Per Ardua Ad Astra
Chapter 11: Construction at Holloman

Copyright© 2013 by normist

"Let me know when I can have a shuttle drive to try out," I said ignoring his crack about the rank of Commodore.

"You'll have to let me know where to ship it. I take it your Commodore-ship will be moving his base now that he commands a branch of the Eeyoonited States Services."

"Yes, James. They're building us a base in New Mexico, somewhere around the back of the Holloman Air Force Base. Want to join up? Of course, I could always arrange to have you conscripted."

"Never in a thousand years," he pleaded. "Have pity for a poor old man."

"Man? Perhaps! Old? That will come in time. Poor? I seriously doubt that. Even without a published patent, I'm sure the dollars will come rolling in."

On that jolly note, we parted.

The next morning, I went to our present base on North Vine Street to organize our departure for New Mexico. I found a holiday atmosphere when I arrived. They had already received offers of transfer to the Space Service. That these offers came with consequent promotions had engendered the holiday atmosphere. Our mechanics would be receiving commissions as Ensigns after a crash course at the Coast Guard Academy at New London, Connecticut.

Susan Chalmers and Corporal Benson had been offered instant commissions as Lieutenants, Junior Grade with further promotions promised when the new Space Craft was commissioned. They seemed to hold me personally responsible for their offers and showed me their gratitude. Corporal, now Lieutenant JG Benson nearly shook my hand off while Susan enveloped me in a passionate hug and kissing me on the cheek.

Susan and Charles Groves were coming with me to Holloman to get our ground base started while Benson was staying with James to fashion the message drones. The trip was about seven hundred and fifty miles so that two days driving would be an easy journey. We arranged to stop overnight at the America's Best Value Inn, on the Abilene bypass.

Arriving at Holloman, we turned into the Air force Base. The gate guard asked for our passes. but seemed dissatisfied with our drivers' licenses. He phoned for instructions and kept his rifle at the port. His attitude changed, however, when in response to a telephone call, a car drew up and a Colonel emerged. The Guard saluted the Colonel and goggled when the Colonel came up to my window and saluted me.

"Colonel Crisp, Sir. In command of Holloman Air Force Base. Welcome. We are putting you up for now in Bachelor Officers' Quarters, Commodore, Sir. If you would be kind enough to follow me."

He returned to his car and did a U-turn around the back of us. I followed him and in a few moments we pulled up outside a Quarters block. Once we were settled in, he escorted us to the Officer's Mess.

After dinner, an airman approached the Colonel and handed him a small parcel. He excused himself and opened it. Enclosed was a letter which afforded him some amusement.

At last, he said, "Commodore, I have been instructed to issue you and your colleagues with khaki fatigues. They have sent me the shoulder boards for you all and patches to indicate your Service. I'll arrange for the issue after breakfast if that suits you."

"Thank you. I'm still catching my breath. It was only three days ago that I was a civilian academic. You'll have to excuse me if I commit any breach of military etiquette."

"Of course, Commodore, I must say it hardly shows. There was one other thing in the letter. I was asked to supply you with an aircraft until you can get your own. We have a Citation Mustang available if you can give us a little notice."

"Thank you, although, at the moment, I have no idea where and when we might have to travel. And now, I think that as we have had a busy two days getting here, I should take an early night."

The next morning after breakfast, we were taken to the stores to be outfitted with our khaki uniforms. After the jackets had been selected they were taken away to be embellished with our tabs or Service Insignia. I had not seen our Service badges until they were sewn on. They displayed a wingless and tailless P180, the Enterprise.

From there I was taken to an office suite that had been assigned to us until our base was useable. In the outer office, a young female sergeant jumped to her feet.

"Commodore, I have been seconded to you while you are staying on our base. I'm Sergeant Murchison."

"And what do I call you, Sergeant?"

"I'm Kate to my friends, Commodore, Sir."

"I hope you'll be my friend, Kate. I'm Bill."

"Yes, Sir. Your mail is in your office and your emails are on your computer." Entering my office, I saw a wooden crate about one foot cubed, two large tubes of the type that is used for engineering drawings, two very thick envelopes and a host of smaller envelopes in assorted sizes.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close