A Charmed Life
Chapter 18: The Dogs of War

Copyright© 2016 by The Outsider

19 December 1989 – Airborne – Southbound, over the Gulf of Mexico

The cadence got it wrong.

Jeff’s little trip was on a C-141 Starlifter aircraft, one of the hundreds delivering early Christmas presents to Panama. Follow-on troops may travel on C-130s, but not the initial wave. Jeff woke from his nap. He reviewed the plan for the jump one more time before putting the map away. If he didn’t know it by now, he never would.

’I don’t think this is going to end like Golden Pheasant did, Jeff thought, thinking about the not-quite combat insertion he took part in last March. Unlike that jump into Honduras, combat looked certain for the 504th PIR this time.

He noticed a mix of emotions on the faces of his fire team when he looked down the row of seats. The new members of the squad, SPC Herman Adler and PFC Norm Feller, didn’t look nervous at all – they were asleep. Both experienced soldiers transferred into the 82nd at their own request. Williams and Sledz, however, looked scared.

“Hey!” he yelled to Williams over the scream of the plane’s engines. “Take a deep breath, man! You scared?” Williams nodded. “Good! Me, too!” Williams shot him a surprised look. “You’d have to be crazy not to be! There’s only one way off this plane, and that’s through those doors back there! The first step is a thousand feet high!” Williams chuckled and shook his head. He nodded his thanks to Jeff.

Jeff motioned for Williams to switch places with Sledz. The two privates swapped places, and Jeff repeated his little speech. Sledz was more nervous than Williams before Jeff’s pep talk. He thanked Jeff after three minutes of uncontrollable laughter.

“Just remember, Manny, ‘bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.’ You and Rick have performed properly since you guys got here. Shit, you didn’t even budge when Doc cut Oscar Infante’s neck that day! If that’s not bravery, I don’t know what is!”

“Where have I heard that first thing you said before?”

“The person who said that was the first-ever division commander of the 82nd Airborne, General of the Army Omar N. Bradley. That might be why you’ve heard it before.”

The Air Force lit the plane’s interior with red lights during the entire flight; this preserved the paratroopers’ night-vision before they jumped. Now the red pre-jump warning lights came on near the jump doors. Time to get ready.

“Showtime, Manny!”


Lieutenant Cherrington ordered 3rd Squad to perform a security sweep outside the LZ perimeter. They would push the American-controlled envelope around Omar Torrijos Airport outward. They’d operate from other supporting units, but they weren’t worried about it. Hell, that’s what the Airborne does.

Their assigned reconnaissance patrol was routine, up until the point it was not. They stumbled across a Panamanian Defense Forces patrol which launched a hasty ambush at them. Years of training the PDF in American tactics came back to bite them in the ass – their ‘fourth point of contact’ in Airborne language. The PDF knew where to concentrate their fire to do the most damage to the squad. They caught squad leadership conferring while the patrol stopped.

John Tyler and Frank Breckenridge died immediately while Cory Song was wounded. He was now unconscious. 3rd Squad bounded away from the ambush after assaulting through the PDF and wiping the enemy forces out. Williams and Sledz carried the dead across their backs; American forces do not leave their fallen on the battlefield.

Adler and Feller limped along, carrying Song in a poncho between them. Feller also carried the destroyed radio as they made their way away from the ambush site; he was the squad’s RTO – the radio-telephone operator, or radioman. The PDF would know 3rd Squad was out of contact if they found the radio. Jeff slung his M-16 across his back while he carried Adler’s M-60 and extra ammo. The squad had eliminated the PDF force that tried to ambush them, but the Americans knew another PDF force would find their trail and try to hit them again. Survival was far from assured.

Ken became acting squad leader with Tyler and Breckenridge dead and Song out of action. 3rd Squad needed to hole up. Ken looked over the terrain he selected for the squad’s hasty patrol base site. It was nasty: a partial swamp separated from the trail by thick brush and buzzing with mosquitos. In other words, it was the perfect place for a patrol base. The enemy would have to look hard for their trail in, and the site allowed them an escape route. Ken picked out spots for their fighting positions.

“What now, Ken?” Jeff whispered.

Jeff spoke in English to avoid any possible confusion during translation. Jeff looked at Ken but it was too dark to see Ken’s face, just his silhouette. Jeff was lucky that Ken couldn’t see him, either. Jeff’s shoulder bled freely and had already soaked through his BDUs.

“We’ve got to get this perimeter set up before the PDF comes back,” Ken whispered back to his friend. “Conserve ammo, water, rations, and hold out until the sun comes up and we get relieved. If they hit us and we can’t get away, we give ‘em everything we’ve got.”

The squad bent to the task and set up the perimeter. Ken and Jeff, now Ken’s assistant squad leader, met again to discuss what they still needed to accomplish.

Before the meeting started, a flash appeared outside their perimeter. Ken shoved Jeff backward without hesitation. Jeff landed hard as he heard Ken’s grunt of pain. Williams and Sledz returned fire while the rest of the squad held steady. The shot came from outside of their sectors of responsibility. A cry pierced the darkness, and the two ceased fire. Jeff rushed to Ken’s side, his heart in his throat.

“Through-and-through to my bicep,” Ken said through clenched teeth. “I’m okay.”

Jeff thought Ken needed work on his definition of ‘okay.’ Jeff tore away the arm of Ken’s BDU shirt before opening Ken’s first aid pouch; under the dim light of a red-filtered flashlight, Jeff dressed the wound as best he could. He grabbed the grenades off Ken’s LBE to hand out to others in the squad.

Jeff took the Claymore mines from Ken’s pack and put them in an empty rucksack stripped from one of the dead. Jeff collected more mines from the squad, including the deceased. Jeff thought their lieutenant was nuts when he told them to take the mines before they left. Jeff was now grateful that the LT insisted.

“I’ll be right back,” he whispered.

“The hell you will!” Ken whispered back.

“Ken, I’m the only one not wounded in the leg. I’m the only one of us that can still move around. The rest of you guys are already starting to stiffen up, and we need to get this done before the PDF hits us again.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to make this an expensive piece of ground for the PDF.” Jeff handed Ken a large, soft-sided case. “These are Tyler’s PVS-7s. I’m taking Song’s, and I’m going out to even the odds a little. I’ll flash the active IR source every thirty minutes to let you know I’m okay. I’ll flash a reverse SOS with my flashlight to tell you that I’m coming back in: three longs, three shorts, three longs, okay? Get these guys home if I don’t make it back.”

Jeff disappeared before Ken could object. By the time Ken had the night vision goggles out and on, his friend was nowhere to be seen.


Pain.

That’s what registered first when consciousness returned. The pain centered around Jeff’s left chest and arm. He recognized the pain as a good thing; he’d been in combat, so the pain meant that he was still alive, at least for the moment. Next to register was the steady whine he heard even through what he guessed were headphones over his ears. The whine was one he recognized: the engines of a C-5A Galaxy cargo plane. He’d been on one only once, for a trip home last year, but the sound was hard to forget. He tried opening his eyes. Even the low-level lighting hurt at first. He made out the shapes of people near him.

Two women stood nearby, officers both. They wore Air Force flight suits and aircrew headsets with microphones; a dark-haired first lieutenant briefed a blonde lieutenant colonel. The colonel, from what Jeff saw of her, looked familiar. Her height and the patches on her flight suit, combined with the blonde hair, reminded him of someone he met once. When she looked up from what the lieutenant showed her, he did recognize her.

Jeff thought he was close enough to reach the colonel, despite the IV lines taped into his right arm. His litter lay at their waist height, so reached out to touch the colonel’s elbow. The lieutenant noticed his movement. Her glance caused the colonel to notice, and to turn towards Jeff. The colonel’s eyes showed a hint of tears as she rested her hand on his arm and smiled down at him.

“Wrong party, Colonel,” Jeff said through his oxygen mask.

The lieutenant relayed his message through her headset. The colonel nodded and grabbed a pad from her pocket, scribbling a quick note.

“Sleep – Long flight – I’ll come back”

He nodded and drifted back into unconsciousness.


Jane Donnelly looked down at the young man on the litter. She wished that her daughter’s best friend wasn’t so seriously wounded. She and Lieutenant Mia DiNapoli both noticed movement as the lieutenant briefed her on Jeff’s injuries: penetrating trauma to the left anterior chest and left upper arm, a pneumothorax, a hemothorax, massive blood loss, and dehydration. As badly hurt as he was, he wasn’t the worst on the flight. But he was the only wounded soldier Jane knew.

“Ma’am?” came the voice over her headset. “Are you alright?” Jane turned. Lt. DiNapoli looked at her with concern.

“No, Lieutenant, not really,” was Jane’s honest reply. “This soldier is my daughter’s best friend. I thought – or maybe I hoped – he would be my son-in-law one day. But he and my daughter told our family those feelings just weren’t there. They’re very close now, like brother and sister.” Jane sighed. “I’m not looking forward to telling her he’s wounded.”

“My condolences, Ma’am. I knew you were concerned about him, but now I understand why. What did he mean, Ma’am, when he said ‘wrong party?’”

“Last December I flew a cargo mission out of Pope to Westover Air Force Base. Westover is just outside of Springfield, Massachusetts, and the corporal flew Space-A with us. He’s from that area, and his family Christmas party was that day. Jeff was trying to surprise them because he hadn’t told them he was coming home. He was the only person other than my crew on board, so I let him sit on the flight deck.” Jane paused to compose herself.

“This young man impressed me, and my officers. He gave us a good vibe right away. He brought a book with him on that flight, one about a possible conventional third World War. The title escapes me at the moment ... I think it had a color in the title?”

“I think I know the one you mean, Ma’am. Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising?”

Jane nodded. “That’s the one. He’s a voracious reader and a huge history buff. The rest of my flight crew had read the book and told me that Jeff had some good insights. They were particularly impressed with his knowledge of the state of NATO and Warsaw Pact forces and capabilities back then. Jeff also provided a few alternate scenarios based on his knowledge.”

“When we got to Westover, my daughter came to pick me up. The corporal and my daughter hit it off like nothing I’ve ever seen. Their history debates over the next couple of weeks were insightful and even beneficial for Heather when she went back to school. She said Jeff provided viewpoints she hadn’t considered or heard in class. Heather used one or two to construct arguments for her papers since then.” Jane sighed again.

“For those two weeks, they were all but inseparable. They were always together, either at my parents’ place, his parents’ place, or off somewhere together. My dad’s a retired paratrooper, the former commander of the same regiment the corporal is in now. It usually takes him a long time to trust someone new around ‘his girls.’ That’s my daughter Heather, my mom, and me. He liked the corporal right away – again, something else I’ve never seen. Dad was hell on my dates in high school.”

“At the end of those two weeks, Heather needed to head back to UMass, and he needed to report back to his unit. The two of them had a very adult conversation about their relationship before leaving Greenwich. That’s when they decided that while they loved each other, they weren’t in love with each other. They considered themselves siblings from that point on. Mom and Dad were disappointed that he wouldn’t marry Heather, and I know I was too.” She shook her head.

“Thank you, Lieutenant, for listening to me ramble,” Jane said, drawing herself up straight. “I’ll get back to my job so that you can get back to yours. Thank you for briefing me.”

“Of course, Ma’am.”

Jane Donnelly found a dark corner in her cavernous aircraft and cried for the young man she considered an adopted son.


An exhausted Jane Donnelly dropped into a desk chair later that day. She sat in her assigned Visiting Officer Quarters room at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington, DC, and stared at the wall. Jane turned to gaze longingly at the full-sized bed mere inches from her, but knew she had a couple of calls to make before she could lie down. Jane picked up the phone and dialed a number she remembered from childhood.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Heather.”

“MOM! Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Heather. I’m just tired. It’s been a long few days. After I hang up with you and make one other call, I’m taking a shower and sleeping until Christmas.”

“Mom, Jeff’s been wounded in Panama,” Heather told her, near tears. “Kara said they haven’t told her family much beyond that Jeff was wounded and flown back to Walter Reed in Washington.”

“I know about Jeff, Heather,” Jane sighed. “He was on the aircraft I flew into Andrews just now. I need to call his parents. Would you give me their number in Enfield?” Jane wrote down the number as Heather gave it to her.

“Heather, Jeff is badly hurt, but he woke up and recognized me. He was awake again when we landed and while they unloaded him. The flight surgeon said those were good things. Jeff will be okay.”

“Thanks, Mom,” her daughter replied, the relief audible in her voice. “I love you. Get some sleep. I’ll tell Grammy and Grampy you’re safe and that you’ll call after you wake up.”

“I promise, Heather,” Jane replied. “Love you, too. Bye.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close