An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 14

Six sets of eyes stared at Ninian. He still wore his Class B, but now he wore the blue sash draped over his right shoulder with it, shoulder boards with his new rank, and Spatha sword. The necklace with the Order of Flamma star hung around his neck. This star shone in coppery bronze as well. The sword hung from his belt, with the sash underneath.

Ninian turned in the room, taking in all that it showed. Four sets of those eyes belonged to Caesar's past. Each one a bust of the Imperator and painted to look life like. This room held the last four before Caesar Domitus: Caesars Vespasian II, Titus II, Galla II, and Otho II. The door with the two sets of living eyes led to the ball and banquet. The door directly across from it led to the outside.

The door guards nodded to Ninian, signaling the doors were about to open. Ninian took his place and waited.

The doors opened, and Ninian heard his new full name being announced, "Ser Navarchus Ninian Julius Brian."

Ninian walked into the courtyard, his left hand on his Spatha keeping it from hitting him, to the applause from the people already there. As the guest of honor, he was the last to arrive, besides the Imperial Family. He walked around, greeting people, feeling like he could not breathe. Flashes of making a fool of himself tumbled through his head as people stopped him to make small talk, to gauge this newest entrant into high society.

Those that talked with him found him to be articulate and charming, qualities they all had. Nevertheless, there was something underneath the surface, an honesty that many here lacked. In the upper echelons of high society, those of the Senatorial class, backstabbing and betrayal became a way of life, and a tradition to boot, has been for as long as there has been Rome.

If they could only see what Ninian was going through inside, they would see the scared "country bumpkin" they all expected. Ninian was trying his hardest not to show that part of him. In between talking to the various people, Ninian took in the area he walked into. It was a courtyard with a large octagonal fountain in the center. Columns supported a covered walkway all the way around the fountain. Marble of different colors covered everything. Reds, purples, whites, grays, and blacks of all shades, making the courtyard look splendid.

Ninian noticed a curtain hanging on one side of the courtyard, with two Praetorian Guards on either side. Ninian guessed that side of the Palace contained the Residences of the Imperial Family. The Seneschal who announced Ninian stood near the curtain, waiting for the Imperial Family. It did not take long before the horns sounded announcing the Imperial Family.

"Her Imperial Highness, Princess Coelia Domitilla Paulus," announced the Seneschal.

The curtain parted and in walked a girl of about eight years old. No one bowed, etiquette said to wait for the entire Imperial Family and bow to them at the same time. Her black hair gathered in curls and strands of pearls woven in. Her sky blue dress, while regal, looked perfect on her. She walked over to the side and stood waiting.

"Her Imperial Highness, Regula Domitilla Paulus."

Again, the curtains parted and in walked another girl. She was older then her sister, at twelve and had Auburn hair instead of black. Her very light green dress made her a little older then her age. Her hair topped her head with ornate hairpins it looked like to Ninian. She walked over to her sister.

"Her Imperial Highness, Principis Iuventutis Aemilia Domitilla Paulus."

A vision of beauty to Ninian's eyes walked in. She looked to be fifteen years old and had auburn hair like her younger sister. A darker shade of green colored her dress. Her hair cascaded down her back, curly and shiny with a small silver loop upon her brow. She also walked over to her sisters.

"Her Imperial Majesty, Aelia Domitilla Paulus."

The saying goes if you want to know what a girl will look like when she is older, look at her mother. In this case, the mother was just as beautiful. She too had auburn hair hanging down her back. But unlike her eldest daughter, she had it braided with strands of pearls woven in. Upon her brow sat a silver Laurel Crown. She only took a few steps to the side.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close