Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 24: Squabbles and Sense

Returning to the Mess, I found Brian Crisp. He was one of our people who knew how to operate the educator. I instructed him to set up one in Djerbohr's cabin with the modules for Phlerph, while I did the same with the modules on Derst in Fulta's cabin. Once set up, we were to apply the antidote, start the educators and withdraw.

Brian had not learned either of their languages, so for the next stage, I used Norman. We entered their cabins accompanied by a cook with a food trolley. We informed our 'guests' that the conference would start in half an hour, and that their attendance would be 'appreciated'.

Half an hour later we escorted our guests to my day cabin, and made them comfortable.

"May I ask why we are here?" said Fulta.

"I demand to know where we are?" added Djerbohr.

"To answer your last question first, you are on a space vessel, half way between your two worlds."

As they took that in, Fulta looked rather thoughtful, while Djerbohr looked ready to explode. He had started to splutter, his face going an ever deepening red color.

"And to answer your question," I said, turning to Fulta, "it is that I would like to prevent either one, or both, of your worlds from being destroyed. If your worlds carry on as they have been doing, then there is a very real possibility of that happening.

"How do you mean?" asked Djerbohr. His face was still red, but he had stopped spluttering.

"The worlds in this part of the universe are a very peaceful lot, but I doubt that they would tolerate your belligerency for each other, They would leave it to a race like mine to apply he ultimate sanction. A solution that I must say, that I would not enjoy."

"What can we do?" asked Fulta.

"You must moderate your hatred for each other. I realize that it has to be a slow process, but eventually your cooperation will become the key to your being admitted to the Federation of Worlds. Now, how can we bring this about?"

"There is no hatred of our neighbors," said Djerbohr.

"No, of course not. Not any longer," added Fulta.

"That's not quite what I heard. What is this 'Abomination in our sky'?" I asked.

"That may have been the attitude a long time ago, but there's nothing like that now," said Fulta.

"Of course not," agreed Djerbohr.

"Oh, good," I said, "in that case I'll arrange for you two to exchange diplomatic State visits."

"That currently would not be a good idea, at this time," said Fulta.

"Hrmph." added Djerbohr in agreement.

"Why ever not?" I asked innocently.

"Well," said Fulta, "it's like this. You see there are..."

"What, I think, that he's trying to say," interrupted Djerbohr, "is that in the more backward portions of our population there are, what I would call, extremists, who still cling to the idea that our neighbors are threatening our way of life. These extremists could still cause trouble if they were given the opportunity. I mean..."

"I'm afraid that the same situation still exists on Phlerph." added Fulta.

"As I see it," I said, "the solution is simple. You must tell your people that there are other races in the Galaxy, and that these races are very advanced. You must also tell them that to join the Federation of Civilized Worlds, you must prove that you yourselves are civilized, and can cooperate with other races. You must show this by the cooperation between your two worlds. Remember, Gentlemen, time is running out."

I wasn't quite sure what I meant by that last phrase, but it sounded impressive.

"I'll leave you now, I said, "to discuss how you are going to bring about a peaceful solution."

I got up and returned to the bridge. Lieutenant JG Chubb was officer of the watch, and he was chatting with JG Gregson. Tom looked up as I entered.

He said, "Phyllis asked if you could go and see the Ladies as soon as it was convenient."

"Right oh, Chubby," I turned and made for the cabin which housed the Ladies. I knocked and heard Phyllis say, "come in."

"I heard you wanted me."

"Yes Silla, here, has a proposition to put to you."

"What's that, Silla?"

"It's obvious to me, and also to Zuela," said Silla, "that you will need some sort of agent, or representative on our two worlds. It wouldn't seem right for Fulta, and Djerbohr to be those agents, but we thought that we could fulfill that role. What do you think?"

"I think that is an excellent idea. Tell me, however, why you don't think that your menfolk should be used?"

"Because," said Zuela, "there might be a conflict of interests. We can see that your program is right for our worlds, but they have to listen to everybody's point of view. They might not agree with you, and then where should we all be."

"I agree with you, but I'm not the one you should be talking to,"

I tapped my comms badge,

"Looess?"

"Yes, Bill?"

"Could you come to cabin eighteen please?"

A few moments later, she entered the cabin."

"Ah, Looess, meet Silla, and Zuela, who are talking about becoming Federation Agents on their own worlds."

"How can I help?"

"I've never recruited an agent before, so that I'm not sure what is involved."

With Phyllis there, I didn't mention that my own recruitment had been singularly uninformative. Looess looked at the pair, and held out her arms. Silla jumped to her feet and hugged Looess. Zuela promptly followed her. Looess then sat between them.

"Ladies, do you wear rings on your fingers in your culture?"

They agreed that they did, and spent several minutes discussing the styles of rings that were valued in their societies. Phyllis and I were obviously sidelined. While Looess was talking to Silla, and Zuela, Phyllis was telling me that, in her opinion, the Ladies were genuine in their offer to become our agents.

I knew they were, from the information that their minds were broadcasting. I knew that Looess knew it too. Looess escorted the Ladies out of the cabin, giving me a wink as she did so.

Phyllis, and I returned to the Mess to find that our two male guests had emerged from my day cabin and were chatting with Norman, and John George.

"Ah, there you are. We think that we've solved our immediate problems," said Fulta, "I shall have no problem in returning as I know that my son, and heir, would not try to usurp my throne."

"My case is more serious," said Djerbohr, "I have colleagues who would jump at a chance to dispose of me."

I had pondered about this possibility, but concluded that we could probably get around it, if it arose.

"However, there is a very good friend of mine, General Ickkup, who would be on my side in the event of any trouble. Once we are both back in power, we can explain that you will be visiting our worlds again in, say, half a year. At that time you will consider the attitudes of our minorities, and if you find them favorable, you will bring us some of your technology. What do you think of our plan?"

I quickly scanned his mind, and could not detect any reservations.

"In that case, Gentlemen, we have a date in half a year's time. As soon as your Ladies join us, you are all invited to dine with us."

It was the custom on the Beagle to make the evening meal a formal occasion every once in a while so that when it happened for real, there were no slip-ups. While Tom Chubb may not have had a hand in preparing the food, I detected his touch in the formulation of the menu. Our guests certainly appeared to enjoy our cuisine.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close