John Spreads His Wings - Cover

John Spreads His Wings

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 2: Eye Scream

After Becky had served everyone with their choice of ice cream, we observed the silence of dedicated consumers! When all but Samantha had finished, Becky collected the dishes and I began our debriefing session.

"Now Mistress Boon, has Samantha exhibited behavior anything like this before?"

"No! She's always been a very well behaved little girl. Mind you I don't know why she left her baby-sitter."

Becky came in with, "The Sheriff's Deputy who contacted Mistress Hernandez, said that she was taken sick. She hadn't been with Samantha today. She tried to contact Mistress Boon, but she hadn't been able to."

"I didn't know! Before, when she's been unable to sit Sam, she's always told me in time for me to make some other arrangement."

"So, Samantha has not been left on her own before?" I said.

"No, never!"

"That," said Sarah, "could be traumatic for a four-year old girl."

"Have any other members of her family exhibited any signs of magical talent?"

"I don't think so. I really don't know. How do you tell? You see, Samantha's father left me as soon as he knew I was pregnant. I never knew any of his family and I don't know of any of my family with any magic talent."

"Not to worry. The important thing is that Samantha is extremely talented and we must ensure that she receives the correct education. Becky, do you think that you could manage Samantha's general education, so that the sorcerers amongst us can concentrate on the magical content of her education."

"Yes, John, if she will accept me as her teacher, then, yes, I could. Mistress Boon, would it help you, if Samantha boarded here during the week?"

"Yes! I'd be ever so grateful. I can't afford much though. How much would you charge?

"And Samantha," I said. "How do you feel about schooling here? Do you think you would like it?"

"Err, yes! But would I have time to play?"

"Of course, you will! Right then, Mistress Boon. There will be no charge! I suggest that we try it for the rest of this week and perhaps carry straight into next week. Is that agreeable to you?

"Yes, thank you. I've sorely needed some time to myself. A small girl can be so time consuming; not that I don't love her, you know."

"Right, Becky, would you show Samantha where she can sleep and get her settled in.?" The two of them got up and left the room. "Sarah, are there any problems with the arrangements so far?"

"No, none that I can see. Of course, you'll have to clear it with Robert when they return, but I don't see any problems there."

"Thank you! Mistress Boon, we've arranged with your employer to give you time off to include the rest of the day. Would you let me escort you home?"

"Thank you sir, but it's not far and it's a nice day for a walk."

We escorted Mistress Boon to the front door and saw her on her way. I then returned to the family room to find the others had come down stairs.

When we were all seated again, I said, "Now Samantha, we need to to know what you know so that we know where to start teaching you. Can you read and write?

"No, silly. I'm only four years old. I haven't even started school yet."

"Yes, but some children learn early before they start school. By the way do you prefer to be called Sam or Samantha?"

"Everybody calls me Sam except when I've been very bad and Mommy calls me Samantha, But I like the way you say it. Could you please call me Samantha?

Becky asked Samantha, "What about numbers, Samantha? What can you tell me about numbers?"

"Well! I can count, but only up to thirty. I don't know the names for bigger numbers. Will you teach them to me?"

Sarah came with, "Sam, I know that you can talk with mind at a distance and you can move yourself about. Can you move other things?"

"Like this." She reached over and pushed her ice cream bowl with her hand.

"No, Sam. Move it without touching it."

"How?"

"Think that you want it to move. Like this!" Sarah stared at the bowl as it rose slightly above the table and moved slowly and gracefully in a small circle. "Now you try."

Samantha stared hard at the bowl. Her eyes screwed up and her hand twitched towards the bowl. Suddenly it took off and broke against the wall, The broken pieces fell to the floor.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close