Preservation and Protection
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

I have not been diligent in keeping this journal up to date. Judith saw it and ganged up with Jane to make me sit down and bring it up to date. We grew in the three years since the fight with the Memphians. Our married folk had more children. Jane and Judith both blessed me with two more children and Judith is pregnant now. We have George, Jr., Edith named after Judith's mother, Bethany, and Mark. Their names will live on and their lives remembered. Along the way, we have had peace and perhaps that is the best thing. Abe says that we have fought our war and won. The slaves rescued from the Memphians are well on the way to recovering fully and we have added some couples and small groups from across the Mississippi as well as from the northeast.

Protection now counts over one hundred full members and other associated persons. We are doing without power more and more. Batteries and fuel are becoming scarce and we do without much that we once thought was necessary.

Robby's wife, Pam, was having trouble staying pregnant. She lost the child from the fight with the Memphians and hadn't become pregnant since. My testing of them was inclusive as to the reason. They had adopted Charles and Melissa. The two were popular because they were good looking and intelligent. They seemed to be content to live with Robby and Pam and made no real effort to respond to the romantic attentions of any others their age. Both were over our age of consent. I thought about it but didn't worry much about it.

When it was the fifth year anniversary since the Day, we marked it but it was not an event for celebration but for quiet remembrance. Our community was a religious community without carrying our faith in any fringe direction. Abe talked about God and Jesus as if they were old and trusted friends. It had rubbed off on me and I think the rest felt that way. Abe had taken on a number of the former Memphian slaves and brought most of them into full emotional stability. Most of the women were married now and happy with their lives. Abe had one young man who he spent special amounts of time teaching him the Bible and praying with his wives and Alan's wife. The five of them truly worked as a team and Alan occasionally preached on Sundays. Alan's preaching was much like Abe's and talked of love and caring with a healthy dose of God's Spirit. I kidded Abe on day that they should have a "preach off." He smiled and said, "He will be here on his own with God to lead him eventually. He's a good man and Iris is a good wife to him."

I smiled back and said, "Not any time soon. Abe, you're the pillar in this community. We will also need and value your advice."

"Thanks, Mr. George. I won't last forever. The time will come when God calls me home and I will go. My wives know this and are prepared." I grimaced. I never could get him to drop the "Mr." from my name.

"Hopefully, it won't be soon. There is much to do here."

"I've wanted to talk to you about the future. There are people who would be good for us in two areas. One small group is to our northwest and the other is to our east. The ones to the northwest need our help. I can't give you any more direction than that but that trip needs to start soon."

Traveling in my mind meant Robby. He and Pam were good people and had become friends during and after Memphis. He was our most military guy and able to handle himself in the field. He had taught Pam, Charles, and Melissa since Memphis and they had learned the lessons well. Robby was one of our best hunters. In the woods, he was a ghost. I went to their farm.

"Hi, George. It looks like you have a chore." Pam greeted me cheerfully.

"Well, yes. Abe came to see me. He told me that people need our help to the northwest."

Robby said, "I thought Pam was teasing but you do have something."

"Yes, I do. Abe says that, to the northwest, there is a group that needs us. He didn't suggest that we would be in another war but I would prefer we help if we can but protect us in the process."

Robby said, "George, what do you know?"

I replied, "Not much. Abe has said we have fought our war and these people are located to the northwest and that they need our help. He also said that there is another group to the east that we will meet later. You know Abe. His pronouncements are a mixture of general and specific information. The thing that scares me is that they're accurate."

Melissa had been quiet until now. She spoke up saying, "Road trip! I'm ready!"

Pam said, "Down, girl. No one's going anywhere yet and there's no guarantee you'll go anyway." She grinned to take the sting out.

"Aww!"

Robby picked up the discussion. "George, what did you have in mind?"

Robby didn't fool around. I responded, "Northwest means Missouri and we haven't had many people come from there. I am guessing that the people northwest of us are having a problem and we can help them or just need to be part of a larger group to help survive. I don't know but that's my guess. I think a small expedition to go up there and find out would be appropriate and, frankly, you're the best man for that."

Pam said, "We have crops in the ground and animals. Can you arrange someone to look after them?"

"Yes, and, if I can't get anyone else, I will handle covering for you."

Robby said, 'Okay, you arrange that and we'll plan to leave next Monday. I'll drop by Sunday to go over what details might come up."

He stood and I did, too. We shook hands and I knew I had to be ready to cover for him when they left. I went back home and left him to talk over things.

His report is important to our community and I record it here.

When George left us, I looked at Pam and said, "Lovie, we need to talk about this and make some decisions." She nodded.

"Melissa said, "Charles and I will want to take part in that, too."

I nodded and said, "We will talk tonight over supper. I need to go help Charles."

Charles and I completed our work for the day, came home, and cleaned up for supper. Over supper, Melissa said, "Well, what about the trip?"

Pam looked at me and said, "Mel, it's more than that. I think we need to talk about our relationship and make a decision."

Charles and Melissa both looked troubled. I said, "I think the four of us need to talk to Abe together. If he is open and accepting, then we can go further, talk to George, and not have to hide any more."

They all nodded at me and I said, "Then, let's do it now. It won't get better or worse by waiting and we need to resolve this."

Charles and I got the wagon out and put the horses in their harness. We left for Abe's farm in moments. We arrived, as they were finishing supper. The four of us were invited in and Abe said, "I was wondering if this trip would finally get you over here."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close