Companion - Book 1 of Evolution
Chapter 21: Money for Nothing

Copyright© 2014 by Misguided Child

'and Tricks for free' - Dire Straits - 1985

Caleb drummed his fingers on the steering wheel in time to the old rock and roll song playing on Gabriela's radio. He hadn't bothered changing the station after he drove away with her car. Strangely, Gabriela and her 'Uncle Caleb' have similar tastes in music. The classic rock that she listened to amused her parents. That was their music, not their daughter's! It wasn't natural!

Caleb considered his options. JJ, Kim and Blake were his family, and they were in danger. Ten thousand dollars wasn't enough to be effective in protecting his family. He needed a way to make a lot of untraceable money, fast. A card game would do the trick, but the IRS, and therefore the General, could track him in the casinos. One of the underground games was the best solution he could think of. They were often crooked games, too. Caleb didn't feel quite as bad about 'cheating' them with Al's help. He had hoped to secure a money supply tonight, but a few telephone calls while at Francisco's had laid that idea to rest. The locations that he knew of with games were busy with Monday Night Football, and all the betting the game entailed. He would have to work on the money idea later in the week, and would work on countermeasures against the General tonight, instead.

Simply running would not be an effective strategy against General Branch. He needed to find a way to give the General a lot more to think about than Caleb and his family. He considered the General's bosses in Washington DC, and what marching orders they may have given the General. Caleb nodded to himself.

"Al, the purpose of any government is to protect itself, and to grow like any other organism. With that in mind, what do you think the General's orders are, concerning your ship's crash?" Caleb asked.

"They would consider news of an extraterrestrial to be a threat to the economy and governmental stability," Al replied. "His orders must be to keep any information about the crash out of the news."

Caleb nodded to himself in agreement. Understanding the enemy's goals, also gave clues about their strengths and weaknesses. Caleb had always been particularly adept at undermining enemy's strengths, and taking advantage of an enemy's weakness.

He abruptly turned into a strip mall. Ten minutes later, Caleb was back on the road with some water and some new equipment. He was disgusted with the price of his liter of water that, comparing liter to liter, cost more than a gallon of gas. He also had two throw away cell phones, with thirty minutes preloaded on each of them, and an overpriced voice recorder. Whatever he did, he would need to be able to communicate. He also wanted to get this story recorded, in his own voice, in case something happened to him. The story of the crashed space-ship could also be a deterrent to his enemies, if placed in the correct hands.

Caleb smiled before picking up one of the throw away phones. He had been in this town for a lot of years, and he had contacts at all levels of the social strata.


JJ had explained to Kim and Blake about Caleb sending Jorge to their house as Kim's boy friend.

"Ewww," Kim complained. "Who would think I would go out with a gangbanger? I left the bad boy scene behind about the same time I got out of the eighth grade."

"Caleb thinks we need him for protection, and he can't come himself," JJ explained patiently. "He's sending Jorge for protection, but also to give the General another loose end to manage. The men watching us don't know that he's not your type. Just be polite to him, when he gets here. He's trying to help."

JJ answered the phone when Jorge called, and said it was okay for him to visit. She reminded him that Kim needed to be at her friend's to study by seven, hoping that she sounded authentic. She was relieved when Jorge acted like he understood what she was talking about.

Kim was peeking through the curtains of her room when Jorge parked in their driveway. She was disgusted by the beat up old Dodge truck that he was driving. Kim couldn't believe his arrogance, as she watched him saunter to the front door. Hauteur seeming to flow from him like water from a faucet. She reluctantly admitted, to Alice, that the young Mexican might be able to justify his arrogance with his looks. He wasn't much older than she was. He had longish hair, but not so long that he could wear it in a pony tail. His body was slim, and his movements were graceful, like a fighter, or a matador. Kim just happened to be standing a few paces behind her mother, when JJ answered the door.

Jorge flowed through the door with a confident strut that would set any man's teeth on edge, if he were near their women. The door closed, and the arrogance disappeared like water down a drain. He quickly stepped to the side, and looked through the shades of the window beside the door.

"You are the holy man's ... Caleb's lady," Jorge stated, continuing to watch the men outside. "I saw you Saturday night at Refugio. I am Jorge. Are those some of the men that you fear?"

JJ was startled by the abrupt change in Jorge's demeanor, as was Kim.

"Did Caleb explain what we're up against?" JJ asked. At Jorge's nod, she continued with, "I think they're operatives working with General Branch. Different men parked there, right after I got home. A little while later, these two showed up and the other two left."

Jorge nodded slowly, his eyes narrowing, still looking through the window and softly mused, "The holy man explained that part of his plan was to give them too many loose ends to handle." He looked away from the window, meeting JJ's eyes, and asked, "Do you think Caleb would mind if I gave them more loose ends?"

JJ was startled by the question, and the directness of this young man, and shook her head no.

He nodded again, as he turned back to the window, and unclipped his cell phone from his belt. Jorge hit speed dial, and, after selecting a number, began giving rapid orders in Spanish when the call was answered on the second ring. Amy and Alice translated for JJ and Kim.

Jorge ordered whoever answered to bring a friend, and park close behind the car with the two men in it. No drugs, weapons, or loud music. Bring a book, he ordered, and suggested bibles or school books. He also warned them to expect the police to come and try to roust them. When that happened, they were to explain they were waiting for Jorge, and point out that the men parked ahead of them had been there longer than they were. If they were ordered to leave, they were to ask permission, politely, to notify Jorge before they left.

He turned back to JJ, after he hung up, and, with the bright smile of innocence, said, "One way to keep a kitten from scratching furniture, is to give them something else to worry about. Those gatos will have something else to worry about, soon," he said with a grin, jerking his head towards the door.

Jorge held out a hand and said, "I did not mean to be rude, but I thought those men needed to be taken care of before anything else. I am Jorge," he repeated, introducing himself.

"I'm JJ," JJ replied, returning the young man's smile, and shaking his hand. "This is Kim, and that's Blake," she said, nodding at Kim and then at Blake who had just entered the hall.

"It is good to meet you, JJ," Jorge said as he released her hand. He turned to Kim and Blake, and gave a little quarter bow before saying, "And it is good to meet the two of you."

"He's just like every other man," Kim complained. "All he thinks about is sex!"

"You're wrong. Look a little deeper, dear," JJ admonished. "He thinks we are beautiful, and sex is often associated with thoughts like that in a young man. He also has no intentions of attempting to advance his interests with us."

"Why not?" Kim blurted in her mind, sounding plaintive even to herself. Then she followed her mother's instruction, and looked deeper, and asked, "Why does he think we're the holy man's family?"

"Ask him yourself," JJ advised as she turned to Jorge and asked, "Would you like some coffee, tea, or a soda?"

"Cold water, or tea would be very nice," Jorge said politely, as he followed the family into the kitchen.

JJ waved towards the kitchen table, and Jorge followed Kim and Blake's lead, sitting down.

"Why do you call Caleb a holy man?" Kim asked.

"He sees to the heart of things, and takes the correct action, based on what he sees," Jorge explained with a shrug. "That is the definition of 'holy man' that my mama taught me. It is a power, and he uses it for good."

"Why do you call us his family, and why do you think you need to protect us?" Blake asked, not quite keeping the challenge out of his voice.

Jorge nodded towards JJ in thanks, as she placed tall glasses of iced tea on the table and said, "Your mother is Caleb's woman and he cares for her very much. When he learned that she was in danger, he didn't hesitate to begin taking action. His focus is on the safety of the three of you, even above his own safety. Falling into the enemy's clutches would only expose you more. Those are the thought processes of a man for his family."

"He really said that?" Kim blurted the question, startled.

"Not exactly," Jorge admitted. "Men do not speak of things in that manner." He turned to Blake and said, "The holy man was very clear that you are the man of the house, and are perfectly capable of protecting your family. However, I have different resources than you do. Two friends will be parking out front in a few minutes. They will be carrying bibles, or school books. They could just as easily be carrying weapons."

"You're a gang member," Kim accused.

Jorge shrugged and said to Kim, "Si." He looked at Blake and asked, "Do you have friends that you spend a lot of time with, for protection?"

"I have friends that I hang with," Blake admitted. "I wouldn't say it was for protection, though."

"Every school, and every neighborhood, has men that prey on other men," Jorge stated flatly. "Is your school so different?"

"Are you talking about bullies?" Blake asked. At Jorge's nod, he continued with, "We have bullies, and they don't bother us as much when we're together," he admitted.

Jorge turned back to Kim, considering that portion of the conversation closed, and stated flatly, "I belong to a gang. We 'hang out' together because it is safer. We protect one another. When necessary, we avenge one another."

He looked around the table, beginning to get upset with these upright, white, examples of middle America. He was trying to help them, and they were treating him just like many of the other whites that he had met. He was certain JJ didn't feel that way. For some reason, she was allowing her children to deal with the consequences of their bigotry.

JJ had touched him, so she knew what the young man was feeling, and thinking. Kim and Blake were only getting vague impressions. JJ could have steered the conversation into safer venues, or given them a clue about Jorge. She didn't because she wanted her children to figure this out on their own. Strangely enough, JJ could tell that Jorge could feel her acceptance, and focused his ire on her children.

"I am a US Citizen but all many see, when they look at me, is a Mexican. There are people in this country that don't like us, but still want to use us," Jorge explained levelly, not bothering to hide the anger in his voice. "There are many types of violent gangs that we protect ourselves from. Some wear vests and ride motorcycles, and others wear suits and ride in limousines. There are also violent gangs in Mexico that don't like us, because we won't join them. They want us to provide a conduit for their drugs, and extortion of my people. Many 'gangs' have succumbed to the pressures from both sides of the border."

Jorge sipped his iced tea before continuing with, "My 'gang' as you call us, wants wives, and homes, and families. We want our children to have more than we had, the same as your parents try to secure for you. There are few avenues for us to advance, in Mexico or in the United States. By sticking together, and supporting one another, we can create our own path for a better future. We are realists, and understand that words are very thin armor, so we are armed. We will fight, and we will kill when we are attacked."

Jorge glanced at JJ before explaining, "The holy man has accepted us, so we accept him. That means that we must accept, and protect, his family the same as any of our other families. If you were my sister's family, I would have twenty armed men around this house. Caleb has asked that I be more circumspect. He explained what he wanted to do, but was vague about the how. I think calling two of my friends to park on the street is within the guidelines he gave me."

Kim reached across the table and touched the back of one of Jorge's hands, saying, "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to offend you. Thank you for helping us."

"Yeah, me too," Blake said gruffly, holding out a hand to shake.

Jorge shook Blake's hand, and his smile lit the room.

"Aaron, why aren't you giving me some clues here?" Blake asked his Companion.

"Because you had already decided what he was like, based on his looks," Aaron said with disapproval.

"Both of you did," Alice pointed out, including Kim in the silent conversation.

"There was no danger to anyone, and some things are better learned rather than being told," Aaron continued. "Things are not always as they look."

"I'm sorry," Kim and Blake said in unison, in their minds.

"There is nothing to be sorry about," Amy told both of them, including JJ in the conversation. "You are young. But you will need to gain wisdom quickly, based on what I learned today."

"Now," Jorge said, setting aside his irritation. "What did you mean when you said Kim needed to be someplace at seven tonight?"

Kim and JJ, between them, explained that Kim needed to be at her friend's house to work on an important school report. Kim explained why the report was so important, and then Jorge also asked if the report was more important than her life, just like JJ had.

"If it was just me, no," Kim said with exasperation. "There are other people whose grade depends on this report, too. I think I could afford the hit on my grades, but I don't know if the others could."

"What is the report about?" asked Jorge, honestly curious.

"It's an Honors Writing class," Kim said, trying to describe the class. "It goes beyond just writing though. We cover current events and history, government, art ... a lot of stuff. This will be a multimedia report, given in front of the class. He broke the class up in five groups of four. We pick a subjects from a list of twenty subjects."

"But what is the report about?" Jorge asked.

"We picked American Poverty," Kim replied, and was surprised by Jorge's snort.

"You should go south of the border if you want to see real poverty," Jorge said.

"By US standards, I am sure it is worse," Kim admitted. "The subject we picked is American Poverty, but that is a big subject. We needed to narrow the scope of the report to do it right. Our report is titled, 'Government Welfare: Safety Net or Prison?'."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close