Second Chances - Cover

Second Chances

Copyright© 2012 by Allan Kindred

Chapter 10

Once back at the mansion Christina will not leave Alex's lap. She can scarcely believe that she is in his arms again. Her fiancé's love is reflecting back through her brown eyes as she looks on in wonder. To her, her love has been gone for three years. To Alex he has only been gone three days, but he understands Christina's need to be held.

They gather around in the living room. The ghosts of Mary, Casper, Chrissy and Katie are setting on the couches while Alex and Christina are cuddling in the chair.

Alex can tell everybody has a million questions as to the spending of the passed time, but it is Alex who inquires first. "So, when you were in Greece and retrieved the Book of Undaunted Darkness and you became a witch did you..."

"She didn't just become a witch, she is now the White Sorceress."

Alex looks at Mary and then says, "Do we know what that means?"

"Oh, yes!" Says Casper smiling.

"So, while in Greece did you happen to find the Shield of Infinity?"

"Yes, but..."

"But what?"

"It is surrounded in a blue light and none of us can touch it. We had to crate it and bring it home in the hopes that you are the one destined to wield it."

"Okay, well, since Faith the Unicorn of Fate sent us for it I assume I can. Where is it?"

"In the bedroom." Says Christina rising to her feet shimmering in her glorious white gown. She holds out her hand and pulls Alex to his feet.

He hadn't realized it before, but he is exhausted. "It's right here." Says Chrissy needlessly pointing that out since it is glowing brightly blue.

Alex goes dreamy eyed and reaches for it as it lies on top of the same footlocker they found the sword Excalibur in. "Uh..."

Alex's hand pauses inches away from the blue sphere of power emanating from the marvelous ancient Greek round bronze shield with designs of all the gods on it. "Yes."

"The one of power who can both wield Excalibur and the Shield of Infinity will be destined to become The Lion."

Alex scratches his head for a second. "Do we know what that is?"

"I've found it mentioned in both the Book of the Spiritual Nexus and the Book of Undaunted Darkness, but exactly who and or what it is we are not sure of yet."

"Do we know if he, she or it is at least good?"

"Oh, yes, he is the ultimate defender of good."

"Well, that sounds okay to me." Alex says and reaches for the shield.

His hand meets little resistance from the blue sphere and he touches the highly adorned outer part of the shield. All of a sudden the blue light surrounds Alex and then after it shimmers for a few seconds it sinks into him and disappears.

Everybody looks around waiting for something to happen. After nothing does Alex shrugs his shoulders with a smile. All of a sudden on the bed the sword of Excalibur appears glowing blue once more.

Alex tilts the shield so he can run his right arm through the heavy leather straps. Then he reaches over and picks up the sword. Again Alex is surrounded in the undulating blue glow until it too sinks into him.

With shield and sword in hand Alex turns to Christina and says, "So, tell me about your adventure and how you became to be the White Sorceress."

Christina smiles all so prettily. They go back into the living room and once again take their seats. Expectation and excitement perforates the air as more than love and tenderness is about. True power has been achieved.

Christina gets a haunted look on her face as she begins. "For the rest of that night until the twelfth gong of midnight I tried to open a gateway to get you out of there." She puts her story aside for a second and asks, "Did you find any lost souls to rescue?"

"That is a interesting tale my love, but you first."

Christina smiles and cuddles into Alex some more. "I studied the book for the whole year and when the next Halloween came around I once again tried to open a portal to no avail."

"She tried really hard." Says Chrissy remembering how sad Christina was.

"I'm sure she did, sweetheart."

Alex nods for Christina to continue. "It was then I came to the realization that since the Book of the Spiritual Nexus was the light and the Book of Undaunted Darkness was shadow it would be the Undaunted book I would need to open a portal to that place of shadow and reflection so we went to Greece to find it."

"It was fun!" Says Chrissy smiling in memory. Katie nods her pretty head vigorously in agreement.

"Yes, Chrissy and Katie had their own little adventure there."

"I want to hear about that, too, but come on."

"Yes. Well, we took my family's yacht there and soon realized it was going to be a massive effort so I sponsored a archeological dig in Delphi."

"As it was, it still took us over a year to discover the Great Library of Creation and the hidden chamber within." Adds Casper.

"Christina was so worried about you." Says Mary with love and compassion in her green eyes.

"I know." Says Alex hugging her tight and kissing her cheek as she continues to set in his lap.

The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close