Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a - Cover

Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

Chapter 35

It was a quiet night and we started early the next morning. Bennie wanted a defense in depth with wide coverage. He was concerned about the dogs returning and wanted to be ready and able to keep any interruptions from our observers, particularly since Carolyn was not very mobile.

The observers, Ann and Carolyn, were at the ridgeline with Laura and me. Laura was there to take notes but I was there to shoot animals as necessary. Back about twenty feet were Bennie, Kevin, and Amos. The rest were spread out in a semi-circle. Everyone but Carolyn, Ann and Laura were well armed.

We were ready for trouble today. Naturally, nothing happened. While Ann and Carolyn fed information to Laura, they took some notes themselves. Late that afternoon, Ann said she had had enough for the day. We notified everyone that we were ready to head in for the day, eat supper, and rest up for another day of waiting.

Over supper, Ann said that nothing had occurred to change her mind about letting the valley people and animals remain undisturbed. She felt that they knew they were being watched but, since we had caused no trouble, they gradually let their guard down. Laura noted that, twice, we had been sniffed by one of the boys. Can, she thought, was the one. All in all, it was quiet and Ann had decided one more day would finish things for the time being.

She said, "There just isn't much to see. The deer, the rabbits, and the people just don't interact much. The situation is more like co-existence. It could be three species of animals. I would like to watch a reaction to an external stimulus but I suspect it will be animal-like rather human."

I said, "We went in there when Bennie and I discovered the valley. We went up to them and talked but there was zero recognition. That's when we found out one boy's name was Can. After a bit, he caught on to our names but had trouble with the second syllable. Nothing they said sounded like a language but was more like grunts and growls. His name was even guttural sounding."

Ann said, "I want to try one more time for a contact. I have some picture books for babies with me that I would use."

Bennie said, "I don't like it but I will permit you and Janice to go in and try provided Janice is armed. I will be on the ridge with my rifle. If anything tries anything, they'll die and you two will get out. I will not risk people in this matter. By the way," he looked at Ann, "Jack is in complete agreement with me."

Ann grinned sort of lopsidedly at him and said, "I would have preferred to go in alone but Jack said that he wouldn't allow it, didn't he?"

"Correct." Bennie said, "It looks to me that this was a good try but that they should be left alone. I did some reading and the books are not promising about 'taming' people who are raised wild. I think these folk lost all human contact before they even knew they were human. I don't want to hurt them but they will not hurt us."

No one spoke. There was a time to argue with Bennie but this subject was closed. I didn't blame him because I agreed. Knowing what we would be doing in the morning, I checked my automatic rifle while Bennie checked his sniper rifle. He didn't use it often but he never missed and his shots tomorrow would be close for him. Laura would be his backup while Kevin and Amos had their backs.

Mitch went with us this morning sensing that we would probably return home tomorrow. He was curious about reactions. Ann and I entered the valley by rappelling down from the ridge where we had observed. I went first to set a circle and Ann came down. She had a pistol but was, at best, a fair shot. She did have two picture books.

We approached the children. I was hard for me to think of them any other way despite the pregnancy of the girls. I stayed behind Ann a good ten feet and to one side to keep from interfering with Bennie's line of fire. I hoped he didn't have to shoot but knew he was as ready as I. Ann approached Can and sat down before him cross-legged. She opened the picture book and began to show him pictures speaking in a low voice. He seemed to look at the pictures but didn't seem to recognize anything or understand what she was saying. She came to the end of it and closed it. He turned away with no further interest. She didn't open the other one. She stood slowly and shrugged. As she walked close to me, she said, "Bennie's right, darn it. They don't know they're human or sense the difference between us. I don't think he sees me as his species even. Let's go back and get up and safe." We made the climb without incident and not one of the animals gave us a look.

When I reached the top, Bennie's hand pulled mine along with the rest of my body up and gave me a hug. He said, "That completes the mission here. We go home tomorrow."

I could tell Ann wanted to say something but reconsidered. Bennie said, "Ann, please work with Carolyn and Laura to prepare your notes into a report. I would like to read it tonight. It should include your recommendations."

When we got back to the house, she went into a room with Carolyn and Laura and they began to work on a report. Bennie and I started packing slowly. He said, "You know, let's go spend the rest of the day at the lake. The report can wait and we could all use some fun time." I kissed his cheek and went to tell the others. In five minutes, we were on the way to a marina where Mitch had some boats for community use.

He met us there with some others and said, "I thought you might decide to have some fun. We're going to have a cookout here for supper." We all smiled at that.

Ann, Laura, Carolyn, and I went into the ladies area to change. Ann and Carolyn had normal bikinis. Amos' wife had one that was cut a little fuller. Laura and I changed into thong string bikinis, which showed a lot of skin. Ann and the rest whistled. Ann said, "Laura, I don't think you're old enough to do what that suit suggests."

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close