An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 15

It became merchant business as usual for Mamercus. Since leaving the Palace, he has felt eyes on him. It has curbed his spying somewhat, but not enough to go back home. He is slowly getting contacts, the population is afraid to speak ill of the King. There are uttering of a resistance movement, but so far, Mamercus has not been able to contact them.

He still sent reports; they again hid in letters to supposed family in Arabia. The difference being they were hand written to Arabia, then sent to Rome via Internet. Communication had not come out this far unless you were the King. His "family" also sold communication systems, and he tried to get them sold to the government, but of course, they were weary of new people.

Mamercus just kept going on.


"Did you get a chance to talk to her?" asked Domitus.

"Yes, it was all she talked about," replied Aeila, his wife, "I think she has at least a crush on him, but won't come out and say it."

She paused for a few moments, "Should we let these feeling run their course?"

"I got a chance to talk with him before the ceremony. He is a passionate young man. I had his file pulled when I heard of him. Every one of his Instructors said he lead by example. In basic, he was personally responsible for his Cont. being in the top ten percent of those that graduated. You know before the ceremony, the person get investigated to make sure nothing embarrasses them or us?"

Aeila nods.

"Well, he comes from a good family. His father is a banker and his mother is a nurse. He had two older siblings, one brother the oldest, the other a sister. The brother is a doctor and the sister works with her father at the bank.

"Yes, let the feeling run their course. If they fall in love, she could do worse."


Ninian arrives at Castrum Monticellorum, over 17pu northeast of Rome. It is the home of the Military Command Center, where all orders originate for the military. It is also the home for those Imperial Legions stationed in or around Rome. The Castrum is so immense that it takes over an entire suburb of Rome.

The MCC itself is a hexagon, divided up into six areas. Each area houses the necessary personnel and the Parat Agrum for each branch of military. The cab ride only took about 40 minutes, bringing Ninian to the Visitor's entrance.

Upon entering, the Visitor's Entrance Ninian sees a desk with a civilian woman staffing it. Along the walls are two guards, both NCO's with SR-9P, the personal defense versions of the Spatha rifle. They came to attention upon seeing Ninian, his rank clearly visible on his Class C uniform, the Service uniform of the Roman military. Unless out in the field, nine time out of ten this was the uniform worn.

Unlike his old one, his rank is on shoulder boards. He now has one ribbon for his fruit salad, and he now has the Exercitus specialist symbol on his lapel.

"As you were," Ninian said addressing the two guards.

"Good Morning Nav. How may I help you?" asked the woman.

"Good Morning. I'm, Ser Nav. Julius, here to see Parat Agrum Philon."

"Yes Ser Julius. Can I see some ID, and is he expecting you?"

Getting out his ID card, Ninian replied, "Yes he is expecting me."

"Just a second sir," she said looking for Ninian's name.

"Here you are sir. Just let me call his Secretary to let them know your here and get you an escort. Then I'll get your visitor's badge."

It only took a few moments to make the call, and a little longer for the badge.

"This badge must be worn at all times. Being found without one will get you shot first, asked questions later. And I am not kidding. Your escort should be here momentarily if you would have a seat."

"Thank you ma'am."

Ninian sat in the chairs waiting for his escort. Before leaving the ball last night, Ninian and the Principis had exchanged e-mail addresses. He knew he had a crush on her, maybe more.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close