A Charmed Life
Chapter 11: With a Little Help from My Friends

Copyright© 2016 by The Outsider

22 October 1987 – West Meighan Boulevard, Gadsden, Alabama

“TC, I can’t say thanks enough...” Jeff said to his friend. The bus they rode pulled into the bus terminal in TC’s home town. The two met in July at Basic Training; they and one other soldier from Basic were together through their Advanced Individual Training and Airborne School, though they hadn’t formed as close a friendship with the other man.

“I know, Jeff. You’ve thanked me about a hundred times since I brought up the idea. Mom and Dad agreed with me when I asked them, so don’t worry about it. Just relax, okay? We’ve only got a couple of weeks before we report to Bragg, so let’s enjoy it.”

Jeff nodded and let out a deep breath while the bus pulled into its assigned parking space. They claimed their duffel bags from the storage area under the bus without incident before walking into the terminal. Jeff’s eyes scanned his surroundings, taking in the sights of a new place.

Nothing too unique about a bus terminal, he thought. We could still be in Columbus, for all I know.

Two women rushed up to TC; an older version of TC followed at a slower pace. The two women hugged TC while his father walked over to Jeff and held out his hand.

“Jeff, good to see you again!” Dr. Thomas Clayton Pelley, Jr., said as they shook hands. His friend TC was better known as Thomas Clayton Pelley the Third.

“It’s very nice to see you again too, sir,” Jeff replied. Jeff met TC’s parents when they travelled to Fort Benning to see their oldest graduate from AIT.

“We’re glad you could come.” He clapped Jeff on the shoulder. By this time TC’s mother and sister released TC, allowing his father to welcome him home. Mrs. Pelley and TC’s sister, Miranda, came over to greet Jeff. Jean Pelley gathered him into a firm hug, surprising him.

“Jeff, you’re looking good. It’s very nice to have you here with us before you boys head to Fort Bragg.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Jeff said. “And thank you to your whole family for allowing me to impose on you like this.”

“Oh, hush,” she said, swatting his arm. “We’re glad that Tommy has made such a good friend in the Army already.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Pelley,” Jeff replied.

Turning to the young lady with Mrs. Pelley, Jeff said, “It’s good to see you again. How have you been, Miss Miranda?”

The bespectacled blonde girl blushed, looking down and smiling with a closed mouth. Jeff saw the stunning beauty she would soon become when they first met; she was Allison redux. Jeff gently took Miranda’s outstretched hand, turned it over, bowed low, and kissed the back of it. Miranda’s braces showed for a moment when she smiled. This was before she covered her mouth with her other hand and giggled at Jeff’s antics.

“Hey, you puttin’ the moves on my little sister?” TC demanded in mock indignation. “I’m standin’ right here!”

“You told me she doesn’t have a boyfriend,” Jeff shot back. “I know I’m just a damnyankee, but there must be a lot of stupid boys around here.” Miranda blushed and smiled, covering her mouth again. Jeff turned back to Miranda and asked, “When did TC say you were getting your braces off?”

“Saturday,” Miranda responded in her lyrical, accented voice.

“I used to have them in high school, too,” Jeff replied. “I smiled the same way until my girlfriend at the time convinced me that it shouldn’t be my problem that other people had a problem with them.” Encouraged by his words Miranda smiled back, this time without covering her mouth. “Wow! You’ll have to chase the boys off with a stick when those braces come off!” Miranda blushed again at Jeff’s antics.

“Ready to go?” Dr. Pelley asked. TC and Jeff nodded and slung their duffels over their left shoulders. This left their right hands free to salute if necessary. Both young men wore their Class-A uniforms, as they were traveling under orders; the uniforms drew curious looks in an America only twelve years removed from Vietnam.

They drove to the Pelley’s home in the southern section of Gadsden, Alabama. Miranda sat in the middle of the rear seat next to Jeff which allowed them to chat. Miranda had accompanied her parents to Benning in September when he and TC ‘turned blue’ at the end of AIT, but they hadn’t gotten to know each other then.

Jeff discovered that Miranda was even more intelligent than her brother hinted at. He also learned that a school dance was scheduled for that coming Saturday. Miranda would get her braces off that same afternoon. She hadn’t been asked to the dance and she hadn’t wanted to go with her braces on. Miranda hadn’t been told that her braces would be coming off until earlier this week; she believed wouldn’t find someone to go with her on such short notice. Jeff filed that piece of information away for later. When Miranda went up to bed that evening, Jeff presented his idea to TC and his parents.

“You ARE putting the moves on my sister!” TC exclaimed.

“Look, you told me more about this dance after Miranda brought it up; it’s clear to me that she feels like she’s missed her chance at going. I also think that she feels she didn’t really shine at her debut last year. Am I right?”

“You’re very perceptive, Jeff,” Mrs. Pelley remarked. “I’d say you’ve read my daughter’s mood very well.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Pelley. Now the dance is in two days? This Saturday?” The three Pelleys nodded. “I propose that Saturday morning, Mrs. Pelley, you take her to get a dress appropriate for the dance. Maybe under the guise of getting one ‘for a nice dinner out to celebrate getting her braces off?’ After that, take her to get her hair done. I’ll get the tickets, a corsage for her, and I’ll be ready to surprise her with the news that we’re actually going to the dance when you return.”

“Jeff, no offense, but you seem to be putting a lot of effort into this, even though you insist you’re not trying to ‘score’ with my little girl,” Dr. Pelley said.

“Sir, ma’am, TC -- I swear to you that I am not. Mrs. Pelley said that I’ve read Miranda well, and my read is that she’d appreciate a good memory of her high school years, particularly of her senior year. With how things were between my mother and I at the end of my senior year, I can’t imagine how I’d remember my high school years if I hadn’t had the positive experiences I did.”

Mrs. Pelley put her hand on her husband’s arm and smiled at him before turning back to Jeff. “Jeff, we believe you and we apologize for the implication.”

“Ma’am, you’re looking out for your little girl; I can hardly fault you for that.”

“We don’t doubt your sincerity, especially not after hearing your reasoning,” Mrs. Pelley said, smiling in apology at Jeff. Dr. Pelley looked sheepish for doubting his son’s friend.

Jeff launched into an explanation of his preparations as if he hadn’t heard a negative word; TC’s parents looked at him in gratitude. “I’ll work on my boots for the next couple of days so they’ll shine like mirrors. I’ll have TC run me down to Anniston tomorrow to get high-gloss badges for my uniform. I can’t be looking like some refugee from a thrift store standing next to her.”


“Hi, Mrs. Williams,” TC said to the woman behind the office counter the following day. He and Jeff were at Southside High School, TC’s alma mater.

“Tom Pelley, you young rascal! How have you been?” the gray-haired woman asked. “You look well.”

“I’ve been very well, thank you, ma’am. Yourself?”

“Gettin’ by. Who’s this young gentleman with you?”

“Mrs. Williams, may I introduce Private Second Class Jeffrey Andrew Knox, late of Enfield, Massachusetts? Jeff, this is Mrs. Alfredine Williams, the real power behind the throne here at Southside.”

Freddie Williams recoiled in horror. “Thomas Clayton Pelley the Third! You bring a damnyankee, and a blue belly on top of it, into my school?” She had a smile on her face as she asked the question.

“It’s okay, Mrs. Williams. He’s got proper manners; he’s even housebroken.”

“How do you do, Mrs. Williams? It’s very nice to meet you.” Jeff offered.

“It’s nice to meet you as well, Mr. Knox. Do you have an interest in high schools in the South?”

“Sadly, no, ma’am,” Jeff smiled. “We came to see if tickets were still available for the Fall Festival Dance tomorrow evening?”

Freddie Williams looked at TC, a twinkle in her eye. “Miranda?” TC nodded with a small smile. “They are indeed, Mr. Knox.”

“May I buy a pair, then?” Mrs. Williams quoted him a price and he handed over the cash, getting two tickets in return.

“Does she know?” she asked.

“No, ma’am.” Jeff said with a small smile of his own.

“If anyone says anything, I’ll just say that you were with Thomas when he came back to visit.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Turning to TC, Jeff said, “Driver? Anniston Army Depot, if you please.”


“Thanks again for today, Mom. I had a lot of fun,” Miranda said when they returned to their house Saturday afternoon.

“You’re welcome, darling,” Jean Pelley said, smiling.

“We’re going out to dinner in a little while?”

“Yes, Miri, as soon as we get changed and the men get ready,” Jean said as they pulled into the garage. “You go up the back stairs and get dressed. Once I hear you close your door, I’ll let the boys know they can get dressed. I want to surprise them with your new look.”

Miranda sported a new haircut, one that let her face be seen better and revealed her natural beauty. Mrs. Pelley also surprised her with a trip to the optometrist for contacts, which got rid of the unflattering glasses she hid behind for years.

Miranda scampered out of the car with her new purchases and ran up the stairs. Once Jean heard her daughter’s door slam shut she walked into their living room. Her husband, seeing her enter, turned to greet her.

“Everything go okay, Jeannie?”

“All set, Tom,” she replied. Hearing this, Jeff nodded and went to the downstairs bedroom he’d been given for his visit. He emerged ten minutes later wearing his Class-A uniform, complete with highly-polished boots, sharp creases, his beret, and high-gloss skill badges. He carried a bouquet of roses. Jean Pelley nodded in approval.

“Mom?” Miranda called from the top of the stairs, still out of sight.

Jean smiled at her husband and the two boys, then turned to assist her daughter. She smiled wider while her daughter, who looked wonderful in her new little black dress and heels, came down the stairs. Jean fought to keep from crying; her little girl was growing up. When Miranda reached the bottom, Jean brushed a stray lock of hair back out of the girl’s face and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“You look so beautiful!” Jean whispered to Miranda with watery eyes as she gave her a gentle hug.

“Oh, Mom,” Miranda said, blushing. “Where are we going to dinner? Are the boys ready yet?”

“Let’s go see.” She led Miranda around the corner into the living room. The younger woman stopped short when she caught sight of Jeff in full uniform holding the roses.

“Miss Miranda, may I have the honor of escorting you to your school’s Fall Festival Dance this evening?” The disbelief on Miranda’s face shifted to joy.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close