Do Not Despise
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2012 by Robert McKay

Everyone was quiet. I found my tongue first, and said, "Say what?" It wasn't a profound remark, but I gave up on being profound a long time ago.

"I know how to deal with the problem," Letty said, her face animated with her happy excitement. "Laura's mother obviously doesn't want her, and ... well, I don't know all the details, but Laura needs someone. I'll adopt her."

I looked at Cecelia, who looked back at me. Darlia interrupted whatever we might have figured out to say. "That's a great idea, Miss Letty!" She sometimes still calls her that, though Letty's been our friend for three years. "Laura needs a mom, and you're all by yourself in that humongous house."

"Darlia!" Cecelia will always be able to react to English she doesn't approve of, now matter how much something has surprised her into silence. "There are many adjectives much preferable to the one you employed."

"Yeah, Mom, I know, but I like that one."

I grinned. "C, your daughter's got a mind of her own."

She smiled back. "And she's growing old enough to speak it, too." She looked at Letty. "I perceive that you are serious. Have you, though, considered the ramifications of adopting a child – and in particular, this child?"

"I don't know all the ramifications," Letty said, "so I can't consider them. But I'm not a doofus, and I know what I want. And what I want is this wonderful child for my daughter."

"She is indeed quite wonderful – or so I conclude from a very brief acquaintance. But she is also a child who has suffered tremendous hurt, who will assuredly require considerable psychological counseling, and who is quite likely to be difficult to handle in consequence of her horrible experiences. I do not doubt, my dear friend—" it seemed that Cecelia was freer with endearments all around since I'd scared her so badly back in January "—that you would make a marvelous mother, nor do I question whether Laura will, some day, be a daughter of whom a mother could be proud. But are you suited to be the mother of this particular child?"

Letty chewed on her lip, and I couldn't blame her. Now that the idea of adoption was on the table I could feel its attraction myself, though in reality I wasn't in the market for another child, not having gone so long with just Darlia. And I suspected that Cecelia would be pretty much of the same mind. But no matter who wound up raising Laura, it would be a difficult task, requiring enormous love and patience and mental toughness.

And then the subject of the debate put her oar in. Darlia said into the silence, "Dad, Mom, Letty – Laura wants to say something. But you've got to all be quiet, 'cause she's scared."

So we were all quiet, and looked at the dark-haired girl who was, just now, literally leaning on Darlia. "I want to live with Letty," she said, so softly that I could hardly hear her.

I took in a lot of air, and let it back out. "I ain't a judge, nor yet a lawyer – I ain't even a cop anymore. But I'm the closest thing there is around here to any of those. I'm the next best thing here to someone who knows the law and how to use the law for Laura's benefit. I know what I'd rule if I were judging this case." Once again I could hear my English improving, without conscious effort, as I engaged in serious stuff. "If you don't want to hear my opinion, I'll keep it to myself. But if you do, I'm ready to tell you."

Cecelia actually put it to a vote – which surprised me to death, knowing her decisiveness as I do. "Please indicate," she said, looking around the table, "what your choice is: Do you wish to hear Darvin's judgment, or quash it?"

Darlia, to her left, spoke as solemnly as I've ever seen her speak – and she's imperial in her dignity. "I want to hear it."

Letty said, "I do too."

Cecelia looked at me, and around the table. "I also wish to hear what Darvin has to say. But I shan't allow it until we have heard from the person with the largest stake in this affair. Laura, my dear girl, do you want to hear what Darvin thinks?"

"I want to live with Letty ... but Darvin has a lot to say about that, I think." She looked at me, and spoke out more strongly than I'd yet heard. "Tell us, Darvin."

Cecelia took my hand. "I surmise that I know what you're going to say, but the floor is yours."

"I don't need the floor, just a chair to set in." My English was back to normal, it seemed. "I say let Letty adopt her, an' if necessary I'll put my money behind that. An' I got enough to pay for a few good lawyers." The grin that came upon my face didn't feel entirely nice – if I'd been opposing the idea, I suspected I'd find that grin just a bit intimidating.

"Then we have, if not a plan, at least the broad outline of one. Letty, I counsel you to continue to think through the difficulties you will face if you should become Laura's mother – but it will not merely be Darvin's money behind you should you require support. In our family there is his money, my money, and our money. It comes to a rather comfortable sum, when I total it up. We are, individually, multi-millionaires, albeit it on a small scale; together, we are perhaps among the richest families between Tramway and the river. We can afford to pay your legal fees, if such there be – and if necessary, we will do exactly that." She looked at Laura, then back at Letty. "Today is Thursday, and it is too late to call now. Tomorrow morning you will call our attorney – he does not specialize in adoptions, but he will know someone trustworthy who does. You will obtain that phone number, and call that attorney, and before the day is out he will, upon your instructions, file the necessary papers to begin the process of joining you and Laura in one family."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close