Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

I noticed that Bennie didn't call Jim to discuss it nor did he bring it up when the round robin on the radio that evening asked for ideas. I knew my husband. He was thinking about it and didn't want to ask Jim for permission that would probably be withheld. He would decide. I thought about it and decided that we could do it though there was a risk of capture because we would have to be close to be sure we were successful.

The next morning over breakfast, Bennie asked Tim, "Is there anyone who you trust?"

He thought for a few minutes and said, "I'm really not sure. There's a couple of guys who I know aren't happy but I don't know what they really want to do or whether they would risk themselves for me or even for their freedom."

"Okay, it's up to us. Tim, are you a good shot?"

"Fair. I'm no sniper but can usually hit what I aim at somewhere. I'll do whatever I can to help you if it will try to end the Penn's rule. There are a lot of dead and maimed people because of Don, Anne, and Carl."

"Okay," Bennie said, "here's how we'll do it. I'll hang back with my sighted rifle. Janice, you and Tim will go in close. Janice will use her bow to start. Tim, you'll back her up and I will take shots as the situation demands. You two go in direct from here and I'll circle around to find a different spot. Tim, don't shoot unless Janice tells you to shoot or if she goes down.

"We'll wait until night to start."

Bennie and I had talked through this before but had never done it. Being a sniper was tough as you shot someone from ambush who might or might not be coming at you or yours. I mentally shrugged and moved out with Tim behind me. We moved slowly to give Bennie time to work his way around and get into position. I was closing on my chosen spot when motors began to crank. I went to ground looking around. I was afraid that we had stumbled upon someone and set off an alarm. I quickly realized they were starting a night attack. We were out of position to really affect it other than to warn Jim. I had an arrow ready but no shot at anyone. The Penn's were all in their vehicles making a shot not a good idea. I heard Bennie calling to Jim to tell him what was happening. I had an arrow ready just in case a target presented itself to me.

Seconds later, the Penn's moved out heading to Georgia on the Interstate. This was a real assault with all of their strength. Jim was getting an earful from Bennie. He then turned to his assistants and began to arrange his people for defense. I heard Bennie say, "Switch."

I changed frequencies to another simplex choice that we used for just us. I said, "Ready."

Bennie came on saying, "Let's follow them carefully to be sure they do what it looks like they're doing and pick off any stragglers."

I said, "Roger." I then told Tim to follow me and stay low. I moved out to the edge of the right-of-way heading in the direction of the Penn's.

We did not run but walked quickly. Tim was adequate in the woods but not in my class even when it came to silent movement. We couldn't catch up with a motorized vehicle unless it stopped and I didn't want to run into someone by accident. I noticed Bennie on the other side of the road. He moved faster but only marginally. Both of us were watching for traps and rear guards. We covered a couple of miles in just over ten minutes, which is a fast pace. Up ahead, we could hear the sounds of fighting and some explosions. I saw Bennie move his hands in a "slow down" motion and cut my speed as we came to a rise. I slowed even further as I neared the top.

There wasn't much cover but I used what I could. I went to my knees as I came closer. Bennie whispered, "Careful. There's a sentry vehicle on this side."

"Tim and I see it. We can cover."

Bennie said, "Okay, I'm going to try stealth. Tell Tim to hold his fire unless you give him a go-ahead." I told Tim what Bennie said ending with, "I may shoot but you don't unless you're in danger or I tell you to shoot. Bennie will be up there." I saw him nod.

Bennie's attack was quick and the two men in the pickup truck were surprised. They surrendered without a fight or a fuss. Bennie got them out of the truck and over to one side while I scanned for any hidden people other than Tim and myself. It was quiet. I don't think the Penn's gave any real thought to a person or persons sneaking up behind them.

We tied our captives and looked out over the road to see the Penn's lined up across both north and south bound lanes of the Interstate. Bennie called Jim and reported. Jim responded that his folks were ready and felt they could hold off an attack. He was concerned about a boat attack coming through the night since there was no moon. Bennie reported that he hadn't seen any sign of boats but understood the concern.

Bennie stayed with the truck and I went back to our two captives. I took my knife from its sheath and said with my favorite evil grin, "Guys, what's the plan? If I have to hurt you, it will be so messy?"

They looked at each other and then back at me stubbornly. I smiled some more and began to cut away their pants. I had one naked from the knees to the waist and, when I ran the dull side of the knife against his genitals, he quaked and released his bladder! I said, "That just worried you. Pain will be next." I looked at the other one and said, "What do you think? Should I castrate him?" I looked back at my victim and said, "When I remove your testicles, you will make such a high pitched cry. Then, I will saw your penis off. It will kill you eventually and perhaps that will convince your friend here to talk before I start on him." I moved toward him with my long knife pointed at his groin. I could hear him moaning through his gag. "I can't hear you. Would you like to talk rather than be an example?" He nodded his head rapidly. I moved over to the other one and cut his pants away so he, too, was now naked from waist to knees.

Bennie said that it left them helpless and feeling very vulnerable particularly since I continued to wave my knife in the general area of their genitals.

I loosened the first one's gag and he said, "I'll talk. Please don't cut me! I don't want to die!"

"Okay," I said, "so, talk about what you're planning down there."

"It's not me. It's the crazy daughter of the leader. It's her plan. She's going to get us killed. She and her dad are mad about the sign on that billboard and because there are people who aren't under their control. I was a farmer before the virus killed everyone and before the Penn's came to Virginia taking over and forcing us to leave our land. Jack and I have talked about how to desert and return to our farms. They didn't let us do anything at the farm other than release the animals before hauling us away to fight."

"Okay, where are the rest of them?"

"This is most of the fighters. There is a guard group up with the women back in, I think, Greenville." The other man nodded.

"If I set you free, what would your plans be?"

"I would untie my friend here, Jack. Then, we would head north to rescue our wives or whatever you want to call them. There was no one to marry us but Beth and I always thought of ourselves as married. Jack and Angie did, too. We don't want to hurt anybody, Ma'am. We're farmers."

I thought for a minute and then said, "I going to release your feet. You just stumble over into that group of trees," pointing, "and I'll keep you there until things quiet down. This spot may get uncomfortable when the shooting starts."

The three of us stumbled over to a small group of trees. I pulled up the pants on each one and fastened them. John said, "Thank you, Ma'am." After a pause, he asked, "Would you really have cut us?"

I smiled and responded, "Do you think I would have?"

"I did at first. After talking, no, I don't think you would. You had us convinced enough to talk." He chuckled.

I smiled back. "You're right. I would not but don't tell people. After all, it scares folks pretty thoroughly."

I had released Jack's gag, also. He said, "Yes, Ma'am. It does all that and more. I almost wet my pants when you came at me with that knife." He added after a moment, "Please don't forget us."

"I won't. Now, I have to help Bennie." I left them there and went to Bennie who had joined Tim.

He said, "Sounds like someone else got through the tough exterior." He grinned at me.

I grinned back. "Well, at least I found that they aren't planning a boat assault."

"Yes, I told Jim about that. He's rigging a bullhorn and will warn them. I expect that he will trigger an attack but, sooner or later, that will happen anyway. What do you think we should do from back here?"

"I would like to get close enough to take out Anne and her father. With them gone, this group may fall apart."

"I agree. Unfortunately, Jim has some longer-range weapons and we shouldn't get caught in it by being too close if they shoot long. I think we will need to wait. He plans to 'walk' his bombardment forward with other stuff hitting them from the front. It's going to be messy but he wants to minimize the risk for our people."

"You could hit from here with your rifle. What if Jim makes his announcement and a man stands to give commands and you get him. He could be Anne's father. I don't know if they would follow her without him."

He looked at me and said, "Now, that's a real possibility. However, we will get shot at whether we get him or not."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close