Last Night at the Last Chance Diner - Cover

Last Night at the Last Chance Diner

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

Chapter 24

A Dog Story

Brian was quietly minding his own business when it began. The diner pulsed with activity just before ... it happened. Then everything changed and the pulse, if that's what you would call it, came from across the street.

That old man who stood on the wooden box seemed to shake himself, like you would if you stood too still, for too long. He lifted his old raggedy arm and seemed to point to the sky for just a split second. Then everything happened at once.

Almost before it started, it was over.

Brian thought he must have been knocked out because when he came to, he was in a meadow near a stream.

None of it made sense, since he was outside and it was a nice day. In fact, it was a gorgeous day. One like he'd never seen before.

Nothing was like he had ever seen.

Then he heard a rustle in the bushes nearby. For some reason that made his whole body tense up like something wonderful was about to happen.

The meadow was quite large. At the far edge, the woods curved around out of sight. It was over there that he heard the rustling.

Suspicious and anxious, he started that way tentatively, still not sure if any of it was real, but enjoying the whole event, anyway.

Was that a bark?

Now that was interesting.

Yes, there was another bark. He thought he'd heard that particular bark before.

That got him moving. He ran towards the woods, feet barely touching the soft grass. He heard the sound a third time and joy burst inside him. It was Benjamin's bark! He knew it! He did!

"Come here, Boy! Come on. Benjamin, I'm right here, boy! Come on!" he shouted, he laughed, he started to cry, all at the same time. "Benjamin! Here boy! Come on! Benjamin.

Come here, Ben-jer-buddy! Come on fella!"

The sound of the bark was joined by that of running feet as they closed the distance between them. Brian could see his dear friend then. Benjamin was alive.

Benjamin was here, and Brian nearly flew as he ran fast to his dear friend. He ran and couldn't stop calling out ... shouting for his buddy.

And then he was there.

Right in front of him.

Perfect and perfectly healthy.

They raced toward one another joyously. Angels wept, watching this incredible reunion.

If Brian had been shedding tears, you couldn't have proved it, because Benjamin licked his master's face too fast for anything to remain.

They stayed in that magnificent embrace for hours. Neither even considered breaking the moment.

"I love you Ben. I love you and I've missed you so much.

I can't believe you're here! I can't believe I'm here! I can't tell you where here is, but we're together again and that makes this the best place on earth!

I have missed you, so much, and you look so good! Ohhhh. Oh, Benjamin. Oh, my buddy.

The dog and his master were so caught up in each other, they never noticed the angels keeping vigil, nor did they notice when they slipped away.

There were always other tasks, other people and other lives...

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close