Little Girls of Wonder - Little Dreamer Dolly - Cover

Little Girls of Wonder - Little Dreamer Dolly

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 1

Dolly is a uniquely pretty sweet-hearted nine-year-old girl who sometimes finds it hard to focus and concentrate. She is extremely fit, with very long beautiful blonde hair and endlessly intelligent blue eyes.

When Dolly should be paying attention is class she is often daydreaming about worlds that are unique to her little girl heart and mind. She is a good girl and she is very smart, but sometimes when she should be quiet she just keeps on talking.

Sometimes it even annoys her when she is working on one thing, and then the next minute she finds herself completely somewhere else. When others around her would only wish for calm, she just keeps going on and on and on. There is nothing wrong with Dolly; she was just born with a lot of energy. All she has to do is learn to channel it to something useful. This is that story.

"I don't know what to do with her! She keeps getting in trouble for being disruptive in class and, my god, she just never stops."

"You don't do anything with her, sister. There's nothing wrong with her. If people around her can't keep up with her, is that a reflection on her or the people around her?

"You damn well know, Katie, that I was hyper destructive when I was young. Look at me now! I am a successful writer. I get to bring to life all the daydreams I imagined as a kid. Dolly is a dreamer just like me. Katie, you should be proud of her, because besides being very, very pretty the girl is very smart and creative."

"Of course I'm proud of my daughter. I love her with all my heart. Just sometimes her energy runs a little long. Now I'm getting pressured from outside because she is being disruptive in class."

"You know what I would do? I would go to class a couple of times to see for yourself. Is she being disrespectful to others, or is she just fading out and forgetting that others are trying to work around her? I can't believe, with as beautiful and kind of a heart that she has, that she is doing anything maliciously. Eventually she'll catch up to herself and be in balance. Not only will she naturally calm down, but she'll learn to deal with it on her own."

"The school suggested that I take her to the doctors."

"And?"

"They say she has ADHD, which stands for Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder. They want her to take medication to calm her down."

"You want to drug my niece. No way! Before you do that try channeling that energy into something positive, and on top of that get out there with her and help her burn some of that excess energy off. Listen up, baby sister, when we were kids we ran around at full speed all the time. When's the last time you took an hour with her and exercised and played like we did as kids?"

"I have work, and now I'm getting pressured. I just don't know what to do."

"I'll tell you what. I have several weeks of vacation built up from the magazine and I can write my novels anywhere. I'm coming out there. I'll be there in two days."

"Really, big brother? Oh, that would be great!"

"Good! Is Dolly home?"

"She's in her room doing homework. Dolly." calls her mom. "Dolly. DOLLY. Ah, she's not answering. Let me go get her." Katie goes to Dolly's room and opens up the door. Instead of doing her homework, Dolly is lying on her bed staring at the ceiling with a smile on her lips and a dreamy look in her eyes. "Dolly!"

Dolly is startled by the sudden intrusion. "Yeah, mom."

"Aren't you supposed to be doing homework?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, mom, I forgot. I'll do it now. I promise."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close