Murder at Quantico - Cover

Murder at Quantico

Copyright© 2012 by normist

Chapter 3: The Trip North

We did not have to wait long for a train and once we had made ourselves comfortable, I said, "I hope you remembered your hand gun."

She smirked in answer.

"Here is your ammunition." I said handing her one of the two boxes I had. "You have to account for all rounds spent. And here," handing her a small leather folder, "are your credentials. As of now you are a Special Investigator of the New England Bureau of Investigation."

"And I have something for you!" Sarah said. "While Josh was decoding that letter, I was scanning the minds around us looking for someone who knew what Frederick looked like." She delved into her bag and withdrew her sketch book. Pulling out a page, she said. "Here's your copy!" I noticed the now almost-obligatory pair of horns.

"I had to do something to show he was one of the bad guys; didn't I?"

Was Sarah reading my mind?

A couple of hours later, we were pulling into Washington. When we reached a stop at the L'Enfant Plaza station, there were staff walking up and down the station, calling out, "Message for Sir Robert MacLeod!"

The message was, 'would I please wait?' A few minutes after our train had pulled out, another backed into the station. The conductor invited us to board the single carriage. He informed us that this 'Director's train' had been put at our disposal and it could take us non-stop to Toronto.

The train accelerated to what felt like an impossible speed. It didn't help when coffee was served by the half-cupful, and it still came close to spilling. In view of this speed the usual standard of food was not served. We kept to sandwiches, but they were outstanding. Even so, it was difficult to eat and keep the food down. I swear, I thought a couple of times we were going off the rails on a bend.

It was early evening and we had crossed the border from New York Region into the Ontario Region at Niagara Falls about fifty minutes before. We passed through Saukville and shortly after, Sarah seemed to withdraw into herself.

"We've passed him." she said, "He must have got off his train at that station we just passed through."

Don't worry! He'll not get far."

We've lost him then! He can meet Henryk anywhere." added Sarah.

"No!" I said. "The New England Mounted Police are keeping an eye on all Polish nationals and anyone else who might conceivably be a Polish agent. Frederyk may be free to meet Henryk, but Henryk is not free to meet Frederyk!

Fifteen minutes later we were pulling into Toronto!

There was an officer of the Royal New England Mounted Police; (a 'Mountie') waiting for us on the station who conducted us to his headquarters. There we were taken to the office of Inspector Matthews. When we told him Frederyk had got off the train at Oakville he said, "Well, he won't be meeting Henryk! We have a positive identification for Henryk. For some time we have been able to copy his correspondence. Unfortunately, it's all in code which, so far, has us beaten."

Reaching into my bag, I replied "I think we may be able to help there. We discovered Frederyk had burnt his messages, but one of them survived the fire. We also discovered his badly burnt enciphering device. Better still, we discovered another device which he had either lost or discarded. Here it is! You can make copies."

"Thank you! I'll get our 'Q' Branch onto it right away. I'm surprised! It looks so simple!"

"It is," I said. "The only real choice is whether you code by going from the inner ring to the outer or vice versa. With only one message we couldn't check if they changed direction. We tried with two groups in both directions and chose by the context. One way was almost readable, the other wasn't. When will you pick up Henryk?"

"The current thought is that we leave him in place. Being able to read his correspondence, it's a case of better the devil you know... !"

"Yes, but we still need to chase and apprehend our target, Frederyk."

"We will get on with decoding all the messages we have of Henryk's. They should give us an idea of how he runs his spy routes, both in and out. It may give you a clue as how Frederyk will behave. You're booked into the hotel just round the corner. As soon as we've dealt with all these messages, we'll let know. Until then enjoy yourselves. We'll be in touch!"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close