Megan Enraged - Book 2 of Wizard - a Love Story
Chapter 9: Delegation Goals

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

The week passed quickly, despite the awkward homecoming. Seth had called ahead so that Martha knew that two additional guests were returning with them. He didn't tell her about everything that had happened in Phoenix. Martha had relayed the information about the impending arrival of Lian and Laoshin to the rest of the 'family' that was in residence.

Sheila and BB shrugged it off. "If they're on our side, then it doesn't matter," Sheila said.

Susan and Pete's were more skeptical. "Once the camel gets his nose into the tent, it's hard to get him out," Pete warned.

"Laoshin was pretty helpful at the last meeting," Megan pointed out. "Maybe her boss isn't so bad either. I think it'll be fun having a grown up Wizard around. Especially a Sorceress Wizard."

Ben and Liz tended to agree with their daughter most of the time. In this case, they were a little more skeptical. They both knew how intelligent Megan was. Their daughter was a constant source of amazement, and each day they found new reasons to love her more. But, intelligence didn't equate to understanding human nature. Ben and Liz's years in the medical profession had exposed them to the dark results of man's inhumanity to man. Their faith in mankind was well salted with cautious cynicism.

"I'm not sure Sorceress Wizard is a correct term, Megan," Udit said drily.

The little girl was still learning words and how they combined into sentences. She wasn't always as successful as she thought she was.

"I've only dealt with the American Council, and they have consistently been disappointing," Udit continued soberly. "I don't expect any difference from someone belonging to the Asian Council. We need to be on guard. There is a reason that Magi are our leaders, despite their shortfalls," he reminded them. "They are able to plan out strategies that are far more intricate and devious than most men are capable of. This could simply be a ploy by the Delegation and we still don't know what they want."

Udit's warning sobered everyone. The ramifications of his words continued to percolate in their minds as they waited for their loved ones to return. It was a grim faced party that greeted the Bronco when it stopped at the porch of the ranch house.

Martha greeted Seth with a hug and a kiss. "I missed you," she said softly.

"I missed you, too," Seth murmured in Martha's ear as he hugged her. "Especially your cooking," he said grinning as he pulled away from her.

Martha slapped his arm while grinning back.

"Lucky for you that we held supper," she said.

"Thanks for saving supper, Momma," Sean said as he climbed from the back seat. "Pappy knows some good places to eat but he sure doesn't know how to cook."

"Next time I'll let you cook your own meals, boy," Pappy groused as he got out of the Bronco. "Kids now days don't have any respect for their elders."

Laoshin was looking at Pappy with big eyes when she disembarked. In her experience, you just didn't speak to a Mage like that.

Lightning walked up to Sean and licked his face. Lightning's head was just a little higher than Sean's so Sean had to stand on his toes when he hugged the big dog.

Lian followed Laoshin and everyone stared at her in shock. The last time they had seen her, the Asian Sorceress had long, flowing, silken black hair. Now she was bald as an egg. Many eyes flickered to what Sean had looped around his neck before going back to Lian. Conversation had stopped.

Seth cleared his throat and said, "We had a little run in with another Brujo down in Phoenix. Lian lost her hair. The Brujo lost his life."

Udit nodded slowly while staring intently at Lian's inscrutable features. "A high cost, but still better than the reverse."

Lian nodded and her lips quirked in a smile. "Well said, Shaman."

The exchange seemed to open a dam, and everyone started firing questions and checking for additional damage.

Seth held up his hand and said, "Lian's hair was the only casualty. We'll tell you what happened and answer questions after we eat. I'm hungry."

Megan's experiences at school were shared during the meal. Everyone laughed at the story of the hunters.

"Young one, that was exceptionally clever," Lian said as she bowed her head to Megan in respect. "Often, very often, brute force is counterproductive to one's goals. Finesse in a surprise situation is seldom considered but often more productive."

Megan wrinkled her face as she considered Lian's words before asking, "Is that the same thing as being sneaky? Udit said being sneaky is better most of the time because we can hide better."

"Um, that's not exactly what I said, or meant, but, it'll do" Udit said shaking his head and smiling at the young girl.

"Udit is wise," Lian said with a very stoic expression. Her twinkling eyes were the only clue to what she was feeling. "That's very unusual for a man," she concluded.

"Hey," Ben and Seth said in unison as they protested.

Pappy just shook his head and murmured something about women. It sounded like, "Can't live with them and can't shoot 'em."

"Well, it's true," Martha said smiling at her husband.

"That's why we're here," Liz said brightly as she hugged Ben's arm. "Someone needs to look after the men."

It was a pleasant meal for everyone and everyone was more at ease with the presence of Lian and Laoshin by the time desert was served. Peach cobbler was a favorite of Seth and Sean, which was why Martha had prepared it. Relating the story of the Biltmore attack, after the meal, sobered everyone.

"You really couldn't cut his flows of air?" Megan asked doubtfully.

"No," Sean answered thoughtfully. "But, in hindsight, I don't know if it was because he was so strong, or because he was doing something that I haven't figured out how to counteract, yet."

"So, how did you beat him?" Megan asked.

"Remember how I showed you to use water for energy?" Sean asked. At Megan's nod he said, "I converted all the water in his body to energy and let the energy go. It was kind of like, blowing up a balloon until it pops."

"That can be learned?" Lian blurted in astonishment. She had heard the explanation during the drive from Phoenix. She had assumed it was a skill specific to his set of talents.

"Well, I taught Megan how to do it," Sean said, wondering if he had said to much. He still wasn't sure how much he could reveal to the foreign Sorceress. "I'm not sure if everyone can do it. Um, Megan and I can, um, well, we communicate ideas to each other easier than other people do. I don't know if I can communicate it to others as easily."

"Don't you trust her?" Megan asked silently.

"Yes, sort of. I don't know how much yet," Sean replied, also silently.

Lian reined in her excitement as she recognized Sean's reservation in his tone and words. She bowed her head to the boy in respect and said, "If you deign to teach, I would be a willing pupil."

Sean nodded in return and mentally shelved the question of trust.

"I wonder what would have happened if the energy was taken instead of released," Megan wondered aloud as she let the possibilities roll around in her mind.

"I don't know," Sean said with a shrug. "I thought about that. I think it would leave a husk like a mummy. We needed to get rid of the body though. I was hoping it would splatter like that so we could get rid of it easier. There wasn't any blood because there wasn't any moisture left in his body. The birds did a good job of cleaning up what was left. The bones just crumbled."

"You considered all of that in the heat of battle?" Lian asked in astonishment as she sat back in her chair.

Sean shrugged again before nodding in embarrassment. "Poppa taught me to play chess. The first thing he taught after he showed me how the pieces moved was to think ahead as many moves as possible. It became kind of a habit in everything I do. It's almost subconscious. Megan's going to be better than I am though. I'm already having trouble beating her at chess."

Lian bowed lower to the boy. Her respect for Sean, and this family, continued to grow.

"Lian," Sean started hesitantly. He wasn't sure if his budding friendship with the Asian Sorceress was ready to be tested yet. But, he did need some answers. All of them did. "Can you tell me what the Delegation wants? I don't want you to break your word but I would like to know why they want to meet with us."

It didn't take long for Lian to consider her reply. It was about two heartbeats before she said, "I am pledged to support the goals of the Councils in our dealings with you, Megan, and your families."

"Okay," Sean said. "What are the goals of the Councils?"

"The Council's goals are to ensure your and Megan's survival. Also, to ensure satisfactory training for both of you," Lian replied. "The Delegation's solution to accomplish those goals were four fold. First, is acceptance of a Mage trainer for each of you. Second, is separating the two of you. The rationale behind that is providing less of a target for the enemy. Third, establish a viable training plan for both of you. And, fourth," Lian hesitated before continuing. She knew this would be the worst of the steps the Delegation had planned. She took a deep breath and steeled herself before continuing. "They want to separate you from your parents and raise you under the Council's supervision."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close