An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 21

The sound of his mother's scream brought Óengus and Boadicea from the living room and Galberus from the car. By the time they got there, Ninian's mother woke up and was hugging her son crying. Almost a year had passed since he last saw them, but to him, the few days seemed like another lifetime ago.

He introduced Galberus to his family, noticing the little exchange between him and his sister. Pomponius lived by himself, nearby, but had an emergency call at the regional hospital, when his father called him. He said he would be over in the morning.

It was getting late and the two soldiers had been up since 5am. Neither the little naps nor the time changes helping. All went to bed happy, but tired.


The smell of bacon woke Ninian up from his sleep. The room he slept in was his own, or at least his old one. He knew he would have to move into the Manor, but wanted to put if off as long as possible. He needed his family right now, and staying there would be lonely.

He got up and did his morning rituals, shaving and such, and walked down to the kitchen. Everyone else sat at the table dressed, with Galberus sitting next to his sister. His mother kissed him on the cheek telling him good morning. His father said the same looking up over the paper he held. Ninian sat and started eating.

Ninian's father asked what he had planned for today.

"First stop is the Seneschal, I need to see what he wants and take care of a few things there. Then I need to see a few people," replied Ninian, "Sorry Gal, I not a very good host today, but maybe Boadicea could show you around, if she has nothing else planned of course."

Boadicea frowned, "Work, unfortunately."

"Not really, I've already called them and said we wouldn't be in. I told them my son was home, and would be out a few days," interjected Óengus.

"Thanks, Dad."

About that time, Pomponius walked in through the back door. He glanced at Galberus with a nod, before grabbing Ninian and hugging him. This act surprised Ninian as he and Pomponius had never been close.

"Pomponius, not that I'm not upset, but what brought that on?" asked Ninian.

"I was here when the Army came and told us you were MIA. My first thought was that I was never going to see my brother again. Then I realized we never were close and that hurt worse. When they came back a few days later and told us they had found you and what you had done, I promised myself I wouldn't screw up this second chance to know my brother."

Ninian smiled and hugged his brother, knowing that their relationship would get better. He then introduced him the Galberus. The six of them talked for another hour before Ninian got up and left for the day. His family had warned him that the town was proud of him and he would be stopped on the street.

Ninian started the car and drove to his Manor. The locals just called it The Manor. It didn't have a name like some of the noble's manors, but they took pride in the fact they had one. A short drive to the Manor and Ninian stood in front of the door. He noticed the cameras hidden along the drive on his way up, so he knew the Seneschal knew he was here.

Ninian opened to door and called out just for appearance sake. An older man, about forty or so, came to him and bowed.

"Ser Julius, I am Seneschal F. Phoibos Tryphon. It is good to have you home."

"Seneschal Tryphon, thank you. I have come as you asked."

"Yes there is a few things we need to go over, some things are important, the rest are to get The Manor ready for you."

"Please, lead me to your office and we can work all of it out."

"This way please sir," said Tryphon tuning and walking.

Ninian followed, looking in the rooms as he went. The furniture was covered in sheets, along with any artwork and sculptures. Wood paneling covered the walls of the rooms and hallway, showing no signs of distress, only loving care.

The office the Seneschal showed Ninian had filing cabinets and a good-sized desk. Tryphon mentioned towards a seat, asking if Ninian would like anything to drink.

Ninian said no and they began to go over what they needed to. The first item, a will. Ninian now controlled a good sum of money along with a title and lands. If something should happen to him who would take over. Ninian thought of Pomponius first, but their relationship was still too new. His parents were an option, but it would mean his father would have to quit his job. Ninian knew he liked it too much.

Boadicea would be perfect. She liked her job, but not that much. She wanted to be in charge of a big company but lacked the means to do so. Ninian made his choice; it would go to Boadicea pending Imperial approval.

The only other item was getting the Manor ready for him to move into. Ninian told him he wanted the Manor cleaned first and any repairs to be done first.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close