The Protector Chronicles - Redemption - Cover

The Protector Chronicles - Redemption

Copyright© 2013 by Misguided Child

Chapter 27: Coffee Shop Rescue

It was truly pandemonium on the other side of the big parking lot when Jonas and Clevis left the sporting goods store at a fast walk. Five police cars and several unmarked cars were arrayed in front of the coffee shop. A news van was parked at the end of the lot and a helicopter with 'News Five' stenciled on the side was overhead.

"Damn," Clevis said angrily. "The Captain's there but so are a lot of others. That will make it harder to get you through the lines."

Jonas shook his head and said, "I told you that he would be here. I'll let him know who two of the hostages are and that Mr. Rizzo is willing to pay whatever ransom they want. I can force the issue with that approach."

"You don't know him like I do," Clevis said with an explosive laugh while he tried to keep up with Jonas's long strides. "The Captain is as straight as a board, hard as nails and as stubborn as Missouri mule."

"In that case he'll need to arrest me when I come back out," Jonas said calmly.

"Jonas," Clevis said hesitantly. "Are you sure about this? You aren't immortal you know."

Jonas looked at the short, dumpy looking detective that puffed along at his side. He had to smile at the unlikely happenstance that made this man his friend. They both knew their lives had been polar opposites yet here they were; friends. Friends had been few and far between in his life and he valued this one.

"Clevis, we talked about this." Jonas said. "I really don't think you need to worry. I don't think I'll even get shot this time. I was serious about learning something new last night. I just need to get close enough to them to get a head shot."

"Oh great," Clevis panted. "All you need is four head shots. Why the hell do you need head shots?"

"You phrased that wrong," Jonas said. "Not 'why the hell'. How about; 'for God's sake why do you need head shots?"

Clevis blushed and mumbled, "Sorry." A little stronger he asked, "Why do you need head shots."

"I am assuming they will have pistols against the girl's heads," Jonas explained patiently as they neared the police line. "A head shot that destroys the cerebral cortex will freeze their muscles so their fingers can't twitch and fire their weapon. I think one or two of them will pull their barrels away from Mary and Pam to shoot at me. That will only leave two that I need to take with a head shot."

Clevis could only shake his head in frustration and worry as the pair of them walked up to the group gathered behind a swat van.

"Detective Jordan," The big, ruddy faced police captain growled. "Would you please explain why you are including civilians in this hostage situation?"

Jonas quickly viewed the captain's aura to figure out how to handle the man. He knew that what he saw was only going to make it harder to do what he needed to do. The captain was a good man and a good cop. He was honest and frustrated from dealing with one impossible situation after another. In many cases regulations prevented him doing what he knew was the right thing to do. In some cases he didn't have the resources to do what he needed to do because of budget cuts. His men didn't have the best protection because of budget cuts and the bullet proof vests the city provided could barely stop a pellet rifle. His police force was consistently outgunned and out manned by the criminals in his city. Jonas wondered what he would need to do to persuade the Captain because it was always harder to change the course of an honest man that had the courage of his convictions and believed that he was right.

"Captain, I'm here in a professional capacity sir," Jonas said with as much authority in his voice as possible. "I'm part of the security detail for two of those people in there. Tony Rizzo's granddaughter and great granddaughter are in there. Mr. Rizzo will offer a reward for the safe return of them. You can't do that. Our goal is to assist in any way possible and diffuse the situation."

"Professional capacity," the Captain spat in disdain. "This is a hostage situation Mr. Gianni. It isn't a damn assassination."

"I know that sir," Jonas said levelly. "There are more than just Mary Connors and her daughter Pam in there too."

"That's what Sgt Richards said," the Captain barked gesturing toward the old patrol sergeant. "How do you know how many hostages and gunman there are?" he asked suspiciously.

Jonas hesitated as he looked at the big police captain. He didn't want to lie to the man. It didn't feel right. On the other hand, he knew that he couldn't tell him the truth either because then he would be hauled off to a rubber room. Finally he said, "I can't tell you the source of that intelligence until we get those people safely out of there sir. I can tell you after they are safe but it would jeopardize them if I tell you before they are safe."

The police captain's eyes bulged and he face turned a darker shade of red. He started sputtering as he tried to say something but Clevis interrupted him.

"Captain, he can get all the hostages out alive," Clevis said quietly but with so much conviction in his voice it seemed to cut through all the other noises around the barricade. "I believe that so strong that I'm willing to put my badge on the line. I know what the rules say about civilians being involved but I am more concerned about the hostages than some rule that someone tried to write in a conference room to cover every situation. Those rules were written down at city hall. Out here, real lives are on the line. The rules are good guidelines but there are times they need to be bent to fit the situation."

The captain looked hard a Clevis for a very long moment before asking, "Why do you have so much faith in this man. You know what he is. You know how long we've tried to get something on him. You know he's a killer and we just can't find proof. Why do you have faith in him?"

Clevis was the one to hesitate before answering. "Captain," he said slowly. "I know what we believe he has done. I still believe he has done some pretty bad things but he hasn't been convicted. I've told him that if I get proof then he's going to jail. He accepted that and said he would go peacefully if I ever did get proof and we would let the lawyers work out the details. He has also saved my life and given me reason to believe that he will do what he says he will do. You know what he did at the airport. You know what he did down in the warehouse district a couple of weeks ago when we stopped Francisco Rodriguez." Clevis glanced at Jonas quickly before looking back at the captain. "He is also the one that gave me the tip on where that nut case was taking that girl in the park. I believe that Jonas has a better chance of getting those hostages out alive than anyone else in the world. He could get killed in the process but he is more concerned with getting them out than his own life. If he is willing to risk his life then my badge really isn't much of a sacrifice."

The captain glared at Clevis before shifting his angry gaze to Jonas. "Shit, shit, shit," he said in frustration. He glared at the coffee shop then his shoulders slumped and he seemed to deflate slightly. "What do you need from us Gianni?"

"I don't need anything sir," Jonas said with a sigh of relief. "Just ask your men not to shoot me when we come out please," Jonas said as he took off his jacket.

The captain looked Jonas up and down in disbelief. Jonas had his pistol in his shoulder holster and the two revolvers strapped to his side. He shook his head and muttered, "I don't believe I'm doing this," he muttered. He looked over his shoulder at one of his lieutenants and said, "Pass the word. Don't shoot the idiot."

"Yes sir," the young man said and ran to the SWAT van.

Jonas walked to an opening between two vehicles and looked around the corner. Clevis walked up and quietly asked, "Are you sure about this?"

Jonas nodded and took a deep breath, held it, then let it out slowly. "I don't know of another way to get them out of there." He glanced down the line of vehicles and smiled. "At least I have an ambulance on site this time."

"So, you're not sure you won't get hit," Clevis said softly.

"No," Jonas said just as softly. "All I can do is put together the best plan that I can and hope that Joe can do his reality switching thing so I can live through it." He clapped the detective on the shoulder. "Say a prayer for me and have faith," Jonas said with a smile. He took another breath and let it out slowly before stepping around the corner of the vehicle.

"I will and I have been," Clevis said quietly. "I just hope prayers and faith are enough."

"Prayers and faith are what this is all about?" the captain asked incredulously from behind Clevis's shoulder.

Clevis jumped at the words. He hadn't heard the big captain walk up behind him. "How long has it been since we've had much more than that Captain?" Clevis asked a little angrily. "We're outgunned by just about every punk on the street. We work for peanuts and drive wrecks while the bad guys make millions and drive beamers. How many cops in your division can you honestly say are straight arrow? I know I have to trust some of my fellow officers but I worry every time I turn in a report because I don't know who will read it and how much of it will get back to the street. So yes Captain. When everything is boiled down to the bottom line, prayers and faith are about all I have left."

They watched together as Jonas advanced about ten feet. He stopped and called, "We need to talk about the ransom." Then he started taking slow, steady steps toward the front of the coffee shop.

"I've learned how powerful prayers and faith can be in the last couple of weeks," Clevis answered the captain quieter than his previous outburst. "I've seen things that have made me a believer. I know those hostages will die in there if Jonas can't get them out. I know their only chance for survival is Jonas. Saving people in jams like we have in there is why I became a cop. I was losing hope Captain. We were losing the war. Then I witnessed something that was impossible and we didn't lose one battle. Then we won another battle then another after that. I have to believe or quit Captain so putting my badge on the line isn't a big deal."

The captain just nodded his head slowly in agreement while watching Jonas approach the front of the coffee shop.

"Joe, do you have an update for me?" Jonas asked in his mind.

"You will have two at your one o'clock and two o'clock when you go in the door. Another will be at your eleven o'clock and another at your ten o'clock," Joe answered. "Pam and Wanda are being held by the two on your left. Mary is being held by the one at one o'clock."

Jonas nodded to himself as he stopped in front of the door. The door was solid up to a little more than waist high and was glass the rest of the way up. The split farmhouse door fit perfect with the old fashion farm house motif the owners of the coffee shop were trying to create. He reached out and lightly tapped on the side of the door before calling out, "I need to come in and talk to you about the ransom and find out what you need to feel comfortable with to get out of this mess. I figure we are talking about millions to make it worth your while. None of you have to die today. Can I come in now?"

There was silence from inside the coffee shop. The Venetian type shades were closed over the front windows and the old fashioned spring loaded shade over the door was pulled down. Jonas saw fingers grasp the shade over the door window in the middle. He watched the fingers tense and release a few times before the catch in the spring released and the shade leaped up with a snap that was audible outside the door. Jonas was staring into Mary's frightened eyes. He could see a man behind her holding her hair with one hand and forcing the barrel of a pistol against the back of her head. Jonas could see the finger on the trigger tense when the shade snapped up. The man leaned forward and whispered something in Mary's ear. Mary slowly reached out and twisted the deadbolt release and engaged the catch to keep it unlocked. The man jerked Mary's head back as he backed up forcing her to follow him. He made sure Mary stayed between him and Jonas. He stopped when he was back in the position that Joe had described before.

"Unbuckle the shoulder rig and drop it right there," someone called from inside.

Jonas slowly unbuckled the strap in the middle of his chest and slipped the rig off his shoulders. He wrapped the leather straps around the pistol and holster, held it up to show them, and tossed it to the side.

"Come in slowly and keep your hands up," the voice instructed.

Jonas kept one hand up and slowly reached with the other to twist the door knob. He pushed the door and brought his hand back to shoulder height. He kneed the door and took a short step forward before the pneumatic actuator closed it again. He took another step forward and to the side. Jonas didn't want to make it easy for them and keep himself silhouetted against the window.

"He's got two more guns," one of the men warned unnecessarily.

Jonas could see that another man was preparing to say something but he interrupted him. "I'm authorized for up to five million to release those two," Jonas said quietly nodding towards Mary and Pam. "That's a million apiece and another million for your boss. The only thing we need to figure out is how to get you out of here in one piece so you can collect it. One way to safely get out of here is to give up. Anyone willing to give up can tell me and I'll get them safe passage out of here and you still get the million. If you have another plan to get out of here then let me know what I need to do to help." It's funny the way people react to voices. Yell at someone and they quit listening and pull away. Speak softly to someone and they lean toward you and listen harder.

Silence followed his statement and he used the time to study the cartel men's auras. Jorge' Cruz was a cousin to Carlos. He was an evil man but he was also a coward. Jonas saw the instructions that had been given to him by Carlos. If Jorge' didn't bring back someone from Tony Rizzo's circle then he would use Jorge' to scream his life out to the Mafia Capo. Jes'us Ortega was a hard man and just as evil. He would kill at the drop of a hat and wasn't afraid of dying himself. He had killed men, women, and children without hesitation simply because he was ordered to. He might be a cold blooded killer but he didn't rape girls like Jorge' did. Victor Sanchez seemed to be a blend of Jorge' and Jes'us. He was a cold blooded killer and a rapist. Ramon Ramirez was a party animal that did whatever felt good. He also enjoyed killing for the feeling of power that it gave him.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close