Preservation and Protection - Cover

Preservation and Protection

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

Chapter 4

She said, "I know it's late but may I come in."

I forgot about my state of clothing and said, "Of course. Come in." Then, I realized that I was under-dressed for the occasion. "Let me get some pants on."

She grinned and said, "Don't bother. I won't hurt you."

The room had a chair and a bed. She sat on the bed and I sat on the chair still uncomfortable with our comparative states of dress. She looked at me and grinned some more. She said, "Would you be more comfortable if I took my clothes off?"

"Uh. No. I just." My words trailed off into silence.

"George, let me tell you why I'm here."

"That would be good," I thought. Her explanation might keep my mind off her body and my lack of clothes. I nodded.

"I'm here because I believe you're right about the virus and that Doris is right about what to do. Also, I like you and think we can at least be friends."

"I would like to think we are friends already."

She smiled. Then, she said, "There is one other reason why I'm here. I don't want to be alone tonight. I'm tough but I'm still afraid of what's happening and about to happen. I just don't want to be by myself. That has happened too much."

"I guess I understand. I wasn't looking forward to hanging around in this room by myself tonight either. Thanks for coming over. That took guts."

"Not as much as being by myself tonight."

Jane went into the bathroom. It was late and I turned off the overhead light and switched on the two beside lights. I slipped into one side of the bed and lay back. I had pulled a paperback mystery from my briefcase that I carried for reading material when traveling. Jane went into the bathroom and came out in panties and a slip or chemise over her top. Her breasts bounced just a little which I appreciated as I glanced over my book. I knew she was pretty and, with what little she was wearing, her figure could really be seen and was very good. I could see a little of her tummy which looked taunt. I thought that Doris might have a point. This was someone to keep close.

I was thinking those thoughts as she crawled into bed. She said, "Did you get a good enough look? Do I pass?"

I jerked guiltily and said, "I saw enough to know that you pass with flying colors. You are a beautiful person."

"Just a person?" She had a fiendish grin.

"A beautiful lady, who is pointing at me." I looked down at her nipples that were showing through her chemise.

She blushed a bit as she realized her nipples were visible though covered.

I figured we were even in that department. I was just happy that I managed not to get a real erection.

She said, "George, I like you and want to be with you tonight but not that much. Is that okay?"

"Yes, I would like to see more of you and will honor that request."

"You've seen most everything already."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know but I couldn't resist kidding you. I would like to get to know you better, too."

She snuggled in close and I realized those breasts were firm. I looked at her and she leaned in and kissed me on the lips in a lingering fashion. When she released me, she said, "Thank you."

I said, "You are very welcome." She snuggled down making a place in the crook of my arm with her head on my shoulder. I put my book away and turned off the light. We went to sleep just like that.

I woke up the next morning feeling that my shoulder was dead. I realized that we hadn't moved all night. I could feel her body next to mine. I must have moved or done something that woke her. She opened her eyes and smiled at me. "That's a nice way to sleep and a nice way to wake up, too." I grinned. She said, "How's your arm?"

"It's still asleep but don't move. I like it."

She leaned up and gave me a light kiss. She said, "You're sweet. We need to get moving. I'm afraid this will not be a good day."

I used my free hand to fumble for the remote and turned on the TV. The news was on and the information from Florida and South Georgia wasn't good. It was immediately obvious to me that the virus was beginning to make people sick. What was worse, people were panicking since they didn't know what was happening. It was going to be worse than Genruss had thought because it was unknown.

We jumped out of bed, went through our morning processes, got dressed and left for the ground floor and work.

We bumped into Doris on the elevator when she joined us at the second floor. She looked at us and said, "Now, I know why Jane didn't answer her phone last night." We both blushed and she laughed happily at our discomfort. I decided that saying nothing happened wouldn't do any good. After all, something had happened just not what Doris seemed to think.

The three of us exited the elevator on the first floor and were met by Secret Service or FBI agents who directed us to a meeting room in the building. There, we found the rest of our working group except for a couple of older men who came in later. I said, "We need to go public as soon as possible. It was obvious to me from the news this morning that the virus survived and is spreading."

Tom Glass, the army guy, looked worried and said, "The wraps are still on. Genruss has convinced the President that telling the truth will create a massive panic."

"There already is a panic! People aren't stupid. They know something is wrong, very wrong. We need to do something and let responsible people have a chance at surviving. Not doing anything is going to accelerate the panic."

He said, "I agree, George. We're trapped at the moment until at least later today. If the President doesn't act by then, I intend to resign my commission and leave. If they are going to be in denial, I will not be a part of it."

"Are they going to hand out face masks and protective coverings?" Jane asked.

Tom said, "No. That would scare the public to see people in or around the White House wearing coverings to protect themselves. It would show that we know something that is being hidden from the rest of the nation."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close