Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a - Cover

Destruction Aftermath, Book 2a

Copyright© 2012 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

Jim said, "I don't think you will kill us and doubt if you'll torture us. Our style would be to pick one out and shoot them. I think your style is more on threats and intimidation than torture or killing."

Ted said, "You're right. Janice, remember him for the 'probably not' group later. Fred, make sure their feet are tied and gag them. We'll leave them here. I guess they need to hope that Greg's blood doesn't draw dogs." Fred was finishing feet and gags heading to Jim.

Jim said, "Okay! Okay! You've intimidated me. I will tell you anything you want to know."

"Too late," Ted said. He turned on his heel and started down toward our horses. We followed as soon as Fred finished tying Jim's gag. I took their guns away with help from Bennie and George.

We left them there though did report in to Poppa Jack what we had done and where they were. We never returned as events panned out. Someone else picked them up.

We continued on our way into downtown Atlanta. There were two more sentry posts that Poppa wanted neutralized. One was at Lakewood Freeway where I-85 and I-75 came together to go into downtown. The other was at the I-20 interchange. Of course, now that we knew there might be others, we were slower.

Those were the only two. We saw and intercepted a Humvee that we learned was on its way to relieve the sentry posts. We tied them up and Bennie called Poppa Jack.

He said, "Jack, this is Bennie with Ted. We have taken out the posts all the way to I-20 in downtown Atlanta. We also intercepted a Humvee on its way to relieve two of the captured posts. It's time to get some serious people on the road. The Triple-A's are going to figure out we've been erasing their outposts and buckle down. Tonight, Ted and I agree is the best shot you will have with any hope of surprise. Over."

I heard Jack say, "I was afraid that you would say that. We're gathered up and will be taking vehicles up your way. I even have a prison van. Where should it stop?"

Bennie said, "At the first I-85 and I-285 intersection is Mitch with four. We left a dead set in College Park. There are sets at the other I-85 intersection and at Lakewood Freeway. We have a set here. Make it twenty in total."

"Okay, I understand. We are on the way as I speak. We will make a high speed run and be there in about an hour though the van may lag behind as it picks up your collection."

"Roger, we are going to pick up a couple of fast cars and ready them. We will be ready to head up some back roads and get close to the mall."

"Okay. You and Ted be careful. We'll see you soon."

We found a car park and used a trick to start them with their dead batteries. We had a couple of Mustang convertibles again though they weren't brand new. Ted said that it felt good to drive a fast car again.

We siphoned enough gas to fill the tanks and were ready to go. We put the tops down and rolled over to where we waited for Poppa and our "army" to show up.

We went over maps of the area around the mall. While the mall was just inside the perimeter, it was in far enough that there would have to be sentry posts in its parking lot and not just out on the main highway. Robert and Michael were to drive the cars like a number of years ago. I wanted one but they wanted Bennie and I in reserve and to bring up the horses. I want' happy but did it. We listened on the radio as they rolled up La Vista Road to within about a mile of the mall. There, they stopped and went closer on foot realizing that the cars and trucks' motors would be heard if they got closer. We caught up with them and then moved close on horseback. We tied the horses much closer to the mall but back off the road away from possible prying eyes.

We went over and checked out the area. As with most malls of the time, there were a number of strip centers built around it. We entered one and edged around checking for their sentry posts and for people walking around. We could get close enough to look down from a slight rise over to a section of the mall as it fronted La Vista Road. Our stealth seemed to be working as there were no signs of alarm from any Triple-A that we saw. We retreated to the inside of a store leaving a few sentries of our own. Poppa had brought some more serious weapons. We now had mortars and shells for them. He had collected mines and some heavy machine guns with mounts. Lastly, we had the grenade launchers and a few rocket launchers for their heavy vehicles. We were as prepared to fight more than even when we took out the Blasters years ago.

Poppa Jack said, "Okay, people, gather around and listen. This is the plan thus far. We have night vision goggles and we will attack at night. Nothing in any of the Triple-A vehicles suggests they have the goggles. We also have radios. We will set up two combat teams with the heavy, less portable weapons over here with Michael in charge. I will take the rest of you around to the back. We will check it out for sentries, which I expect and begin taking them out late this evening.

"Michael, your teams will start shooting based upon the first of two things. One will be our failure to surprise them and they will start shooting. That will be the signal though I will try to tell you to shoot, also. The other will be at my command when we are in place and ready. I want them looking for the attack over here when we come in and hit them from the back.

"Now, on the radios, everyone has a radio and earpiece. We will operate on 146.52 simplex for this mission. However, no one but Michael and two with him on this side and myself, Bennie, and Ted on the other side speak unless it's an emergency. I have two reasons for this and one is to keep the air quiet in case they are listening. Second is to keep chatter down so instructions can be heard. It will also keep any noise from your buds being heard

"Are there any questions?" He paused. "None heard and that's good. Shirl, you and Janice are with me. We'll move back and around." Momma just nodded. There were times to debate and times to say nothing. She did that. I followed her example and went with Bennie and Momma.

We made our way back and then went around staying away from roads and sight areas from the mall. I took us over an hour to get in place with all our stuff. In addition to our weapons and ammo, we had night goggles, batteries, body armor, water, and food for meals without cooking. We found a comfortable place and settled in. Bennie and I left our stuff with Momma and went forward to check out the back of the mall and check for sentries. Bennie is more patient than I'll ever be. After ten minutes or so, I hadn't seen anyone and figured there weren't any. Bennie waited another twenty minutes and then said, "Janice, look on top about fifty feet to the right of the center. Isn't that someone up there?"

I looked where he told me and found a glint that shouldn't be there. Then the glint moved a bit! "Bennie, you're right. I don't see anyone but there is a flash that moved against the wind. Someone's up there watching this side. I wonder if there's just one." I began to look further toward the corner and saw a possible at the corner. I then followed back. This time I saw someone up there. I continued to traverse the roof with my glasses and found two more. I told Bennie and he confirmed my sightings.

"Jack, this is Bennie. Janice and I have found four on the roof including the corners. You might have Michael scan the roof, also." Bennie said over the radio. I heard Michael say, "Roger."

We continued to watch. No vehicles came around to our side though there was activity reported on the other side. That was the good news. The bad news was that we had four sentry positions to take out because we couldn't cut across the parking lot even in the dark without being seen if they stayed up there in the evenings.

Bennie and I whispered it over as we lay back watching the sentries. He said, "Even if we get to the buildings unseen, it's going to take more than just the two of us to do anything worthwhile inside. We need to work out a way for a small group to get to the building and then get on the roof to eliminate the sentries unless we can do it some other way. We also need to know what Michael may find on the other side. We know there's four but are there eight?"

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close