An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 4

Ninian was glad. Basic Training was almost over and soon he would be away from the hell that he and the rest of his Centuria has called Basic Training. In the last eleven weeks, the Instructors had selected Ninian as a Contuberium leader for the Centuria. He was responsible for the ten teens in his Cont., keeping them going when they wanted to lay down, keeping them out of trouble and helping them pass the physical and academic tests.

Brennus, or as he was re named Smart Mouth or Mouth for short, came back to the Centuria on the third day. He had his mouth wired shut and his ribs bruised. He was given a type of shake for the week, after that the Cont. one Kitchen Duty made him a protein shake for each meal. By a stroke of bad luck, his bunk put him in Ninian's Cont. He caused problems not just for Ninian and the Cont. but also for the Centuria. In Gladius training, for example, every day he did something wrong and the Instructors called him on it. Usually it was improper handling of his weapon. The punishments started with just him individually, but soon included the Cont. and the rest of the Centuria. It took some time, but Ninian got Mouth up to the point where he made fewer mistakes. That is what got him named one of the Cont. leaders.

Now they Ninian and the rest of the Centuria were in their final exam week, the Grinder. Four days of exercises incorporating all they have been taught. At the beginning Ninian was given four FAM's and was told to make them last. The exercises he found were taxing both physically as well as mentally. On this last night, he and the rest of the Centuria, along with the rest of the teens, are on a night exercise. First is the Obstacle Course, it is the first time any of the teens have run it at night. Once Ninian's Cont. gets all through, they then make their way through an assault course using only hand-to-hand combat. Finally, they have the firing range. Here they must score a combined score that allows them to pass.

At each stage, Ninian keeps back a little to encourage his Cont. to move forward, to keep going. At other times, he is right out in front, leading by example. When they are done, the Instructors tell Ninian to get some rest; they were going to march back to the barracks soon.

Fedlimid, Iodocus, and two other teens, Genovefa Matia Felixa and Imhotep Atticus Homerus, sat together. Genovefa had curly red hair, freckles, and the temper that comes with them. At over five ps in height and 178lba, she was slim and had a hint of a tan. Imhotep had the darkest skin in the Centuria as his mother came from Aegyptus. He began training overweight at 209lba, but since then he has shed the weight and is now down to 192lba on an almost 6 ps body. He told Ninian and the rest that he was an only child. His family while not rich was well off.

"Everyone else as tired as I am?" Ninian asked.

"Yes we all are. Thank the Gods that it is almost over, just a march back to barracks and a week to recover," answered Imhotep.

"If you say so. We still have Advanced Training to do. I'm told that it is tougher than this," said Matia.

"Damn, I forgot about that."

Fedlimid piped up with, "Fuck, Mouth is coming over here."

Ninian stood up, waiting for Mouth to arrive.

"Julius, I realize that I never thanked you for helping me out. If you had not done that I would have been sent back to the next training group. When we get back to the barracks I am going to apologize to the Centuria for putting them through everything."

"I did nothing. You did everything. If you get through your Imperial Service without getting your team members killed, that is thanks enough."

Mouth just nodded his head and turned around. Before Ninian could turn back to his friends, shouts to form up in marching formation came down the line. Ninian reluctantly followed Mouth back to his Cont. to get them ready.


Two days back in the barracks and the only physical training Ninian has done is the daily PT. The rest of the time, he has been getting all of his gear cleaned, repaired or replaced. He also used his time to get a final fitting for his semi-formal uniform. True to his word, Mouth got up in front of everyone and apologized for his actions when they got back from the Grinder.

"Ten-hut, fall in by Cont.," yelled Optio Apollinarius, "I have here your orders. Some of you will be going to the Naval Advanced Training, some to Air Advanced Training; the rest will be going to Ground Advanced Training. Wherever you end up, I wish you the luck of the Gods. As I call your name come up and get your orders."

One by one, their names were called, each being given a brown envelope. Breaking the seal, Ninian drew out the pieces of paper that had his orders. It said that he would be going to the Ground Advanced Training base at Castrum Eburacum. He would be going for Exercitus Training. He was to report there no later than one week after leaving Basic Training.

"Well, what did the rest of you get?" Ninian asked his friends.

"Exercitus," they all replied.

"Mine says Exercitus, but it also says that I'm going to go through Sniper school. I guess that means I'm going to be a Designated Marksman," says Iodocus.

Imhotep mentions, "Mine says that same, except it is Sapper school instead of Sniper. I'll be blowing shit up."

"I got Exercitus as well. What's everyone doing for their leave?" inquired Ninian.

For the rest of the day they talked what they were going to do when they got home.


Ninian enjoyed his few days home. His family could see that he had changed, he was surer of himself. When his mother commented on it he told them that being responsible for ten men and women did that too him.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close