Unalienable Rights
Chapter 32

Copyright© 2012 by Robert McKay

Well, that wasn't quite true. Darlia was in the dining room, at the foot of the table, coloring. And Mama and Bella – Cecelia's mother and sister – were in Alabama, where they live and Cecelia grew up. But "all the women I love" was a pretty close approximation. On the sofa, facing me, were Tina on the left and Sara on the right. And in her rocker to the right, closer to the wall now that she's moved her computer into the sewing room, was Cecelia, grinning at me.

"Hen party?" I asked as I hung my hat on the rack.

"Why, yes," said my wife, "though we will allow one rooster to sit in if he refrains from gratuitous crowing."

I took a step to my right, so I could reach and set my gun on the TV. "Suppose I crow when it's not gratuitous?" I asked as I undid my jacket.

"There is no such thing as a rooster uttering a non-gratuitous crow," Cecelia said.

I glanced at Tina and Sara as I hung my jacket on the rack. "And y'all's view on this?"

Tina nodded with what I hoped was mock solemnity. "If Cecelia said it, I believe it."

"I believe her too," said Sara.

"¿Y tú, amiga?" I asked.

Cecelia interposed. "Si mi hermana me cree, es prueba que es una mujer muy inteligente."

"That's about my limit," I said, as I plucked my gun from the top of the TV. I turned to my left, where Darlia had twisted in her chair to look in my direction. "I don't suppose you'd care to agree with me just this once, Weightlifter?"

"Nope."

"Oh, go color a grape."

Darlia giggled. "I think I'll color a panda instead."

I grinned at her. Turning back to the living room, I said, "I'll just put this away and then I'll be back."

It didn't take long to put my gun in the drawer where it stays when I'm home, and get back out to the living room. The women had been somewhat gracious – Tina was now in Cecelia's rocker, Sara was in the "company chair" where Rudy usually sits when he's at the house, and Cecelia was on her end of the sofa. I sat next to her, taking her hand and twining my fingers through hers. "You know," I said, "this may be a hen party, but I can't argue with the way y'all decorate the living room."

Tina nodded. "You always did like my looks – at least, you said so." She turned to look at Sara. "Now this one is a little chubbier and shorter than I am, and definitely chubbier than Cecelia. As for Cecelia herself, she is the most unique woman I've ever met. I'm not qualified, maybe, to judge women's looks, since I like men," and she grinned, "but I think that Cecelia is maybe the most exotically attractive woman I've ever met."

I raised my eyebrows. I wish I could do one at a time like Spock, but I'm not that coordinated. "You know, Tina, I really appreciate that – I think Cecelia's the most beautiful woman on earth. But not many people agree. Shoot, not many people, men or women, think she's even worth looking at." I grunted. "Just proves they ain't got no taste."

"I won't argue, Darvin," Tina said. Cecelia's expression showed that she was as puzzled as I was by Tina's line of conversation – and I had no idea where my new friend and old flame was headed. Sara was just sitting there, rocking gently; she's a quiet one in company, talking a lot only when she's in a one-on-one situation. "But I do have a point ... you know, I can hear you saying that. I've heard you say that many times, when you seemed to be wandering but knew all the time where you were going. My point is that you seem to have good taste in women."

"I won't argue that, much as I'd like to. But I know Sara through Rudy, so it's his taste really."

"Pero soy mona," Sara said softly.

"I have remembered more Spanish since moving to Albuquerque than I had realized I'd forgotten. My last name may be Morales, but I've become almost Anglo in my travels. What did you say, Sara?"

Sara just shook her head shyly. Cecelia translated: "She said, 'But I am cute.'"

"More than cute, Sara," I said. "You're a very pretty lady." I looked around. "You all are, in your own ways – Darlia over there, my wife here next to me, Sara hiding behind her hair, and you, Tina."

Cecelia must have heard something in my voice, for she turned to look directly at me. Tina heard it too, and said, "Darvin, we're approaching my point, I think." She paused, and reached out to brush a lock of hair from Sara's cheek – a tender gesture that women can get away with but would bring derision down on a man who was so gentle with another man. "We were discussing, when you came in, our relationships with you."

"Ah," I said. "Knowing y'all, it would have been a frank discussion. I know Cecelia don't pretty things up, and even La Rubor over there can be direct when she has to be." I'd mangled my Spanish a little bit, calling Sara "the Blush," for she was indeed blushing lightly, I supposed at the thought of me knowing she'd been frankly discussing me.

All three women laughed. "You're right," Tina said. The others were letting her carry the conversation – but then it was her point we were meandering toward. "But the point is this – and none of us are sure we know the answer. Just what are your feelings toward me now, Darvin?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close