Robert Macleod - the Early Years
Chapter 14: The plan proceeds

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Early the next morning, I contacted the Chief Mesmerist of the Bureau. Unfortunately, he was unable to help me, so I next contacted Sir James Whiteshield at my old college, MIT. When I explained what I had in mind, he was thoughtful for a moment.

Then he said, "I believe one of our ex-students lives and works there in Little Rock. He is the Healer Atkinson. I remember that he had a fine affinity for mesmerism. If he is still in that part of the world, he should be able to do just what you need. Let me know how you get on. There maybe more that I can do for you."

"Thank you, Sir James, that's very good of you."

I broke the connection and sought out Mistress Jennings.

"I wonder if you know of a Healer Atkinson?"

"Oh, yes. Geoffrey lives just down the road. He is our healer. I am sure he'll treat you, if you need him."

Following Mistress Jenning's directions, I soon arrived at Healer Atkinson's residence and consulting rooms. The maid who opened his front door directed me around to the side of the house where his practice was. I entered and explained to the receptionist there why I needed to consult with the Healer. I was told to wait as there was patient with him.

About ten minutes later, a youngish man with an older lady came out of the Healer's office. He bade her goodbye, and after she left he turned to me.

"Good morning, and what can I do for you, Sir?"

"Are you the Healer Atkinson?"

"Yes."

"Sir James Whiteshield gave me your name, Sir. He said that you might be able to assist me with a case that I'm investigating."

I showed him my credentials.

"Of course. Why don't you come into my office?"

We entered the office and made ourselves comfortable, The healer continued.

"This all sounds exciting. What did Sir James tell you about me?"

"He said you were an expert mesmerist., and that's what I need right now. I have a person whose personality has been changed for the worse. I would like to see if that change can be reversed, and perhaps then we would have a productive member of society. I think that he may have been adversely influenced by his brother. We need to reverse that influence and ensure that it can't happen again."

"Who is the subject?"

"Frederick McCarthy."

"That evil man! I'd rather give up my healing abilities before I lifted a finger to help him."

"Whoa just a minute. Do I understand that he has been blackmailing you?"

"No. Not me, but a very good friend of mine. His wife lost their baby that she was carrying. McCarthy, damn his eyes, suggested to the couple that they had aborted it. No. You'll have to make out a very good case before I'd help that man."

"Please hear me out. As far as I can determine, this behavior is comparatively recent. As I understand it, when his father was alive he used to be a successful business man and a good and considerate husband. After his father died, I think his brother poisoned his mind by giving him a false version of his father's opinion of him. That was what changed his behavior for the worse."

"That still doesn't make me want to help him though."

"You might if you could look on it at as helping others. If you can remove the poison from his soul, you will be helping his wife, his employees and everyone who does business with him. You will also be helping everyone who has suffered from his blackmail. You will also have the gratitude of the Governor-General. Do it for them and for yourself if not for him."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close