An Empire's War - Cover

An Empire's War

Copyright© 2012 by James Douglas

Chapter 3

Z. Valerius Apollinarius smiled as he quietly walked into the barracks. Rumors began circulating around the Empire saying that a war was brewing between the new Kingdom of Islam and Rome. He knew that this new batch of Legionnaires had a very good chance that they would be in the thick of action.

For the last four years, he has trained the next generation of Legionnaires, teaching them what they need to know to survive in battle. In his two decades of service, he has been in one war, many border clashes, and did a stint in the Special Forces Legion. Now two years from retirement this class was the last he would teach. After this he was to be transferred to an Auxilia Legion for one year, then he would be transferred to the Provincial capital, Londinium as part of the General Staff as the Senior Non-commissioned officer in the Province.

The other Instructors line up to his left and right waiting for 0500, when all hell would break loose getting the confused and sleep deprived teens out of bed.

Valerius took his lighter in one hand and a string of firecrackers in the other. Looking left and right the other Instructors did the same thing. The firecrackers had a ten-second fuse, just long enough to light them and toss them on the floor. Valerius whispered to the Instructors to light the fuses. They were waiting for this signal.


The noise of what sounded like five machine guns going off woke Ninian and the rest of the Century up. Those sleeping on the top bunk, like Ninian, would have fallen off if there were not a rail keeping them there. Once the noise of the firecrackers stopped, the yelling started.

"On your feet," yelled all of the Instructors, as they pulled some teens to the edge of the bunks, one on each end.

Last night Ninian and Fedlimid took the same bunk, Iodocus took the next one. Being the gentleman that his parents raised, he took the top, giving Fedlimid the bottom.

"Listen up, Shitheads," announced Optio Apollinarius, "you have 30 minutes to get ready for PT. That would be the Red Under-Tunics, Black Shorts and sneakers. Just remember you guys need to be clean-shaven. Get going."

Ninian got his PT gear out and changed. He figured that he would shower later on tonight when he had the chance. He also got out his shaving kit, which he was not willing to delay until later. He went to the Lavatory and did his thing, finishing five minutes before it was time.

Mag. Theophyliktos walked in to the barracks as everyone was finishing and said, "All right Shitheads, get out here. Move it, move it."

Everyone ran for the door. Bright lights, like those used in stadiums, bathed the large field in the pre-dawn morning. The field, which his barracks and four others shared, glistened with the morning dew. All over the field, Instructors were yelling at the teens to line up and to spread out. Soon five-hundred teens and twenty-five Instructors began working out. What followed was 20 minutes of bending, twisting, squatting, jumping, pushing and pulling. The last ten minutes of PT was a run around to walkway around the field.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close