Per Astra Ad Galaxias - Cover

Per Astra Ad Galaxias

Copyright© 2014 by normist

Chapter 14: A Period of Indecision

It struck me that maybe it wasn't exhaustion that I was feeling, but dissatisfaction with how my life was progressing. Maybe, I needed more action. I thought that our explorations had come to a rather full stop. Was this the result of meeting a more advanced race. Perhaps it was, but what to do about it? Then the penny dropped.

We should resume our exploration of the nearby universe. So far we had reconnoitered stars within about ten to twelve light years. Our new drives would make it simpler to go much further. Within thirty light years of earth there are about seventy stars that are of spectral type F, G, or K. Even if half of these are inhabited, and half the remainder are unsuitable, that still leaves nearly twenty systems for Earth to colonize.

Why choose to limit ourselves to those spectral types? Well, hotter stars usually produce radiation that is harmful, even if a planet is in the habitable zone. Habitable zones, as you should know, are the areas about a star where water can exist on a planet in the form of a liquid. Cooler stars have habitable zones that are so close to the star that planets can have too short a year, and anyway, the planets are often tidally locked to their star. By which, I mean that one side is in perpetual day, while the other is in perpetual night.

My next job was obvious. I had to select which stars we would visit. I picked up the notebook that I had used when I was planning the first trip in Voyager. In it I had three lists of stars with varying degrees of similarity to our sun, together with a list of the nearest star systems of spectral types F, G, or K.

My next decision would be which craft to use, the Beagle or the Endeavour. Then I thought; why not both? The next idea that occurred to me was; why not leave navigation beacons on worlds that we found in the habitable zones. I would have to ask Roas if he could obtain us more of those devices.

I was feeling much better in myself, now that I felt that I was moving forwards again. I realized that the Federation must tread a fine line between overwhelming a new race with help, and leaving them to struggle through on their own. My next decision would be which of the two vessels I would accompany. Again, the answer was obvious. Neither! My days of exploration were over, Perhaps, If I could get a small craft with a crew of half a dozen or so, I could go out to see any worthwhile worlds for myself. I would have to speak with Bob Mather about it.

When I went to the Mess after work, I found that Roas, and Looess had returned from escorting their first batch of colonists, and their pets, to Secundus. They reported that their party appeared to be settling in without too much bother. The farm animals would be following as soon as the colnists had settled in.

"Roas," I said, "It occurred to me that if our exploratory teams could plant beacons on planets in systems that they explore, it would make life simpler on subsequent visits."

"How many would you need?"

"I was thinking about fifty. If we send out two vessels to make initial surveys of up to about twenty star systems each. We get about one suitable planet per star system on average, so that fifty will give us a few extra, in case we need them."

"Remember that on many planets, you will need to plant them in inaccessible places. It would not do if they were either disturbed by wild beasts, or were found by sentient beings. There are examples of each on worlds that you are probably going to visit."

"Will you be going with them?" asked Looess.

"No. I think that my days of going out with the explorers are probably over. What I've been thinking is that it would be nice if I had something in size between a shuttle, and the Enterprise so that I could make quick visits if I needed to."

"That sounds like a good idea," said Roas. "Why don't you have a word with Bob Mather?"

"I think I'll do just that."

The next morning after breakfast, I rang Bob Mather at the White House.

"Yes, Admiral. What can I do for you this bright sunny day?"

"You sound cheerful. Almost disgustingly so! What's up?"

"There have been some changes proposed at the United Nations."

"Oh, yes?"

"Yes. The United Kingdom representative has proposed a number of changes that will lead to a genuine World Government. For example, they're looking into ways to bring all the legal systems into line with one another. For another thing they're looking into the use of a common currency. So far, the process is proceeding with a lot of goodwill on all sides. Now, back to my question, what can I do for you?"

"I was thinking that there is a need for another class of space craft. Now that I'm not so involved in exploration, I feel that I may want to make short trips into the field to look at unusual features. For that, a small craft that's about two or three times larger than a shuttle would be ideal. Tell me, what do you think of my idea?"

"Yes, it's a good idea. It's one that I thought you'd never ask for. I tell you what, Kerl made that suggestion a while back. Your personal pinnace should be arriving at Holloman, next week. All that you need to do is to choose a name. The crew complement is five, and there will be quarters for five passengers, including yourself. By the way, Kah is on his way back here from his world tour. Would you be able to take him home?"

"I'd be glad to. I want to see how they are getting on with their lost compatriots. I also want to see how they are getting on with the colony on Secundus. It will give the pinnace an outing."

After that phone call, I was feeling much more cheerful. I had something to look forward to. I thought that this was a very important feeling, and one to be encouraged in all our activities, both for humans, and any extra terrestrials that we discovered. At that moment Kate entered. She was closely followed by Kah, Weem, and Petty Officer Chubb.

"Good morning, Bil. We were sorry that you were unable to accompany us on our tour. However, I must say, that Chubby was an excellent replacement. I was amazed at the variety we saw in the human race; their appearances, and the range in their standards of living. From my reading, it seems that while we had some variations on Thorangia, it was nowhere near the range that you have here on Earth. How do you all manage to live in harmony?"

"I'm afraid we don't. We try, but our differences often get in the way. We either agree to disagree, or we squabble, sometimes with fatal results. Did your tour give you any ideas about how you might want to proceed on Osmum?"

"Yes, I was most impressed with your Universities. Those in Oxford, and Cambridge in particular. You are to be congratulated.

"I'm afraid that those you mentioned belong to another country. Mind you, we have some pretty good examples over here also."

"I'm sorry, I still have some difficulty in sorting out your national areas. It's been a long time since my people had such divisions. How do you all manage to get along so well. We were welcomed wherever we went."

"I think that your guide was careful in where he took you," I replied. Chubby had a quiet grin on his face.

"I took the advice of the State Department, Admiral," put in Chubby. "They suggested where we should go, and where we shouldn't."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close