The Demons Within - Cover

The Demons Within

Copyright© 2017 by Vincent Berg

08: Testimonials

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;

courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Winston Churchill

Phil tipped his hat as he entered the office. “I was pleased you could fit me in on such short notice. Your receptionist seemed quite eager to get me in as soon as possible.”

Melissa Taylor smiled, a far different reaction than the last time he saw her. “It was easy to arrange. The clinic is technically closed and everyone is straightening up for the evening. I told them to fit you in any day you called. Your little performance caused quite a stir. Even the other psychiatrists I didn’t consult approached me afterwards, asking what happened. Between the patients and staff, the whole practice was atwitter with your dance.”

“And what, pray tell, were the results? I notice you don’t have any cops standing by.”

Melissa chuckled. “No, I didn’t need to. Once you left, I realized no one was harmed. I asked whether anyone wanted to file charges—strictly for liability reasons, you understand—but they all refused. It wasn’t until I saw my next couple patients I understood the full effect of your ... treatment. The other providers commented about their patients as well. I can’t categorically claim a twenty percent improvement, but there was a marked difference in everyone here.

“One of the staff had the foresight to hand out a clinic survey. We achieved our highest satisfaction results to date. In fact, several patients asked if they could schedule their next appointment for whenever you plan to return.”

“So I take it you’re convinced?”

“I wouldn’t say convinced as much as intrigued. I have no clue what you did, but I doubt it had anything to do with your clumsy dance steps.”

Phil smiled, tapping the end of his cane on the edge of her desk. “Remember, client confidentiality precludes your releasing that information to anyone.”

“So what exactly did you do? We’ve been wracking our brains trying to figure it out, but we’re drawing a blank. Even assuming a placebo effect, as you intimated, that affects pockets of study populations. Yet your results were consistent across the board. We’re especially interested because our medicines are always a mixed bag. Due to the unfortunate side effects, patients routinely don’t take them as prescribed, producing unanticipated results. What did you tap into which the rest of the medical establishment missed?”

“I simply redirected some negative energy by making a few people feel better,” he replied. “The reason the videos are so misleading is I got caught in a virulent energy-feedback. That’s why I was left so bloodied and confused afterwards. It was hardly my finest hour, though it reveals how complicated my approach is. It’s not patentable, so no one can make any money off it. I can’t admit it, since I can’t document it, and there are definite dangers to the practitioner, if not the patients. As such, there’s no way I can either train others or offer services for it.”

Melissa’s eyes squinted as she leaned forward, a grin curling the corner of her lip. “The hell with doing things by the book. If you can achieve the same success, we’ll pay you merely to ‘entertain’ our patients while they’re awaiting treatment. We aren’t paid by the pill. If we reduce the number our clients pop, their side effects will lesson, increasing their satisfaction. What’s more, their more consistent drug usage will improve any studies we conduct. Every way, everyone wins.”

“Until someone gets nervous, and then you’ll slam the door in my face. However, the twenty percent was only for demonstration purposes. If I did more for that many people, I’d suffer the same kind of feedback—which wouldn’t help my case. In dealing with patients one-on-one, I can affect a full recovery. What’s more, working with groups like that, I should be able to decrease their symptoms by the same amount. Those are absolute amounts. Each time, I can eliminate the same portion of their original mental disorder until it’s gone.”

“Those are some claims. While you’ll need evidence of your success, I wouldn’t object to your making a couple repeat demonstrations. That way, you’ll have the numbers when you’re ready to proceed.”

“I wasn’t applying for a job. I was proving a point. What you see as signs of mental illness are the effects of things I can’t discuss, mainly because no one would believe me.”

“You’ve convinced me. Whatever magic cure you’ve discovered, I’m willing to listen.”

He chuckled, but shook his head. “I’m sorry, but it doesn’t work like that. There’s no way I can explain it in a way you can accept. There’s no rational explanation. Instead, there are only individual results, and no medical practice can stand on a few isolated cases. It runs counter to the entire scientific approach, as well as established medical ethics.”

“All right, how’s this for a compromise. I’ll schedule you for a free consultation one day a week. You show up and do whatever you want while you’re waiting to see me. We’ll talk for a few minutes, again about anything you want, and then you can go your merry way. If, at some point in the future, you find yourself in difficult financial situations, I may make a personal gift to help you out. I’m sure the other psychiatrists in our practice would too.”

“Please, I don’t need any kickbacks. While my business is suffering and I’m paying exorbitant rates for a premiere hotel, I’m a prudent investor. I can withstand several off months.”

“All the more reason to talk, purely on a casual basis. The last time we met you were clearly stressed, which I’m sure impacts your negative feedback loops. From where I stand, you can’t afford to allow your conflicts to cloud your reactions. Talking things out will benefit you as much as your diversions will help our patients.”

“I’ll tell you what, I’ll agree with your one-day-a-week idea, at least for a short period. I’m feeling a lot of heat, so it might be better to relocate somewhere no one recognizes me so readily. My wife would certainly appreciate that. At this point, I can’t promise an extended commitment. At the moment, I’m taking this a day at a time. If the pressure intensifies, all bets are off.”

“I can’t afford to argue over particulars,” she said, pulling out an appointment card. “I’m scheduling you for our busiest time, ten in the morning, each Monday morning. Mondays are typically when we see our most severe cases. The entire staff will delay seeing anyone during that time, so the waiting room will be full.”

“Don’t get carried away. As the videos demonstrated, if you throw too many people at me, things can get ugly quickly. If they do, I may be forced to beat a hasty retreat for my personal safety, rather than anyone’s negative reactions. Beyond that, you’ve got a deal. If nothing else, this provides me with a bigger reference into the types of problems I’m facing. I need to gain as much experience with these techniques as I can.”

She chuckled. “Believe me, exposure to mental illnesses is one thing we can provide.”


“Phil Walker here.”

“Phil, this is Emma. Have you seen today’s Philadelphia Inquirer?”

He sat up, instantly on guard. “No, what happened? Did our little demonstration in the cemetery blow up in my face?”

“I suggest you read it, but so you don’t stress out about it, I’ll summarize. Peter Woodward wrote a short letter to the editor, which triggered a major article in the op-ed section.”

“Who the hell is he?”

“Don’t worry about the name, but your story has started to percolate onto the national news sites. He saw what they were saying about you. Apparently you met at the Woodland Community Gardens and—”

“Ah, now I know which Peter you’re referring to.”

“Anyway, he wrote the Inquirer to object to its reporting about you. He claims, and I’m reading this verbatim:

My name is Peter Woodward. I lived for years in Philadelphia’s parks, homeless shelters and streets, suffering since my teenage years from schizophrenia. I’m also the man you’ve repeatedly accused Phil Walker of assaulting. Nothing could be further from the truth. Rather than fearing for my life, Mr. Walker saved my life. After our short meeting, my delusions, paranoia and clouded thinking cleared up. Recognizing it for the opportunity it was, I called my family back east. They welcomed me home—conditional on my consulting a new psychiatrist about my care. Despite my extensive history, he saw little evidence of my schizophrenia and suggested I may have originally been misdiagnosed.

If it wasn’t for Phil Walker, I’d still be living on the street, scrounging for survival. Now, I’m enrolling in my local community college to complete my degree. I’m working at my father’s business to relearn my forgotten job skills, and slowly rebuilding my life.

Phil never threatened me. Instead he returned my sanity, reunited me with my family and allowed me to become a fully-functioning person again.

“Wow! I wondered what happened to him. He just disappeared without a trace.”

“You’re missing the point. He’s admitted you cured him.”

“You’re correct, but what he said was true. What’s more, it’s his right to say whatever he wants.”

“Again, you’ve missed the point. I’m not trying to panic you, but this one admission introduces your mission to the public. With only one opinion, no one will give it much attention, but they’ll keep it in the back of their heads. As more people begin to heal, and echo the same sentiment, people will remember the earlier comments. When and if you reveal what you’re doing, it lends credence to your claims. In short, his saying this saves you from having to admit it, while allowing you to remain silent. I wouldn’t deny it. That could bite you in the ass later. Yet if you diminish or dismiss the claim, it’ll stay in people’s minds without your making an issue of it.”

“That makes sense. Plausible deniability, if you will. Keeping it in political terms, it’s like floating a trial balloon to determine how people respond to my providing a medical service without committing myself.”

“What’s more, by continuing to appear in public, performing your act, you’ll encourage people to guess about whether it’s accomplishing something more significant, or not. Because you’re not claiming anything, the pressure is off you. There’s an explanation already floated, with substantial evidence it’s true, but it’s not a claim you’re making. Either way, people will be curious, meaning they’ll come to watch, but won’t assume malicious intent.”

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close