Preservation and Protection
Chapter 27

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

We pulled out of the garage without incident and began to shoot as soon as we had targets.

The lions seemed to be backing off from the armory and I realized that it was around four in the morning. We took out about ten more before all of them had faded into the woods. Out of targets, we headed back to the armory and met the other Bradley coming around a corner. We went along together and entered the garage.

It was very quiet when we entered the garage from the Bradley's. There were three covered bodies to one side. Pam came up to me and said, "We can bury Dave and Carol just about anywhere, but what can we do about Charles?"

I thought for a moment and said, "There are two choices. We can find a spot here or load a Bradley with fuel and make a run to Protection. I would have to do some figuring on fuel because we would return. We might even bring some help."

Pam said, "I like that idea and I think that will be Melissa's desire. I'll talk to her. She's still emotional though I think killing Dave might have helped in a harsh way. She's lying down now. She doesn't know it but I think she may be pregnant."

"That would be great!" I exclaimed.

"We'll see. It's early yet. I would like to get her home to talk with Abe and have George examine her. Go and give her a hug and then do your figuring. It would be just the three of us with Charles and maybe one other person though I doubt it."

I did what she suggested. My numbers came up with about three hours by car and under two hundred miles. I would have to figure what I could expect from a Bradley. I went into the garage's office to find specifications. I took a bit of looking but I found what I wanted. The maximum cruising speed was about forty miles per hour and a range of just below three hundred miles. That meant we could make the trip in about five hours but would need to fuel it in Protection or somewhere or we could run out before making it all the way back. That was not a possibility I wanted to contemplate with the lions still a force in the area.

I was talking this over with Pam and she reminded me that we had a lake of both diesel and gasoline in Protection left over from fighting the Memphians. We didn't take vehicles because horses, though slower, gave us more mobility that a Humvee or anything else like it. I brightened up at that and started planning the trip and what the folks here could do in the interim. When finished, I went to Darryl and told him my plans for the trip and for the armory until we returned. He thought it a good idea. We decided to present it at supper. I was planning a three or four day round trip. I alerted Pam and Melissa that we would leave the next morning unless something came up.

At supper, I talked about our plans. No one objected. We would leave in the morning. This evening and while we were gone, everyone would stay in the armory and strengthen it from lions trying to break in. It was quiet. I shot a few more eyes but there were no incursions by us or by any lions.

In the morning, we carried Charles' body into the Bradley, topped off the fuel, and moved out toward Protection. It was a quiet trip. We stopped at Abe's telling him what happened. Pam asked that we have a service for Charles tomorrow morning. Abe gave us startling news! Melissa was pregnant with a son! Melissa didn't even know she was pregnant! Abe's pronouncements could be scary, particularly because they always came true.

From there, we went to George's home and gave him a full report including our request to Abe. Jane and Judith cried with Pam and Melissa over Charles' and our son to come. George insisted upon examining her. He confirmed that she was pregnant though couldn't comment upon the sex of the baby this early. He also insisted upon examining Pam but she wasn't pregnant though was in good physical condition. It was my turn next and I was given a clean bill of health and was told I wasn't pregnant either. I said that that was a relief. The comment brought more laughter than it deserved. Abe had said and George also said he would spread the word all over the community.

We drove home from there. By suppertime, we had more food than we could eat in a week and Doris had come over and took over handling food and people with help from one of Abe's wives, Claire. They organized everything including people not allowing anyone to overstay yet giving everyone a chance to weep with us. Abe had Amos and Arnold take Charles' body and prepare it for burial. He had other men dig the grave. Claire and Doris stayed the night and helped watch over us as we slept in the master bedroom.

The next morning, we awakened to the smell of breakfast. Pam and Melissa were good cooks but Doris and Claire had years of experience honing their skills and the smells indicated that those years were well spent. We piled out of bed, dressed, and went to the kitchen to find them giggling to each other as they brought the food to the table. I pulled up an extra chair and all five of us sat down to a wonderful meal. After we finished, we were sent back to our bedroom to dress a little better and more formally. We sobered up realizing why we had to dress. We did and came out to receive approvals from both Claire and Doris. They escorted us to the church. Abe, Alan, and Amos met us there. Amos escorted us to a small room that I didn't know existed. It was usually the bride's room, which explains why I hadn't known about it. We sat together and Abe, George, and his wives sat with us. Angela and Claire began the music leading the congregation in singing the old hymns of American Christendom. We left the room and came to the back of the church. Judith and Jane went in and sat down. George held us while Abe joined Alan at the front of the church. George escorted Melissa and I escorted Pam to the front and the three of us sat down.

With Claire at the piano, Angela sang an old hymn, "Softly and Tenderly," which brought tears to everyone's eyes. She sat down with Claire and Abe stood and came to the pulpit. He started, "Charles was loved by many and died as he lived, caring for and protecting others. We named our community, Protection, for a reason. We care and we care enough to protect others. Charles' life epitomized that to the end."

Abe said more but I didn't really hear him as I thought of him and how I loved him and would miss him. I vowed to myself to be sure Melissa knew she was loved every day and I knew Pam was probably thinking the same thing. I later learned that I was correct. Persons from Memphis spoke of kindnesses from Charles during those difficult days. George was the last to speak about how Pam and I had found Charles and Melissa and shot them. Then he told that we later all fell in love and married. He said that we demonstrated marriage to us all. He then said, "Now, it's up to Melissa, Pam, and Robby to go on and to all of us to remember Charles."

Abe prayed and we left the church to buy our spouse. When it was all over, we went inside for more food and fellowship. At one point, Arnold told me that this was typical of the Deep South because people there cared for each other and fellowshipped with one another in churches more than anywhere else.

We went home after the service to find that Angela and Judith were there to watch over us into the evening before going home for the evening. They said they would be back in the morning to help us with breakfast. They did. I did manage to get up and fix coffee before they arrived. I only was half way through my first cup of the day when they came in and shooed me out of the kitchen. I went into the bedroom and woke Melissa and then Pam letting them know we had helpful guests.

We had another great breakfast. Judith told us that George would like to talk with us about the situation in Cape Girardeau today. Pam said, "Robby, you go. Melissa and I will stay here. There are things we need to do before we leave again."

"Okay, Dears. Judith, I'm ready when you are. Angela, I can drop you off at home if you wish."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close