Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story - Cover

Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 17: Traveling Adventures

Traveling to the dedication, turned into more of a production than anyone had imagined it would be. Seth and Martha thought the trip should be more than a quick drive to Longview, Washington and back. The dedication itself would be a somber affair. The trip to and from Longview should offset that sobriety. They selected a route that would go to Los Angeles, and then north through California and Oregon. The trip back would be a different route but they all agreed they could pick that just before they left Longview.

Everyone wanted to go to the dedication, too. Fortunately, or unfortunately, other obligations prevented many from leaving. Pete, Susan and Ben had to work. The ranch needed caring for so Pappy and BB needed to stay to keep the ranch functioning.

There was a long conversation between Seth, Martha, Ben, Liz, Udit and the Wizards, to determine who would go and who would stay. Sean, Megan and Udit had to go, as guests of honor. Seth felt that he should go, as the head of the Flynn family. Cory and Lian would go because of Sean and Megan. Laoshin wanted to stay with Pappy but Brennan wanted to go with Cory. Sheila elected to stay with BB and Ava decided to stay with her.

Martha felt that she needed to stay at the ranch. Someone needing to cook for the people staying behind was the excuse that she gave. She didn't enjoy long drives like they were contemplating, either. Another excuse. Seth planned three or four days going to Longview and up to five days returning. The real reason though, was that Martha was the honorary grandmother that took care of AJ and Bellona, or Bell as Sean and Megan called the baby girl. Martha took care of Bell on most days that Pete and Susan both worked. Any time Bell was there, AJ was too. Since the arrival of John and Nancy, Martha's babysitting duties included Lily and Scott. Martha was in heaven and it would take more than a school dedication in Washington State to tear her away for a week or more.

Paul and Abigail had returned to Texas. They were, in their words, 'living in sin' down in Port Arthur, Texas, and loved it.

Pete had talked to his dad about their living arrangements. "Dad, you said you loved her. Why don't the two of you get married?"

Paul shrugged and, with a rueful look said, "I asked her if she wanted to get married. She said we're too old for that silliness. She also said that if I get tired of being around an old woman like her then I wouldn't be tied down by a piece of paper."

Paul shook his head and sighed as he said, "Son, you know I'm not fickle like that. Besides, she's younger than me. Maybe she's just covering her bets in case she gets tired of having an old man like me around."

"So, what are you going to do about it?" Pete asked.

Paul shrugged again and grinned when he said, "Nothing ... about the marriage. If she's not worried about it, then I'm not going to worry, either. That may change, in time, too. For the rest, well, I'm going to keep her so busy and involved in what we're doing that she doesn't have time to get bored with me."

Pete could only grin back and shake his head at his father.

Pete was becoming better acquainted with his dad than he ever believed he would. Most people go through life viewing their parents as tall, authority figures. Pete was learning that his dad was an interesting person that could also be a good friend.

John wanted to go to see his family. Nancy elected to stay in Arizona so Lily wouldn't miss any school. It was Lily's first year of school and she was enjoying it.

"Kindergarten is school?" John asked in disbelief.

"Yes, it is," Nancy confirmed with a laugh. "Besides, do you realize how hard it is to travel with children that age? Cooped up in car all day. No chance to get out and run to work off some of the energy that kids build up. Everyone would be miserable."

"Okay, honey," John conceded giving her a hug. "Are you sure that you'll be okay staying here?"

Nancy gave a snort of derision and said, "You've got to be kidding me. Martha mothers all of us, especially the kids. BB and Pappy are constantly on the lookout for any threat to the family or the ranch. We'll be fine, baby," she concluded.

The only real point of contention was Lightning. Sean wanted him to go. Seth thought that taking a dog on a road trip didn't make a lot of sense.

"Poppa," Sean said in frustration. "I agree that taking a normal dog would be difficult. Lightning isn't normal and he needs to come with us."

"Why does he need to come with us?" Seth asked, equally as frustrated. He didn't even try to argue the fact about Lightning not being normal. He had seen the dog do to many things out of the ordinary to discount him.

"He protects us," Sean explained with the tone and feigned patience that children had used with their dumb parents since the first man walked out of his cave. "He can't protect us if he's here and we're a thousand miles away."

Lightning was included in the passenger list, along with Seth, Sean, Megan, Liz, Lian, Cory, Brennan, Udit, and John. Seth ended up renting a twelve passenger van and a covered trailer to carry their luggage. He was grumbling about traveling with a damn circus when he signed the rental agreement.

Driving to Longview, Washington was an eye opening experience for Sean and Megan. Sean was nearly a month shy of his fifth birthday. Megan was almost a month shy of her fourth. Their lives had been lived in the desert around Phoenix, and the harsh lands of the Bradshaw Mountains. Brief trips higher in the Bradshaw's and to the White Mountain Apache Reservation had exposed them to pine forests. At least they thought they knew what pine forests looked like. Those introductions to forests of pine trees hadn't prepared them for the lush growth on the coasts of California, Oregon, and Washington.

Southern California seemed to be an explosion of growth to Sean and Megan. Every piece of ground that wasn't covered by a manmade object seemed to contain something growing.

A stop at the beach allowed them to play in the ocean surf for a time, and they loved it. Playing tag with the waves was enhanced by the sea gulls flocking around Sean and Megan. It seemed like the birds enjoyed playing in the surf as much as the kids did.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close