The Escape!
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2012 by Terriblethom

I was feeling a little down as I headed back to the gym. I hated public speaking and Kittrick had already said I would have to speak later. When I got to the main door, the smell of food about knocked me over. I went inside and saw the end of the line right in front of me, so I just joined it. I don't know what they had been cooking all day, but my mouth was watering from the smells.

I was looking around as the line moved and realized I had either seen or met most of the people in the room. Some had even sat down and joined us at the bull sessions we had in the evenings. I was wondering what I was going to tell them and then it hit me; all I had to do was to give my own outlook on the situation and let it go from there. I did know that we needed firearms and I don't mean pistols or saddle guns. If we were going to be able to stand off any kind of raid, we were going to need something a lot more modern than what I had seen floating around the barricades. I had noticed that over half of the men and women here were packing pistols and all of them seemed comfortable with them.

When I finally got to where the women were putting food on our plates, I couldn't believe the different kinds and amounts that were available. If I could think of it, I would be willing to bet someone had cooked it. When I got to the end, I was doubly surprised to see homemade bread! It was still warm and two slices were handed to me to pile on my plate with the rest of the food. If anybody went hungry tonight it would be their own fault, 'cause it took both hands just to hold the weight of the plate. I was offered a drink and told the lady I would have to come back for it. She said don't worry I will send one of the kids over with your drink and pie when you get seated. I thanked her and had started looking for a place to sit when I noticed Shelly was waving at me, so I headed that way. By the time I had carefully worked my way to their table, my arms were tired from holding up the weight of the food on my plate. I carefully sat the plate down and just collapsed in the chair.

"Boy, they really piled your plate full, didn't they?"

"Brenda, if I am able to eat half of this it will be a minor miracle. I hate to be the spoilsport, but isn't this a big waste of our resources?"

"Nah, we didn't touch any of the stored stuff in the walk-ins. All of this came in on those two big helicopters today. A lot of it was pre-cooked by the Army and put in big covered pans, so all we had to do was heat it up. Bowie and several other towns all got the same things when they got their delivery. I have a feeling this will be the last of some things that we will see for awhile. Thom, who is going to be in charge now that Barry has resigned and the Sheriff is no longer telling everyone what to do?"

"Well as much as I hate to say it, I guess it's gonna be me. But, I am going to make sure Barry is my second-in-command because he is well liked and respected by almost everyone in town. I didn't plan on this, but the government in their infinite wisdom decided that since I was a former Marshal, I would just have to accept it. We all are going to have a lot to do and a very short window to do it in. Brenda, your husband and that old geezer in line behind him thought it was funny when Kittrick handed me my old ID and told me I was now in charge. I bet with Shelly and Mikey's help we can turn it around on them while they stuff their faces."

I laid out a quick plan while they were getting their food, and all three of them decided they wanted in on it. They started discussing ways to get to their dad and BK for laughing at me. Me, I just let it go in one ear and out the other while stuffing my face. When they finally made it to the table, I hurriedly finished my food and winked at Shelly when I got up. I was making room for BK and Barry to sit since Brenda had gotten up and was cleaning the table. I hadn't quite made it to the dirty dish tubs when I hear a very loud; "I have to do what?" come from Barry. It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud as I dropped off my dirty dishes and headed for the coffee pot. I finally got a cup and was looking around when I saw Zeke, the Sheriff, Kittrick, and the Border Patrol Super standing together. I headed that way just in time to hear ole Zeke cut loose on him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close