Per Astra Ad Galaxias
Chapter 9: The Federation Embassy

Copyright© 2014 by normist

While we had been chatting, we had descended to the cafeteria where the realtor awaited us. She, and Kerl got together at one of the tables while the rest of us discretely admired the views over the East River. A few moments later they got up, and approached us. Kerl Rand ... the Federation Ambassador to Earth had accepted the lease of 830 First Avenue, New York, as the Federation Embassy on Earth.

The realtor beckoned to Mersh, and they retreated into the kitchen area only to appear bearing champagne flutes, and a bottle in an ice bucket. We were soon drinking, and toasting each other.

"Well, Kerl," I asked him, "what will you be doing now?"

"We furnish, and equip the Embassy. Bob has been of great help in preparing our activities for us. Then I think we must look into getting a small space port. Again, Bob has been helpful. He has found a small private airfield in New Jersey with adjacent space available for us."

"Why use an existing airfield? Why not build a brand new space port?"

"Because the initial traffic does not warrant it. Using an existing airfield means that the ancillary staff, and equipment are already in place. When we need a larger space port, it can be built, elsewhere."

"I see. When will you know if it is suitable?"

"Bob has arranged for us to visit it next week. The descent, and ascent path for our space craft must be well off to the side of any runway to avoid collisions with aircraft landing or taking off. In a lot of the airfields he looked at, such available space was too close to the line of the runways."

"Is it far from here?"

"About forty of your miles. That should enable us to use a larger version of your shuttle craft to link the Embassy with our space port. What will you be doing now?"

"Showing Kah, and Weem the sights of Earth, and then returning them to Osmum. After I've inspected the progress, the Seabees are making there, I think we'll be looking at some of the planets we've found, with a view to colonization."

"By the way, Morss, and Ndvr asked me if you could ever be available to work with them again?"

"I suppose I might be. We'll have to see. After our sight-seeing trip, I want to consult you regarding the practical details of our colonization of other planets."

"Of course, we have no intentions of going anywhere in the immediate future," he replied with a grin.

I gathered together my party of Kah, Weem, and Brian Crisp, and we made our way back to our hotel. Much to my surprise when we entered the hotel, we found Lieutenant Commander Bollinger, and Petty Officer Chubb waiting for us.

"Good afternoon, Sir," the Lieutenant Commander said.

"What brings you two, here?" I replied.

"We have completed the current work on Osmum, Sir, and have returned to Earth. I have the lads gathering the materials we will need on Secundus."

"Where?"

"That's the name that has been given to planet three of Epsilon Eridani. It's a lot less of a mouthful, just to call it Secundus. Any way, you're needed to be in the loop concerning the colony there. The White House asked me to recall you to duty. So that your guests don't miss their tour of Earth, I've brought the Petty Officer with me to act as a guide. I gather that he's a friend of theirs. I've arranged that we'll be at the White House in the morning at ten o'clock, if that's suitable to you, Sir."

"Right, at least we can relax this evening."

When the Larsians joined us, we discovered that they had been selecting furniture for the Embassy from a contract furniture supplier. They were hoping to move in the following Tuesday. Bob Mather had arranged for them to interview some office staff starting from the Thursday after they had moved in.

The following morning, Kah, Weem, Brian, and Chubby departed for their sightseeing tour, and I returned to Washington with Chris Bollinger. We went up to Bob Mather's office. I did not know what to expect, for Bob was still in New York. Chris knocked on the door, and opened it for me. I entered, and found myself in front of Doctor Niels Gentry, who like Bob was an agent of the Larsians.

"Come in, Admiral. I thought we could discuss your role in the upcoming colonization of Secundus."

"Yes, Chris has been telling me that name is being used. What is there to discuss?"

"The reports from the Voyager have been very promising. They have located a number of planetary resources, and have been planning some of the overall infrastructure; towns, roads, and so on. What we would like from you are your thoughts on how the colonists should be selected, and how they should be trained."

"Have you thought about asking for volunteers?"

"Yes, but there are a lot of factors which must also be considered. Nationality, and religious bigotry to name, but two."

"As I see it we can take neither into deep space. There just isn't the room for it. Our allegiance can not be to any particular Nation on Earth, but must be to Earth itself, and to the Federation of Worlds. As for beliefs, they must remain private to each individual. I wont tell anyone what to believe, and neither should anyone else be permitted to do so."

"So what do we do next?"

"If it were just up to me, I would plan not only the infrastructure, but the population as well, their material, and spiritual needs. For example, how many schools, and public libraries will be required. There are all sorts of factors to consider. Find some specialists in this sort of thing, and put them to work. If you hurry them, they'll be ready by the time that the infrastructure is ready."

"Yes, but how will we find such people?"

"Look for volunteers. Worldwide, if you have to. Why not organize them into their own college department, somewhere? After all, colonizing a planet is a brand new type of human endeavor. Ask Kerl how it's done. I would."

"Thank you, Admiral. You have given me some ideas to mull on. Now for some more mundane matters. Have you got a report for me?"

"No. There just hasn't been time to prepare one. In addition, I'm not sure how much of my recent activities, I should include."

"I would suggest that you leave out the reasons for going to Filutia. Just let it seem like a courtesy visit to see how the other half lives."

"Right. we'll be heading back to Holloman, then."

With that, we left the good Doctor, and the White House. My shuttle craft was sitting on the East lawn surrounded by a temporary fence to keep the sightseers from pawing the hull. Ten minutes later, I was contacting the Space Port tower at Holloman for permission to land. I thought as I landed that we were going to have to tighten up on our protocols. It wouldn't be far into the future before there would be a tremendous increase in traffic. Thinking about lunch, Chris, and I, went to the Mess, only to find that they were still serving breakfast! These sudden jumps in time zones can be a little weird.

After our second breakfast of the day, Chris, and I adjourned to my office. As we seated ourselves, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in, Kate. What is it?"

"There are two Larsians waiting to see you, Admiral."

"Then you had better show them in, Kate."

Kate left my office momentarily, quickly returning with the two Larsians in tow. The first I recognized. It was Roas, the space port controller from Rannoc. He was with a gorgeous creature with a slim yet voluptuous figure, and a pixieish face, reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn. She seemed vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite place her.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close