Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

At Cincinnati, we crossed into Kentucky following I-75 across the river and moving pretty much south. We came to Boone County and Bennie expressed an interest in seeing something having to do with Daniel Boone. I gave him my best withering look and suggested that we really didn't need to make this trip longer than it already was.

We celebrated the first of September at the point where I-71 peeled off to the southwest. We continued to follow I-75. This point was in the vicinity of Walton and we stopped for a couple of days to rest and scavenge for more supplies. We had been teaching Laura to shoot and she was becoming quite a hunter. She had quickly learned to be quiet in the woods and enjoyed being our hunter most of the time.

We always watched the sky hoping to see signs of smoke. Just as we were starting out from Walton, we smelled and saw smoke. Bennie had a worried look and said, "This is not a normal camp fire. This is a real fire and could be dangerous. We will be very careful because, if my suspicions are correct, it's an out of control forest fire. It's coming this way and Walton will burn pretty well. Let's get on the road and ride back north a bit. I want to use the binoculars to determine as much information as possible about this."

There was a light wind blowing from the northeast. We traveled about two miles north on the Interstate to a high ridge. We tied the horses and climbed to the highest point with our binoculars at hand. Using them, we could see what looked like the northernmost point of the burnt area. It was in an industrial area outside of Walton. We saw no people anywhere.

Bennie said, "We have two choices in my mind. We can go investigate the starting point of the fire or we can just head south figuring it will pass behind us as it heads more west and we head more south. What do you think?"

Laura jumped in with, "We ought to check it out. We will beat winter and that fire was set! It didn't just start." She stopped and looked at us. "Well, it didn't!"

I let Bennie handle this one. "I don't intend for it to go unobserved. It's just that you won't like your part in the process."

"And, what's that? Am I to be bait?"

Bennie chuckled and said, "I wouldn't put it quite that crassly but it will be easier for me to sneak up on them if you are out there and visible. Janice will cover your rear and I will get around in front of you. Anyone there will be looking at you and not us. You'll have the pack horses, too."

"You'll carry a rifle across your lap to look like you're ready. Laura, you just don't have the wood skills, yet. We would not be comfortable leaving you somewhere while we check things out."

Bennie said, "Actually, the fire's the bait. You're playing the part of a fish enticed by the bait. Your job is to try not to get hooked but let us see the fishers."

"Okay, I'll do it. If I do get hooked, do something unpleasant to the fisherman."

It took only a few minutes more to set the packhorses in a train. We pulled a rifle out for her that was more powerful than what she had been carrying. Bennie described the track he wanted her to take and where he would be.

I followed behind her a hundred yards or more and we kept up with each other with the radios. Bennie came on and said, "I'm around in front where the fire started. I see a group of eight or ten. They aren't hiding but aren't out where they are too visible. Keep on coming. I am a little to your right."

We continued on. I said, "Bennie, I'm going to ride with Laura unless you have an objection."

"No. Go ahead. So far, they don't look bad. There is a mixture of men and women. They see Laura. Speak up for her to wait."

I spoke loudly but didn't holler, "Laura, wait up." She slowed to let me catch up. As I came up beside her, two men stepped out of the trees in front of us and a bit to our left.

One looked at us and then looked back and yelled, "Marsha, it's two ladies. Come on up!"

Bennie's voice came on in my ear. "Things are looking good. There aren't any traps or hidden people so far. I can see where their women are along with a few other men and they don't look mistreated or like captives. Talk to them."

The two men were armed but their guns were slung under their arms in an easy manner. A mid thirties woman came up behind them saying, "Steve, what's happening?" Looking at us, she said, "Oh! Hello. I'm Marsha. That's Steve, my husband, and our friend, Kevin."

I said, "I'm Janice. This is my friend, Laura. My husband, Bennie is around somewhere. He should be here in a few minutes. We've been exploring and are headed home to Preservation in Georgia. We saw your fire and decided to check it out. Laura was right. It wasn't a natural fire, you set it."

"Yes," Steve said, "We were hoping to get some attention but we over-did it. Fortunately, Walton didn't have much in it that would be useful left."

Marsha said, "I told them that the wind might catch it if they weren't careful. How big is Preservation? I don't know much about Georgia but don't know of a big town by that name and Preservation must be big to send an exploration party."

Bennie's voice came through, "She's quick. Be careful though, so far, I like them."

Since they were all on foot, I dismounted to make talking easier. I handed the reins to Laura who remained mounted and listening. Bennie jumped in to say, "That's good, Janice. Laura, remain mounted. If something bad happens, leave the packhorses and Janice's mount and run for it. I have you covered. Janice and I can easily handle three or so."

I came forward and stood with Steve and Marsha to talk. Kevin stood a little bit to the side so he had a clear view of Laura. He was a teenager, too. His look was of interest but not like a predator. I knew Bennie had him under watch along with every other thing around.

"Yes," I said, "Preservation is large, over three hundred. We are farmers and do some manufacturing. We do not go after people but do allow those who subscribe to our simple system of living to join us if they wish. We have fought off two predator groups from the Carolinas lately."

Steve said, "You have manufacturing?" There was awe in his voice.

I responded, "Yes, we have electricity from small generating stations and use that in our daily living and to work in some manufacturing enterprises. A number of the founders were farmers but a number were also engineers who, early on, saw what issues would develop and planned solutions. We have power. With power come many other benefits. We don't use gas or diesel in our farming but have the means to contact each other, which gives us an advantage if attacked."

Marsha said, "Could we join with you?"

"Probably, our leadership would interview you. Even if you don't, you could move into an adjoining area. We are not difficult to be around. We have found that good rubs off in a positive way. Some who didn't want to join at first did later because of the many advantages and few disadvantages. We are strict about equality. Our governing council is both men and women who are elected."

"That sounds good, almost too good. It makes me think there's a catch."

"No more than living in any community. Our leadership, a man and wife, who are my foster parents, want people to be treated fairly and everyone to work and be rewarded for their work. How many people are in your group, Steve?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close