If I Were the Last Man Alive - Cover

If I Were the Last Man Alive

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

Chapter 33: Lori

I saw Jamie standing beside the longest, blackest, limousine I had ever seen — at least forty feet long. He stood beside the back door just like a chauffeur.

His tux was stunning. He was stunning. I went weak in the knees and hung on to the kitchen counter for a moment.

Jamie had the most beautiful smile on his face. I'm sure it mirrored the one on mine. We seemed to have a gift for making each other smile. I felt that smile all the way down in my tum-my, where a thousand butterflies seemed to flutter. Whatever I'd gotten myself into this time was the most wonderful thing I could ever imagine.

Jamie. I'm going to love you for the rest of my life. I hope you can love me for at least as long.

My man was waiting at the car. I was so excited I could hardly keep my balance as I walked down the RV steps, holding my dress off the concrete to keep it clean. Jamie smiled even brighter as I bowed slightly and ducked into the back seat.

Anybody can get married. It takes focus, hard work and determination to have a good marriage. My parents and grandparents were a wonderful example for me and I wanted to live up to those examples. Hopefully I wouldn't fail Jamie. I wanted to be a good partner and friend. Everything else we could figure out as we went along.


In a matter of a few minutes, we arrived at the church.

Jamie looked like a dream come true in his tux. He offered me his hand and I swept out of the limo like a princess. I felt like a fairy tale princess. This was our day and it was magnificent.

The sun was still high in the sky. I guessed it was around 3:00. There were clouds in every direction and the breeze cut down on the stifling heat. The weather was perfect for our wed-ding day.

Just before we started up the church steps, I paused and turned to Jamie. "I am so proud to be your wife. I wish Daddy and Mother were here to be with me."

I cried and Jamie wiped his eyes, also. It wasn't a time for tears and I wasn't about to let anything ruin my wedding day. God had made this world just for us and we were beginning our journey in His hands. That and my gorgeous Jamie were what I needed to be thinking about.

THE WEDDING

We were married in front of the altar at First Community Church in Winter Haven, Florida, on a sunny Wednesday after-noon. My husband brought our rings without telling me. I figured we had forgotten to go get them in all the rush, but that wonderful man took them out of his pocket at just the right time and slipped mine on my finger, then handed me his. I firmly pushed his ring on his finger and we repeated the famous promise to God, "With this ring I thee wed..."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close