well you didn't drive all the way down here to tell us about the Birds and the Bees did you?" he blustered. The twinkle in his eye belied the tone of his voice.

She proceeded to give him the whole discussion abbreviated where possible. I didn't have to pitch in at all this time to help her. She had a remarkable understanding of the plan by now.

She finished up by asking him "What do you think of the name Oregon Grass Valley Ranch?"

"That's perfect dear" spoke up Dafne. "It tells everyone where it is and yet has a nice sound to it.

And I suppose you want me to invest in your little enterprise eh?" came from Uncle Perry.

"Actually we only came to ask you to be one of our board members. When Leon said we needed some people we could trust to give good advice on farming and ranching and on business in general, I immediately thought of you and Steve. Nobody I could think of knows as much about what it takes to run a ranch and a business as you two. With you, Steve, and Emma helping me I don't think it will be possible to fail"

"Well I thank you for the vote of confidence" he began "And I would be honored to join your board of directors. I also really like the ideas behind the structure you are setting up! In fact, in a week or so, I'd like to talk with you Leon about setting something like that up for my farm. Dafne and I have been talking about retiring for some time but have not come up with a good idea on how to do it yet. None of our children are interested in farming at all but I'd really hate to have the farm I've worked so hard and long for to just go to the highest bidder. There's a kid from down the road who just came back from University with a degree in Agriculture. He grew up on the farm and knows how to work hard. His father's farm is really only big enough to support one family and his older brother is pretty much locked into that."

"Given your idea for a structure which would gradually turn control over to the operator as he proves his responsibility I might want to talk with him about taking over my farm."

"I'll be happy to work with you and him to set something like that up. Here is my business card. Just give me a call when your ready to work on it and I'll make a trip down here to see what we can work out.

"That's great! I'll definitely give you a call" he said.

"By the way Melissa," he started "How is that herd of Morgan horses I sent up to you doing? And have the Angus cows started calving yet?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close