A Charmed Life
Chapter 14: Scapegoat

Copyright© 2016 by The Outsider

13 June 1988 – Fort Bragg, North Carolina

“Private Knox, you’re under arrest.”

’What the hell?’ Jeff stood frozen in shock.

The sergeant nodded to one of the MPs behind Jeff. The specialist stepped up to Jeff and snapped handcuffs on him. That brought Jeff out of his trance, but he did not react. The MPs were doing their jobs and this was neither the time nor the place to act up.

“Private Knox, I want to advise you of your rights under Article Thirty-one of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. You have the right to remain silent, that is, to say nothing at all. Any statement you do make, either oral or written, may be used against you in a trial by court-martial or in other judicial, nonjudicial, or administrative proceedings. You have the right to consult with a lawyer prior to any questioning and to have a lawyer present during any interview. You have the right to military counsel free of charge. In addition to military counsel, you are entitled to your choice of civilian counsel at your own expense. You may request a lawyer at any time during an interview. Do you understand your rights, Private?”

“Yes, Sergeant. At this time, I wish to request the presence of military counsel before any questioning.”

One of the things he and Jack Dwadczik talked about during their workouts was what to do if he was ever arrested. That discussion boiled down to him immediately requesting a lawyer and then keeping his mouth shut.

“Very well.” The sergeant raised his radio. “Bravo Zero-Three, Uniform Zero-Six, suspect in custody. Suspect requests presence of JAG before questioning.”

“Roger, Zero-Six. One in custody, requesting JAG.”

“Zero-Six to all Uniform units: suspect secure.” The sergeant placed his radio back in its holder. He motioned for his men to follow him.

“Jeff, I’ll call Sergeant Tyler,” Ken called after him as the MPs led him away.

His squad-mates stared in disbelief from their doorways as they watched Jeff escorted down the hall in cuffs. Jeff’s cheeks burned from embarrassment and anger.

’What the HELL?’

Sergeant Tyler stood in the lobby next to the CQ desk by the time the group reached the bottom of the stairs.

“Sergeant, I’m Knox’s squad leader; can I ask what’s going on?”

“Private Knox is under arrest for theft of Government property, conspiracy to commit theft, and other charges. He has requested counsel as is his right under UCMJ Article Thirty-one,” the MP sergeant explained. One of the other MPs placed Jeff’s beret on his head in preparation for leading him outside.

“Thank you, Sergeant.”

The MP nodded at Tyler, and then at his men. They led Jeff to a waiting MP cruiser and placed him in the back seat. They drove to the stockade, where they brought him inside for processing. They booked him and placed him in a holding cell. It approached 0900 and he still hadn’t had breakfast. Jeff did push-ups and sit-ups to tire himself out and then laid down on the cell’s bunk. There was nothing to do but wait.

’What the frikken HELL?’

Jeff reviewed his seven months at Fort Bragg over and over, trying to remember anything that could have caused him to land in the stockade. He couldn’t think of anything. He hadn’t had so much as an angry word spoken to him by anyone in authority since Jaeckel’s little test on his first day. They took his watch during booking, and there was no clock he could see. Jeff didn’t know how long he’d been in the cell when he drifted off to sleep.

The clank of the lock turning in the heavy door woke Jeff. It took a moment to get his bearings, but he soon remembered where he was. Two MPs stepped through the door.

“Private, stand up, face the far wall and put your hands behind your back.” Jeff complied immediately. They handcuffed him again. “Your lawyer’s here. Let’s go.”

The two MPs led Jeff to a small meeting room where they removed the cuffs and motioned him inside. Jeff snapped to attention upon seeing the JAG captain waiting for him.

“Private Knox? I’m Captain Willoughby.” She sported an 18th Airborne Corps patch on her uniform as well as jump wings.

“Good morning, Ma’am!” Jeff barked.

“At ease, Private. Have a seat. We have much to discuss.” Jeff complied right away, sitting across from his attorney. “Private, I’ve been assigned by the Corps Judge Advocate General’s office as your counsel in this matter. Do you have any objections to that?”

Jeff was puzzled. “No, Ma’am.”

“You’d be surprised how often people object to a woman as their counsel.”

“That seems a little stupid, Ma’am.”

“I agree. Let’s get to the matter at hand, shall we? The Government alleges that you took part in a robbery on the night of zero-four June and planned it as well. They are charging you with theft of Government property, receiving stolen Government property, breaking and entering into a Government warehouse, and conspiracy to commit said theft.”

Jeff’s head, which had already been spinning, spun harder. The captain was forced to get his attention because he took so long to process that information.

“Sorry, Ma’am.”

“It’s a lot to take in all at once, Private. Don’t worry about it. I’ve been reviewing your two-oh-one file, and this doesn’t line up with what I’ve read. Your record is spotless.”

“This is not who I am, Ma’am. I had no part in what I’m being accused of.”

“Let’s put aside the current charges for the moment. Talk to me about your career so far.”

Captain Willoughby led him through every minute detail of his career since he arrived at Fort Benning’s reception center last year. She went back and forth through his tenure at Fort Bragg. They’d been at it for some time when Jeff closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Private? Are you alright?”

“My apologies, Ma’am. A headache is all. I haven’t eaten yet today.”

“WHAT?”

“I was arrested as my roommate and I headed to breakfast after PT this morning, Ma’am. I haven’t eaten.”

The captain’s face set into a fierce scowl. She sprang from her chair and pounded on the door. “GUARD!” The door opened immediately.

“Yes, Ma’am?” the guard asked.

“Specialist, you will get my client a meal immediately. He was arrested before breakfast and has been held here since. It is now almost sixteen hundred hours and he has not eaten today. There had better be a meal here in under fifteen minutes. Do make myself clear, Specialist?”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

“Make it a sizable one. Move, Specialist!”

“Yes, Ma’am!” the MP repeated. The door swung shut, locking as it closed. Jeff heard the specialist dart down the hall.

“Private, do you wish to wait until they bring you something?”

“If we could, Ma’am? I can’t think straight at the moment.”

The specialist returned with a wrapped granola bar two minutes later.

“There’s a tray coming for your client on the double, Ma’am. Staff Sergeant Jennings ordered me to offer this granola bar to Private Knox in the meantime.” The captain just nodded, the scowl still plain on her face.

“Thank you, Specialist,” Jeff said as the other man handed him the bar.

The MP nodded and left the room. Jeff tried to eat slowly so he wouldn’t look like a ravenous animal to the captain.

“I’m surprised you took the time to unwrap it, Private. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone eat that fast.”

“My parents have told me that meals last twice as long and cost half as much now that I’m out of the house, Ma’am.” Captain Willoughby laughed. Her parents said the same thing when her brothers moved out.

Jeff’s tray arrived ten minutes later. They provided him with a double-portion of lasagna, a small salad, bread, Jell-O, and two cartons of milk; all of that disappeared in twenty minutes. He was glad he could eat the meal with a spoon because that was the only utensil they gave him.

“Do you need a nap now, Private?” the captain joked.

“Sorry, Ma’am. I guess I was a little hungry.”

“I’d hate to see it when you’re really hungry.”

“Stay clear of the intake, Ma’am, and you’ll be safe.” The captain laughed again. The food cleared Jeff’s head. “Ma’am, they’re alleging that I was part of the actual theft, is that correct?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“And the theft was last weekend?”

“Yes.”

Jeff smiled. “Ma’am, would it help if I could produce a solid alibi?”

“Of course.”

“I was seven hundred miles from here, in my hometown of Enfield, Massachusetts last weekend, Ma’am.”

The captain leaned forward. “You can prove that?”

“Yes, Ma’am. My younger sister graduated high school on Saturday the fourth. I was on leave all of last week. I left Bragg at oh-six-hundred, on zero-two June and didn’t return until this past Friday the tenth, at seventeen-hundred.”

The captain smiled upon hearing that news. “I’ll need the names and addresses of people you were with and when you were with them. Can anyone other than your family verify your whereabouts last week?”

“Only about two hundred people, Ma’am. One of those people includes a World War II veteran of the 325th, an officer. I don’t have the gentleman’s address, but I believe I can get it for you. There will be the pictures the school photographer took as well, Ma’am.”

“Someone’s trying to pin this on you.”

“Yes, Ma’am. It’s all falling into place in my head now. Remember the barracks thief I mentioned?” Willoughby nodded. “Here’s what I’m thinking. My roommate and I found that thief in our room after a training jump in mid-May. The theft last weekend occurred at my company’s supply warehouse. When I in-processed at Alpha Company, the supply sergeant there tried giving me a set of LBE so encrusted with mud you could barely tell what it was. I called him on it. When I did, he tried telling me that I’d already signed for it, so I was stuck with it.”

“The thing was, I hadn’t signed for it. The sergeant told me to sign a receipt as soon as I walked in and before I was ever issued any gear. I’ve been told for years that you don’t sign any receipt until you’ve inspected what you’re signing for. When I pointed out to the sergeant that I hadn’t signed the receipt, he got so red in the face I thought he was going to blow a gasket. He snatched that gear back and threw it on the floor. He barked at one of his specialists to bring him another set without taking his eyes off mine. I’ve dealt with bigger bullies than him in the past, so I just stared right back. The specialist brought up another set of LBE and the sergeant slid it in front of me without a word. I counted the equipment I was issued, signed the receipt, and left. That’s the last time I’ve dealt with him. I think the two are somehow connected.”

“That fat little...” the captain muttered. “He’s the one trying to hang this one on you! I’ll lay odds that he and this ‘Fingers’ guy are tied in with each other! When you disrupted his supply chain, the sergeant started plotting his revenge! I’m going to hang him by his short and curlies!”

Jeff winced. “That’s one hell of a visual, Ma’am.”

“My priority is to make sure that you, my client, do not suffer from this.”

“The word ‘expunged’ keeps coming to mind, Ma’am.”

“That’s a good word, but I think ‘exonerated’ will be a better one. Any interest in becoming a lawyer? That was some good thinking there.”

“No offense, Ma’am, but I’d rather go back to my high school and have the soccer team kick balls at my head. For an hour.”

“None taken, Private,” she chuckled. “When was that training jump? The one when you caught Fingers?”

“I’m afraid you’d have to check with Alpha Company on that one, Ma’am. I don’t remember the exact date. It was the same day they arrested Fingers.”

“I think we’re getting ready to hit the other side right between their eyes with a two-by-four.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close