Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 17: Murder on Mymass

Firph had startled me with his dire words, and my immediate thought was to jump up, and follow him. However, common sense prevailed.

"Calm down, Firph. How long do you think this problem is going to last."

"I, uhh ... don't know. At least fifty of your days, I should say, but I really don't know."

"Kate." I called through the still open door, "Phone my quarters to fetch me luggage for a month's away mission. I'll be in the Mess."

"Aye aye, Admiral."

"Come, Firph. If we're going to be traveling, let's get a meal before we start. Do you have any crew on your craft?"

"No. I came alone. That's probably why I'm so jumpy. You're right, of course. I need to explain what's happened in case it affects what you need to take with us."

I was able to show Firph a good Earth meal in the Mess while he told me his tale. It seems that not all worlds in the Federation spread goodness, and light. The world we were about to visit, Mymass, had been run as a dictatorship of the very worst kind. Their leader, Orgon, did not tolerate any viewpoint other than his own. He must have been the most hated man in the Federation. His world was barely tolerated by the rest of the others. Only the hands-off, no-interference policy kept his world from being taken over.

Well, Firph having described the situation on Mymass, revealed that this dictator had been killed. In spite of their best endeavors, Morss, and Ndvr had not been able to catch the killer. They had too many suspects, all with means, and opportunity, as well as motive.

After dinner, I grabbed my bag, and we boarded Firph's craft. Once we had got past the Oort cloud we set course for Mymass, and retired for the night, or at least to sleep. Six days later we made a landfall at the main space port on Mymass. After a cursory inspection by the space port authorities, Firph took our baggage to where we were staying. Meanwhile, two familiar figures were there to greet me.

"We're very pleased to see you Bill. Has Firph..."

"Explained why we need your fresh mind on..."

"Our problem?"

"Yes, he tells me that you're overwhelmed with suspects, all with means, motives, and opportunities."

"Yes, the only person close to him that wouldn't have committed the murder was his wife, the Lady Meon. We felt that her love for him was uncompromising."

"Didn't your telepathic powers uncover anything?"

"No, all we got from anyone was"

"A sense of gratification, and puzzlement about"

"Who had managed to commit the crime."

"As I understand it from Firph, The much loathed dictator had driven his vehicle out into the countryside, and was found stabbed to death the following morning."

"Yes, that is"

"Essentially correct."

"Do you have any pictures of his body before it was moved?"

"No, but we believe that"

"Some pictures were taken."

I was trying to think back to all the cop shows that I had watched on television. I hoped that something that I had seen would prompt me to proceed in the right direction.

"What was found by or near to the body?"

"He was lying on a blanket. It was thought that he used it"

"To be comfortable while he was there. It was a fine"

"Night. It was, also, reasonably warm."

"Tell me, at what time did he leave his residence?"

"The guard said that it was a little after midnight."

I'm making progress, I thought. I've just had a full sentance from only one of them.

"Who else was in the vehicle?"

"We don't know. The guard couldn't see as the windows are of the one way variety."

"Then, how did the guard know that it was the victim, inside?"

"He recognized the voice which answered the challenge. The password was correct."

"Did anyone enter or leave the residence after that, who shouldn't have?"

"Not obviously. No one entered until next morning when the domestic staff arrived."

By this time, we had arrived at the residence. I would have called it a moated mansion. The guards appeared to be ceremonial, but efficient. We had been challenged at the gate to the grounds, and again at the drawbridge leading to the front door. Once inside, Ndvr asked to see the victim's widow, and we were led to a sumptuous office to be greeted by a young man, introduced as Siple, that I took to be her secretary.

"We would like to"

"See the Lady Meon."

"I'm afraid," replied the young man, "that my mother is indisposed. At the moment, she is unable to see anyone."

"If she feels unable to"

"Meet with all of us, perhaps"

"She would be kind enough to meet"

"With our assistant. He is a very"

"Gentle interviewer. He is from a newly discovered"

"World that has been invited to become"

"An apprentice world."

Lady Meon's son had been looking at Ndvr, and Morss as though he was watching a tennis match. I had been quietly probing his mind, and had discovered that he hated his father, and what he had stood for. At the same time he could not conceive how any one could get close enough to his father to kill him. He was patently innocent of the crime.

"Thank you, gentlemen. If you would be so kind as to wait here, I'll see if my mother is up to seeing any one."

With that, he left us. As the door shut, Morss turned to me.

"You are very quiet, Bill. What did you think of Siple?"

"Well, he certainly didn't do it, and he can't think of anyone who might have done it. What do you two think."

"Oh, we agree with you, but we can't be as sure as you, of his innocence. You are a stronger telepath than we are. That's why we called for your assistance."

"Tell me, what happens if we can not solve this case?"

"Then the leaders of this world are left with the thought that there is a killer lurking amongst them."

"You know, brother, that might not be a bad thing."

"Yes you're right."

At that moment Siple returned.

"Gentlemen, I'm afraid that the Lady Meon can not see anyone now. She has retired for the night. Would you be kind enough to return in the morning?"

"Of course, and please tell her that if she is not."

"Up to seeing us all, then we shall be satisfied."

"If our assistant can interview her."

"I'll be sure to tell her. Goodnight gentlemen."

We left quietly, hardly daring to breathe, or so it felt. Once we were in our vehicle, we relaxed.

"Well, the Lady Meon," I said, "certainly had retired early. It's barely evening."

"We think that an evening."

"Meal is now in order."

"Oh! Pack it in, you two. There's no one here to appreciate your gimmick."

They chuckled in unison. Then Morss directed the vehicle to take us to where we were staying.

"There is someone," said Ndvr, "that we want you to meet."

"He is one of their undercover opposition politicians," continued Morss.

At least they were not finishing each others sentences now. We arrived at the hostelry to find Firph entertaining a smartly dressed man who he introduced as Chad.

"I'm pleased to meet you all," he said. "The police are most upset with the situation. They are so wound up. They could react violently at the slightest excuse."

"Then, we must make."

"Sure that we don't."

"Give them one."

Firph, and I exchanged knowing glances, while Chad just looked bewildered.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close