Preservation and Protection, Book 3 - Cover

Preservation and Protection, Book 3

Copyright© 2013 by radio_guy

Chapter 2

She continued, "We are going to marry them. Our full-time residence will be in Protection but we want to keep the house here and will make frequent trips to Preservation to see you and everyone else we know and love here. We also talked to Tom and Vic about a larger plane to bring all eight of us here.

"You haven't lost a son and daughter but have gained another son and two more daughters plus two grandchildren with another on the way."

We jumped up and hugged. Shirl told them that she looked forward to meeting her new children and grandchildren.

Bennie said, "That's good. Tom is flying the Connie down in three days to bring everyone who can come for the wedding. Robby and I thought it a good idea to have an event since it was the first joining between our communities."

I said, "We will come and I'm sure your dad and Kay will come. There will be others who will come with us. You are both well liked and respected. Many will come for the wedding and give our communities a further chance to meet and get to know each other."

Shirl said, "I'm sure Jim, his wives, and Jen will be in line right after us. Ted and his wife and many others will want to go up to Protection. Janice, warn them to prepare for a crowd."

She smiled and said, "We will have the ceremony outside as well as the reception. All of Protection will probably be there, too. Tom and Vic are looking for a new plane for us, too. Robby and Pam are going to learn to fly as well.

"We are going to stay tonight and head back in the morning. We will come back here about a week after the ceremony. We are going to work on the house to fit it for all of us when we come. Robby and Bennie have been talking about it. We will make final arrangements about the farm operation then, too."

That was the big news. The rest of the time was spent just talking and listening to Mike tell Janice and Bennie that he and Jen were going to be explorers just like his big sister and her husband. We all had a laugh at that though I could tell my young son was serious and I would bet that Jen was conversant with his plans and agreeable with them. Jim and his wives and daughter would be coming to the wedding ceremony.

Bennie and Janice flew back to complete the planning for the ceremony. A couple of days later, Tom and Vic flew the Connie into Carrollton airport for their second load of the day. Their first trip brought a goodly number of Pintlala folk and took some Preservation folk. This was the second and last trip of the day and would be full of Preservation people eager to celebrate and meet more of the Protection people. Mike and Jen rode up front with Tom and Vic to start their flying lessons.

When we arrived, there were plenty of people to meet and greet us. George and his wives were there with their children. We would be staying overnight with them. We had to quell an uprising when Jen insisted on being with Mike and he supported her. Judith became the peacemaker offering to take both children with us all and watch over them along with hers. George, Jr., eyed the pretty girl but Jen only has eyes for Mike and he only has eyes for her. Shirl and I had said that we hope everything works out for them as their plans are already made.

The ceremony was beautiful with Alan of Protection leading the ceremony and making official the commitment the five of them already had for one another. They all skipped out of the reception at a reasonable hour to go to their farm and celebrate their union. Shirl and I said our good byes as we figured they would not be out tomorrow and we would be heading home. Tom and Vic sat and talked with Shirl and me and with Jane, Judith, and George telling us where they were in the process of finding another plane and learning more about jets. Tom said, "One thing about jets is the fuel seems to be lasting longer. There will be a time in the future when gas for prop planes just won't be available. The only hope we have is to get a refinery back on line."

Vic said, "Then we have to get the fuel to the planes. Airplanes don't make good tankers. That means we have to move fuel using tanker trucks of some kind. One nice thing about jets is their capacity and speed. We can cover more territory faster than on foot, horse, or vehicle."

Listening to them talk, I realized that I would have to adjust my thinking. Air travel created a wholly different time and space sense for exploring. It also produced some limitations. Jim asked the brothers why weren't more planes being flown.

Vic said, "In our situation, we had the ability to fly, the ability to fix what we flew, and a place to do both. That's not an easy combination. Look at the folk in Pintlala or the Salt Lakers you met when you were traveling.

"They have the place and some of the mechanical ability but no pilots. Jack, pilots are like ham radio operators. There never were many. After the Day, they could be thinly spread and many don't know much about the planes they fly. We know how to work on jets but it will take more time before we are using one to make passenger runs."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close