Leaving Babylon - Cover

Leaving Babylon

Copyright© 2014 by D. Cristwell

Chapter 13: Arch Enemy

Laney thanked them for the new clothes. She and Aaron took the last bedroom and went to catch up on their sleep. Lena told Allen they had been on the run for three days. On the home computer system, Lena found them a house like theirs at 9 West Road. Since the last two groups arrived, there was a waiting list for the Dilithium powered vehicles that Prescott compared to the Volkswagen.

Allen's printer suddenly spit out a message, "Bus at AM." AM was the abbreviation for arrival meadow. He did not recall anyone ordering a bus, but with more people, the town had a need. While he pondered what to do, he heard footsteps outside the front door, and then three knocks.

"Hello," he greeted the stranger with the two girls and a boy. "Come on in."

"This is where Aaron and Laney are, right?" he asked. "I'm Ben Green."

"Yes it is, but they're sleeping," he replied. "I'm Allen Cade, nice to meet you."

"The future president of New Eden from what I heard," mused Ben, shaking his hand. "Juan told me all about this shyster that came here and had a sham vote to hold an election."

"Well, Yeshua is my Lord, and when He gets back here, I'll turn it over to Him. The only reason I agreed to this farce is to forestall his taking us over by a coup. I'm happy being the news reporter, and no, I have no agenda."

"We had a boss come to Hillside too," said Ben. "He sweet talked the people into electing him. The next thing you know he had a police force that arrested you for anything that struck his fancy, executive order, he called it."

"So, how long have you been in this reality?"

"Maybe a couple of weeks," answered Ben. "There were 33 in our group. I was driving our church bus, that's what I do, and headed up to our camp near Tiptonville near Reelfoot Lake. All of a sudden the whole world started moving, and next thing you know we're somewhere else, and this dude is checking us in."

"Was it an angel?" asked Allen.

"A fallen one, maybe," Ben answered, "but nothing from God's side of heaven. The funny thing is, the bus was flying through some sort of portal, and then we went sideways."

"Like something interfered with your intended destination," presumed Allen. "I'll bet you were supposed to come here. You're a bus driver by trade?"

"After I got out of the Corps, that's about all I could find. Not much need for recon in the real world," opined Ben. "They wanted Aaron and me to join Homeland, but those fools are power crazy. Like I'm going to go kick some law-abiding citizen's door down and take his guns? That isn't the America I put my life on the line for."

"No it's not anymore, and it started way before 9-11."

"I know that now," said Ben. "One day I woke up, and asked my buddy, 'Why are we at war with the Arabs?' We were sold the 'Remember 9-11' line, but that smells when you look at why Building 7 fell."

"I used to be, 'My country, right or wrong, ' until I came to The LORD. He opened my eyes, and I saw corruption back to Nixon, but he had the speck of decency to resign."

"How old are you?"

"I was 61 when I recycled. Nobody has done that since the second group to arrive, and that was when Yeshua, Michael, and Jophiel took leave to deal with Earth."

"You sound older; I was afraid we'd ended up in hell," reasoned Ben. "Something sure smells good."

"I made vegetable stew earlier," said Lena. "We have plenty if you're hungry?"

"Jennifer made empanadas," replied Ben. "Whatever they were, they were good. Now Allen here sounds like he's from Texas, but you have an accent."

"Sorry, I am from Chile," explained Lena. "Jennifer is from Oklahoma, but I told her how to make them for Juan. He too is from Chile."

The little boy tugged at Ben's arm. "Yes, Isaac?"

"I'm still hungry," the boy admitted.

"Well, come on in and eat," invited Lena; "you too, Señor Green."

"Don't mind if I join you after I clean up," said Allen. "Let's give thanks, and y'all can go ahead and start. Ben, you and I have a lot to talk about after you catch up on your sleep."

Shortly, Allen joined them, and they ate their fill. He scooted back to clear the table, and the older girl, about 15 offered to help, and do the dishes. Ben nodded his approval, and showed that he taught his children manners. There was another knock at the door.

Allen opened the door to see Gabriel standing there with the 28-passenger bus. "Gabriel, come in, please. I forgot about that with our guests. This is..."

"Benjamin Franklin Green," said Gabriel, "and Merriam, Isaac, and Salome. I cannot stay long Allen, but I shall be back. Yahweh sent me to help with your situation, and I filed a slander suit against George Prescott for his falsehoods. You see, not only do I handle land matters, but also the legal matters for Adonai Missions."

"What court?" Allen asked. "Wait a minute, did you say, Yahweh, as in God?"

"Yes I did," clarified Gabriel. "Trust me, your nemesis knows what court, and he will appear. Come and see the bus. I believe you will like it, and Benjamin's home is ready when he is."

Allen, Lena, and Ben stepped out front to see the new bus. It was celestial blue with a scrolling marquee that had Allen's photo with Lena and the girls, and the message, "The Lord's Choice – Allen Cade" and "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

"All we need is to drive it around so people can see it," reasoned Ben. "You have my vote, Allen."

Allen grabbed his head, and said, "Thanks, but Yeshua is King of this world."

Ben slapped him on the shoulder, and said, "That's why I'll vote for you; you don't trust politicians any more than I do. I detest dirty campaigns, besides."

"Hey!" called someone from the side door of the bus. "Are you going to stand there and gawk, or are you going to go see our new home with me?"

"Trudy, should you be out of bed?" asked Ben, recognizing her in the long, off-white dress. "Yeah, I'm coming."

"That is the other reason I came," admitted Gabriel. "Fetch Aaron and his family and we will take them home too. Allen, I will be back in two days to represent you in the trial of Yeshua and Allen Cade versus George Prescott. Jophiel will also be here to help sort out the last groups that arrived, and the matters of Kenneth v. Juanita, and Mark v. Melissa."

"Thank you, Lord," offered Allen. "Ben, Aaron, we'll visit tomorrow, and maybe do some fishing."

"The man speaks our language, Ben," replied Aaron as he herded his family aboard the bus. "We'll see you tomorrow my brother from a different mother."

"But the same Heavenly Father," replied Allen.

Lena and the girls waved, and she asked, "What is the corps he spoke of and a recon?"

"Apparently, Ben and Aaron were US Marines. Recon is short for reconnaissance, which is like an elite scout unit, kind of like Special Forces. I was never in the military, so I'm not sure exactly what they do."

"They will be valuable in the militia then," reasoned Lena. "I am so glad Gabriel came back. I have prayed so much the last two days. I dreamed that George Prescott was the devil in disguise."

"I always heard that when the devil reminds you of your past, you remind him of his future."

"That is wise," Lena noted. "So, Melissa has left Mark for Prescott, but what of Juanita? I must go and see mi amiga."

"Here I am, Lena," Juanita called from the Taylor's front porch. "I knew you had guests, and no more room, so I came here."

"I have room now, and you are welcome if it is okey with Allen."

"I will come over mañana, but we can visit tonight," replied Juanita. "At least something good came of it, I can cut hair now, but I would rather not."

Allen felt relieved with the archangel's reassuring visit. Faith had prevailed once again. He set up the TV to play a Bible Story about young King David, and there was another knock at the door. He muttered about hanging a Do Not Disturb sign on the outside, but found Mark on his doorstep.

"Hi again," said Mark. "I've been served, by Prescott's aide no less. She said there were irreconcilable differences, and Prescott is representing her. If that guy is demonic, I'm toast."

"You of little faith," replied Allen. "Prescott has his own problems, and Gabriel the archangel represents us. Ken and Juanita are splitting up, too. I would imagine that the day after tomorrow, most of our problems will go away."

"No election?" wondered Mark.

"Oh, I hope not. I don't wish to become what I despise, a politician."

"I saw that bus on the way in. Steve gave me a ride because Melissa has the truck. They made a six-foot tall campaign sign to sit in the bed, but the bus has more class."

"Why didn't you ride the horse?"

"Melissa claimed it as her property, along with the truck; I'll get the house, and land."

"And rid of her," added Allen. "Gabriel said that Jophiel will come back also, and sort out the newcomers. Most of them don't belong here, and I feel like a failure as a gatekeeper."

"Hey, you stayed strong in your faith, and kept me from doing something that would've made it worse for everyone." Mark then asked, "So, what are the people like that we rescued?"

"They're like us, Mark, just darker pigmented. They like to fish too."

"Bruno said they're believers."

"They're also former Marines; recon, I think."

"I'm glad we did that already. You know Allen; I think I'm going to be okay, now. God is good."

"All the time, Mark, all the time, He is indeed."

The next morning dawned with Ken, Melissa, Bill Fowler, George Prescott, and most of his followers boarding the bus to the meadow. Prescott's aide delivered an apology to Allen and Steve for the newspaper. Jophiel stood as the bus monitor and made sure all 66 malcontents left the new world. Prescott promised them their own utopian society where everyone would become obscenely wealthy.

The 180 became 114, plus the Jefferson and Green families. Beyond the meadow, Allen and Mark drove to check the progress of the New Eden Airport. The taxiways and ramp were finished, and the 120 by 60 foot hangar was ready for the doors. Gabriel met them at the new hangar, and showed the R-3 and RI-5 UAVs parked across from the Mark 7.

Except for the control tower, and a device that acted as a protective shield around the whole valley, the airport was ready to use. "Once we activate the Crystal Dome nothing will penetrate a 35-mile radius with hostile intent, and survive," said Gabriel. "It will repel dragons, giants, Nephilim, and demons. You will only have to deal with human men, but without weapons that can defeat yours, or machines."

"What about the portal at the meadow?" Allen asked. "They breached it twice while the guardian angels were gone."

"There will always be a guardian at the gate to New Eden from this day forward."

"If the dome is active, how do we leave, or why would we need the airport?" wondered Mark. "What about any hostiles it traps inside?"

"You will hunt and exterminate all manner of dragons within the dome. When this is finished, you will go on a conquest to eliminate the giants and slavers outside of the Crystal Dome." Gabriel then gave Mark his release from Melissa, and said, "Choose a woman of God."

With the expulsion of the 66, Allen personally removed them from the census records, and filed them in another folder named 66 for future reference. It saddened him to know that so many could fall away from God. Yet, he gave thanks that the election and trial never happened.


(A planet in a distant galaxy)

The 66 arrived on their new world, and found themselves in awe of the palace in the distance. It shone a dazzling gold like the very sun. The road leading to it consisted of golden bricks. The fields on either side bristled with beautiful but thorny flowers. The biggest shock for Ken and Melissa was that they both occupied their original older bodies.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close