Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story - Cover

Sean David Kilpatrick Flynn - Book 1 of Wizard - A Love Story

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 16: Encounter with a Brujo

Sheila called BB on the Sunday afternoon before Christmas to let him know that she had just finished her last shift at the hospital. The nurses were throwing a little going away party for her at the hospital and she wanted to tell him how much she loved him before she went.

"I think they are planning a combination going away party and bridal shower," Sheila told BB. "Maybe they'll bring in one of those male strippers," she giggled.

"No problem as long as I can be the stripper," BB said with a grin of his own.

"You just want to dance in front of all those women," Sheila accused good naturedly.

"You're the only one that I want to dance in front of," BB assured her. "Are you still coming up tomorrow?"

The whole clan planned on spending the day at the ranch to celebrate Sean's six month birthday. Of course, the men didn't understand at all and were educated on why babies got semiannual birthdays instead of just annual birthdays.

"Of course I'm coming up tomorrow," Sheila teased. "Why? Do you think I'll get drunk or something?"

"No! I didn't think anything like that," BB assured her.

"Well, there's nothing to worry about anyway. We can't have alcohol on hospital grounds," Sheila said.

"I was just thinking that, uh, maybe you had, uh, changed your mind or something," BB said hesitantly.

"Did you? You know, did you change your mind?" Sheila asked quietly.

"No! I wish we were already married," BB said earnestly. "I was ready to marry you the day we met."

BB heard a soft chuckle on the phone and Sheila said, "So was I but a girl can't say that. I love you Brandon Walking Wolf Begay."

"I love you to babe," BB murmured into the phone. "So, did you just call to tell me that you love me?" he asked softly.

Sheila's tinkling laugh was music to his ears. "It was the main reason I called but there are a couple of other things too."

"As long as it was the most important reason," BB said in a teasing voice. "What were the other things?"

"Well, I'm supposed to ask if General Flynn needs us to bring anything else tomorrow when we come up," Sheila said.

"General Flynn? Well, I'll need to go to the barn and see if Seth needs you to bring anything else," BB said as he contemplated the general title.

Sheila's laugh was a belly laugh this time. "Oh BB. If you really think Seth is in charge then I'm going to have a real job on my hands with you. I was talking about Martha. That woman could organize a thunder storm and have it striking lightning in cadence."

BB chuckled and said, "You're probably right and she could too. General made me think of military and I always associate anything military with Seth. You didn't know him when he first came back from Viet Nam. He was a very different person than what you see today. Sometime, when he thinks his family or home are threatened, I get the impression that what you see today is a very thin veneer."

"I understand but it's still fun to tease you," Sheila said. "You'll have to tell me about Seth sometime. We get Vets at the hospital that are dealing with what they saw and did in Viet Nam."

BB could hear the sadness in her voice.

"Could you ask Martha if there is anything else we need to bring?" Sheila asked.

"Sure honey," BB said. "I'll have to find her but I'll ask and call you right back."

"Wait BB," Sheila said anxiously. "There was something else. I know we planned on me coming back down to Phoenix with everyone else tomorrow night and then drive back up on Christmas. Do you think it would be okay to bring some of my stuff up tomorrow and stay?" It all came gushing out as if she were afraid that BB would say no before she had a chance to say it.

"Ah, well, that shouldn't be a problem honey. I know that I'd like it but let me make sure it's okay with Martha. I'll call you back in just a few minutes to let you know," BB reassured her. "Was there anything else?"

"No; just that I love you," Sheila said. "I'll talk to you in a little bit."

"I love you too babe. I'll call right back," BB said. He kissed into the phone and smiled when he heard Sheila kiss back before hanging up the phone.

Martha and Udit were sitting at the kitchen table with Sean propped up beside them so he could be part of the conversation. They were discussing priorities of things that Sean needed to learn. Martha and Udit understood that Sean had abilities they couldn't comprehend but he was still a baby. Udit explained that it didn't matter how powerful a Mage was, he still needed to know and understand the basics. Udit argued that understanding the basics would make him even more powerful. A red faced BB interrupted the conversation when he sat at the table with them.

"Martha, um, I have a, ah, a question to ask you," BB stammered. At her curious nod he continued. "Sheila wants to, um, stay at the ranch this week instead of going back to the valley," he concluded hurriedly.

"Well," Martha said slowly. She had to hide her grin. "That wasn't a question young man. It was a statement of what your fiancé wants. I do have some questions for you. I know you've added a couple of rooms on your apartment attached to the barn. Do you think Sheila will be happy with it? Have you talked to her about it? Has she seen it?" She was keeping her straight face and enjoying the play of emotions across the big Apache's face. His coloring under his mahogany skin tone went from red to white to purple and back to red. His expressions ran the gamut of embarrassment and fear. She was doing pretty well until Udit snorted. Then she burst out laughing.

"Damn it Udit. I thought you Indians were supposed to be all stoic," she gasped out while laughing.

"I'm sorry Martha but I couldn't help it," Udit chuckled. "I've been getting him since he was a boy but I've got to admit. You are a master." He raised his coffee cup in salute to his hostess.

"Thank you sir," Martha replied with a smile and nodding in acceptance of the homage and saluted with her own cup of coffee.

"If you two are through having your fun..." BB grumped.

Martha laid a hand on his arm and said, "BB, if we didn't love you so much we wouldn't mess with you. You should know that."

"I know," the red faced BB acknowledged. "Maybe you could love me just a touch less sometime?" he suggested and they all started laughing. Even Sean's baby giggles accompanied them.

"So, is it okay for her to stay here until the wedding?" BB asked again.

"Of course it is BB," Martha answered warmly.

"Brandon," Udit said hesitantly. His reticence alone caught BB and Martha's attention. The old man was as bold as a rock and for him to hesitate to say what was on his mind was as good as a shout. At BB's nod he continued. "I know that you were a bit wild when you were a young man. I know your Sheila is the woman that I saw in the Dream and she, er, she won't..." He glanced at Martha then back at BB before trying to continue. "Until you are married she won't, ah..."

Martha figured out what Udit was trying to say and blushed herself before exploding, "She will not!!! She will stay in the guest room next to Seth's and my room and if I get even a hint of something going on then you'll be sleeping in Phoenix until the wedding."

"No Martha," BB assured her almost in a panic. "That's not what I was asking. Sheila sleeping in the room next to you is fine. I wouldn't ask more than that ma'am. Sheila wouldn't allow anything like that anyway. We've already talked about, ah, what is, ah, appropriate behavior." He sputtered to a stop; red faced again. Finally he gathered himself and with as much dignity as he could muster asked, "Martha, can Sheila stay in the guest room next to your bedroom until the wedding? I give you my word that neither I nor Sheila will do anything to shame your home."

"Of course she can," Martha said softly as she laid her hand on his arm again. She knew that sometime, good natured teasing could really hurt. "And I know you wouldn't bring shame to OUR home BB. This is your home as much as it's mine. You're our family too you know."

"Thank you Martha," BB said with a roughened voice. He loved this woman as much as he had loved his mother. He did wish that she wouldn't pull his emotions through the gamut sometime though.

A shout from outside caught their attention and the note of warning and fear in the shout brought them all to their feet. The frightened sound of horses and cattle urged them to the window to see what was going on. Seth, Pappy, and all the animals were looking towards the main gate. The gate couldn't be seen from their window because the corner of the barn blocked the view in that direction.

"drushea," Sean said with an angry sound like he was trying to get a bad taste out of his mouth. Then he let out a cry that clearly wasn't caused by hunger or hurt. His cry was pure anger and the tenor of the animal noises outside changed from fear to anger too.

They all hurried towards the door to see what was going on. Udit paused, turned back, and grabbed Sean's carrier before hurrying out the door behind the others.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close