If I Were the Last Man Alive
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2014 by Number 7

I heard waves breaking below. For a little while I lay and listened, thinking of the power of the oceans and how they work together to make so many other things work.

I was going to have to force myself through this day. I had little get-up-and-go left in me. Hopefully I would gather some energy and finish the propane tasks.

I thought I had enough propane for about 16 - 17 years, with a comfortable margin for mathematical error. If I could do as well at the other three places and find more in the Orlando area, I could store enough to last 40 – 50 years without traveling far to find more.

Breakfast was courtesy of a health food place along the road. There were lots of packaged thing, and I stocked up on the ones that tasted good. At each stop, I restocked bottled water, gasoline in the truck and whatever caught my eye.

My goal was to be fully stocked in vital supplies. As long as I stayed true to that, I could handle sickness, minor injuries, and anything that might put me out of commission for days or weeks.

I spent the next few days moving trucks of propane into place and creating an inventory and a formula to figure out how long the supply would last. When I was finished, I thought I had enough for fifty years or so.

The lot where I parked the propane trucks looked like the marshalling yard for a huge convention. I spaced everything for safety; they took up the front and both sides, with empty trucks parked in the rear ready to go when needed.

The plaza had been under construction with only a grocery store and hair salon open when everyone disappeared. The rest of the spaces were empty. I forced entry into every store. At the least, I could stock boxes of canned goods and other supplies in the units.

During those four days of driving back and forth with gas tanks, I looked for others survivors. Others must have been in similar places to a bank vault at the time of the disaster. Finding them was my challenge.

Without electricity I couldn't use the Internet, television or radio broadcasting centers. The phones were all dead and with no one maintaining the cell phone systems, they had all died, I figured.

I chose strategic locations to look for survivors. It would be a lot like looking for needles in a haystack, but at least it was something. I couldn't live alone for the next fifty years, thinking others were out there somewhere.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close