An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 25

He found her in the same garden as last night, sitting on the same bench where they confessed their feelings for each other. The romantic in Ninian thought this to be great. The teenager in him was scared.

Walking up behind her Ninian put his arms around her and nuzzled her neck.

"Sorry, I'm late. Something came up when I was with your father," he apologized.

"That's OK, I haven't been waiting long," Ameilia replied turning around to kiss him, "So what did you meet Daddy about?"

"Well, I asked him if you snore when you sleep because I heard these chainsaw noised coming down the hall..."

"WHAT!" she said laughing and hitting him lightly.

"OK, OK. I told him we loved each other and asked for your hand in marriage."

"What did he say?" she asked in a small voice.

"He said you would have to give up your title to marry me."

"Then I will. I can't think of a life without you Ninian."

"That's good. I told him I was marrying you and not your title, and that we would still get married. He then told me he was testing me, he had to know if I was marrying you for your title or for love.

"He then got up and said he couldn't think of a better husband for you and welcome to the family."

"So I wouldn't have to give up my title?"

"No."

"In that case is there something you want to ask me?" Aemilia asked sweetly.

Ninian got off the bench and knelt next to Aemilia, "Aemilia Domitilla Paulus, you have been one of the bright spots for me since I meet you. You somehow got into my head and into my heart and I don't care. I love you. Will you marry me?"

Aemilia had tears in her eyes when she hugged him and said, "Yes, with all my heart I will."

They hugged, kissed, and talked about what they wanted to do. Ninian dropped the other bombshell, which his leave was being cut short. This limited what they could do and say in the next three weeks. They decided to have the engagement party in six months in the hope that the war would be over or slow down then. The wedding wouldn't be until the war was over.

They got up and went to dinner, holding hands. That night they told her parents and siblings they were engaged and what their plans were. They then called Ninian's family and told them. In the end, it was the happiest night of their lives.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close