Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate - Cover

Little Girls of Wonder - A Squire Named Kate

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 1

All the young boys are excited. Today is known as the Choosing Day. Knights from all over the kingdom of Lavender are coming to the capital city of Pubbabear to choose the young lad that will squire for them for many years to come.

It is a decision that affects all involved. Not only does the young lad get the opportunity to become a warrior from one of the greatest warriors in the magical land, but also it is an important choosing for the knight, because he will have another to care for. If you choose wrong, many days can be harder than they must.

As every hour passes another grand knight comes riding in on a most spectacular steed. All the knights are dressed in magnificent ceremonial armor.

At last the hopeful squires are gathered. The celebrated knights are standing before them looking tall and powerful. Finally the most powerful knight in all the land comes riding in. He is on his pure white warhorse called Ghost.

All the hopeful squires marvel at his grandeur. All the other knights bow their heads in respect. In this land you get what you give. Because of that, the greatest knight in all the magical land returns their bows with a smile of genuine pleasure and honor. He is pleased to be amongst so grand a gathering of people.

Since the grandest knight in the land of Lavender showed up last, he will have to choose last from the gaggle of boys who wish to be squires. Slowly the numbers get smaller and smaller until at last it comes time for the greatest knight in all the land of Lavender to choose his squire. A host of fifteen boys vie for the attention of the last knight to choose a squire this day. They are standing excitedly out in the street.

The great knight looks them over one by one. He is deciding whom he will bring into his sphere of greatness. At last he comes to the end of the hopefuls and he still cannot find that quality that he is seeking. It is true that to judge a book by its cover means you are going to miss out on some truly adventurous stories, but often times signs can be seen deep within the eyes.

The great knight sighs. Then he looks down a dirty and dingy alleyway just behind the last hopeful. He sees a little girl of about eight-years-old. She is wearing a torn and tattered ankle length gray dress. She is digging through piles of trash looking for something to eat or sell so that she may live another day.

The brown-haired brown-eyed knight points, and then in a loud boisterous voice he yells out "I choose her as my squire."

Everybody, from knights to hopeful squires to the leaders of the community, turn to see what he sees. The mayor of the city comes over and says, "Sire, she is just an urchin orphan girl not worthy to serve one such as yourself."

"I am the one who decides who is and who is not worthy to fly under my banner."

"Sire, please! Besides being a girl she is digging through trash."

"Exactly! She is doing whatever it takes to survive, and that is the quality I would wish my squire to possess."

At last the cute blonde-haired blue-eyed girl realizes they are looking at and talking about her. She gets a scared look on her face and starts backing up, as she is getting ready to run away.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close