Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 25: Progress in Tiny Steps

The Beagle and the Argo landed at Holloman, in time for another breakfast. Once in the office, I requested written reports from those concerned with our little adventure. I wrote a summary covering the rest of the points. I sent copies to the Secretary for Space, Bob Mather, and to the Federation Ambassador, Kerl Rand.

I spent the rest of the morning catching up with the reports that had come in to me. Roas had said that Reginald Higginbottom was turning into such an able Planetary Governor that he was sending other Governors-Designate to Secundus for training.

The Benjamin Franklin had been built and put into service. In the event of there being more goods to be conveyed than there was room to contain them, other containers could be easily towed. It was not only doing the rounds of the Earth's colonies, but it was doing a regular run to Karse (only two hours and forty two minutes away at warp 6.7) as well.

Roas had recruited local instructors who had been sent to Secundus for familiarization with the colonists equipment donated by the Larsians. He was going to step up his throughput as soon as they returned and became operational.

By the time the lunch break came around, I was exhausted. It had been a long day. I told Shona that I would not be returning from lunch and that she should not try to contact me unless it was urgent. After lunch, I did not linger. I went home to bed. I was asleep in seconds.

The next thing I knew, Looess was shaking my shoulder. I looked at my bedside clock. It said six thirty-four. I guessed that it was still the same day.

"What is it, Looess?"

"If you don't get up now, you'll never be able to sleep tonight. Besides which, Washington has been trying to get hold of you. Apparently they want to arrange a VIP visit to Secundus, and I need you to arrange it for them."

"How many will there be in the party?" I asked.

"I don't know. Bob didn't say. What he did say, however, was that he would not be available to talk with you, and that you should send a shuttle for him to come and see you. He said that he would be ready at nine o'clock tomorrow morning. I'll let you get dressed now."

I got up and rang Brian to ask him to collect Bob in the morning. Looess, and I decided to skip returning to the Mess, and we talked, and watched a little television, before retiring for the night.

The next morning, I went into the office early, in case Shona had anything that needed my attention before Bob Mather arrived from Washington. The little that was there was soon completed. I was about to ask Shona for a coffee when I spotted the Argo landing on the runway across from my office.

Three figures stepped out of the craft. I recognized Bob Mather as he turned, and shook Brian's hand. The third figure looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place him as he and Bob crossed the road to our offices. I quickly finished signing the pile of documents that had been in front of me, and sat back waiting for my visitors. Shona showed them in.

"Good morning, mister Mather, and ... aren't you Gerald Grieves?"

Yes, Admiral. I'm surprised that you remembered me. Thanks to your visit to the United Nations, I've been promoted. I now represent the Secretary General in space matters. So I have to thank you for my promotion."

"Well good for you. Come, and sit down. How do you like your coffee?

"Black, please."

A moment later, Shona entered the office with a tray bearing three coffees. Black for Gerald, with cream for Bob and a dash of milk for me. I knew she would have been listening on the intercom, and I also knew that Kate would have briefed her on my visitors' tastes.

"I understand that you two are here to arrange a visit to our colonies. Tell me more."

"Our masters," said Bob, "feel the urge to see what's going on for themselves."

"It's more than idle curiosity," added Gerald, "There are questions being tabled about the use of Earth resources in setting up the colonies. They do really need to see for themselves."

"How many will there be in the party?"

"Why what difference will that make?" asked Bob.

"If it's just the President, the Secretary General, and you two, we could use the Argo. Up to about twenty, we would need the Beagle. Over that number, we would probably need a bulk carrier."

That gave them a laugh.

"Seriously though," I continued, "we'll need to know numbers to let the colonies know how many to expect. We can't just turn up with a crowd on their doorstep. They won't be able to cope. Even a planned visit will put back their timetables. I know. I've done it."

"Well, we'll do our best to keep the numbers down," said Bob, "but why the restriction on people on the Argo? It's not likely that we'll be out more than one day. We shouldn't be using cabin space."

"That's not the way to plan it. You never know in space. That's why we always err on the side of safety. Will you leave the choice of the day of the trip up to me?"

"Why?" asked Gerald.

"Well, the two worlds you want to visit—and Earth—all rotate at different rates. That means to get the visits fitted into one day, that day must be chosen carefully."

"I see," said Gerald, "in that case, we'll leave it up to you, as long as it's soon."

"Right, is there anything else?"

"No," said Bob, "That's all we really came for. Thank you. We hope to hear from you soon."

"Would you care for a tour of the base, and to stay for lunch?"

"No, thank you. We've got a lot on at the moment, but I'd like to visit again when we're not so busy," said Gerald.

We said our goodbyes, and I alerted Brian to be ready for the return trip. I then gave Shona the task of determining a suitable time for our proposed visit, suggesting that she could consult a physicist if one was available.

Later that day, Shona told me that a suitable day for our trip to the colonies would be in five days time. She told me that Ensign Robert Wells had calculated the solution for her. In turn, I sent Bob, and Gerald an email giving them the times for the three planet tour. I had added the stormy planet of Tertius to the list.

Two days later, I had another surprise visitor. It was Colonel Crisp, who commanded the Air Force Base next door.

Once the pleasantries had been completed he asked, "have you any idea when your new planets will be open to tourists? I mean, do you think that they will be able to cater to visitors? Have you any idea yet, what such a trip will cost?"

"Tell me ... Donald, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Tell me, Donald, what do you have in mind?"

"Well, you see, it's like this. My present enlistment is due to end soon, and as I see it, there are no suitable promotion vacancies available to me. Ada and I have been discussing what we might do back in civilian life. We liked what young Brian told us about your new colony world, and we wondered whether we would like to retire there. I still have a few good years left in me, and I thought I might be able to contribute."

"So what you're asking is, could you and Ada go, and see if you think that you'd like the colonial life?"

"Yes."

"Well then, stay to lunch and meet with Roas. He runs a training course for would-be colonists. He would be able to give you a better idea about life in the sticks than I can. I'll let him know what you have in mind, and see you over there."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close