Winds of Change - Cover

Winds of Change

Copyright© 2011 by R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Chapter 22

“Broadsword, this is Cutlass responding to your call.

“Cutlass, this is Broadsword. What is your location and status?”

“We’re offshore from what will be Virginia Beach. It looks like the entire area is in flames. I count eleven warships and fourteen troop carriers. From the flames I wouldn’t be surprised if everything between here and Richmond is burning.”

Grant responded on the radio, “Cutlass, this is Grant. Take out all British ships. I say again, Take out all British ships. Then head up the James River to Williamsburg and try to rescue Thomas Jefferson. He’s a law student at William and Mary.

“The ships we can do Captain, but I doubt Williamsburg even exists anymore.”

“Then help who you can and take out as many Redcoats as possible before returning back to the Bay. We should be there in about an hour, but we’re going straight up the Potomac and try to rescue Washington. We should be in radio range the entire time. When we start back down the Potomac, I want you to head to Boston.”

“Captain, we won’t have enough fuel to make the round trip and do any maneuvering. Especially if we go upriver and back.”

“Then I’ll leave a small boat and a fuel bladder near the mouth of the James. You can refuel when you return from Williamsburg. The small boat will be on the net. Also, if you have any digital cameras or video recorders, take as many pictures for history as you can.”

“Will do, Captain.”

“Helmsman.”

“Yes, Captain?”

“Warn the Admiral and then sound general quarters. In five minutes I want those turbines warming up and in ten I want us at flank speed.”

“Aye aye, Skipper.”

Grant picked up the microphone again, and said, “Broadsword to Santee Base. Come in Santee Base.”

“Santee Base, go ahead Grant”

“John, Cutlass reports the entire lower Virginia area is in flames. I need either Rapier or Saber here as soon as possible and Stiletto needs to be moving south.”

“We’ve had activity here also. We’ve already destroyed a ship near the mouth of the harbor and several others have sailed into Charleston. A rider just came in and said the Governor and his gang have sailed south.”

We need to destroy the ships in Charleston and go after the Governor. See if you can either scare them off the ship, or capture it, we need the treasure and the papers the Governor is carrying.”

“I still have a couple of SEALs here, so we may be able to take that approach. From what information we already had it’s an undermanned frigate with most of the men chosen more for loyalty to the Governor than for sailing ability.

“If that’s the case, you may be able to force her to the beach around Edisto.”

“Do you want me to go too or stay here?”

“Go with Mike, but place everyone else at general quarters ... armed, loaded and on guard. Also, I’d try to get everyone from Thomas’ place to our base. We can more easily defend each other.”

“What about Fran?”

“Explain the situation and tell him he has my permission to do as he thinks best.”

“Will do.”

“And, John,” sighed Grant, “protect our families.”

“Aye aye, Skipper. I’ll have someone call when Rapier leaves and I may have Saber sit off shore for the night.”

“Probably a good idea for boooooth.” Grant replied with a grunt.

“What happened?”

“We just kicked this boat in the ass and it almost knocked me off my feet.”

“From a stopped position?”

“No, from slightly above seventy knots,” explained a still shaken Grant.

“Wow! I want to hear more about that when we have time.”

“John get moving. It appears the British up here are running amuck. We can’t let them get to that point in Charleston.”

“Stiletto leaves in zero five minutes and Rapier in ten. Fran’s men have already left to get the people from the Thomas and Horry plantations.”

“What about any uptimers at any of the other plantations?”

“None” answered John. “With Cutlass and Broadsword gone we had enough beds. Now, if you need to ask anything else, talk to my wife as I’ve got to go.”

Sioux asked, “Anything else?”

“Tell my family I love them very much.”

“I will, and take care.”

Barbara placed her hands on Grant’s shoulder to offer comfort and support.

“They’ll be alright,” she said.

“I hope so,” answered Grant. “I truly hope so.”

“Captain, radar is showing fourteen ships dead ahead. Four are headed our way, four are headed north and six seem to be holding back. The echo of three of the six ships is much stronger than the others. We’re almost at the point of turning northwest to Norfolk.”

“Can the groups see each other?” asked Grant.

“The six might be able to see the northern group for another few minutes from a crow’s nest.”

“Time to southern Group at current speed.”

“Zero Six minutes, Sir.”

“Fire control, can you hit the four closest targets at this speed.”

“We should be able to, but remember all we’ve ever fired was simulated missiles at simulated targets.”

“Then take them out. If you miss, we’ll swing around for another attempt.”

Grant heard his young fishing buddy, Michael, say, “Target 1 in acquisition and firing.”

Young Bobby Johnson said, “Target 2, firing.”

“Target 3, firing. Missile one has hit. Target one is gone.”

“Target 4, firing, Target 2 is gone.”

“Target 3 is gone.”

“Target 4 is gone.”

“Targets eliminated, Sir,” said just turned seventeen, Bobby Johnson.

“Are you both okay?” asked a concerned Barbara.

“For the moment,” answered sixteen year old Michael. “When the reality sinks in that these weren’t just computer images, I’ll probably go to the head and throw up.”

“Are you up for some more targets?” asked Grant, “or do I need to get some people to spell you.”

“How many more targets are we talking about?” asked Bobby.

“There are at least four more within range in less than ten minutes.”

The two boys looked at each other, nodded, and then Michael said, “I think we can handle the next four, Grant, but after that I think we need a break.”

“Radar, status on next targets?” asked Grant.

“Zero four minutes, I’ve not had any reaction yet from the six.”

“Helmsman, slowly bring speed down to twenty knots. Who knows anything about the boats we have aboard?”

“I do,” answered one of the SEALs.

“Can you give me a quick summary?” asked Grant.

“There are two boats similar to Stiletto and a twenty-one foot Zodiac. The outboards for the Zodiac are electric motors capable of thirty knots with an operating time of six hours at full power.

“Time needed to launch Zodiac?”

“Eight to ten minutes, Sir. It might take a little longer with those fuel bladders.”

“Radar, range to six?” asked Grant.

“Thirty one miles, Sir.”

“Helm, add the radar screen to your console and move us to a point less than eight miles from the six. Does anyone know if we’ve any covert sound gear on board?”

“Sir?”

“Bugs, son. I want to listen in on their conversation. I also want to track them as well as set off some explosives.”

“I don’t know, Sir. That wasn’t covered in my brief training.”

“Then get on the radio and talk to Jerry. If anyone knows, it’ll be him.”

“SEALs, Su Lin, Leng and Kwan to the bridge please,” Grant commanded over the intercom.

“Michael, you and Bobby can stand down for a few minutes. Get a coke and relax.”

“Thanks, Grant,” answered Michael.

“Yes, thanks, Mr Maxwell,” added Bobby.

“Grant, what ideas are running loose in that head of yours?” asked Victor.

“Admiral, think about that configuration, and what do you see?”

“The Fleet Admiral and escorts would be a good hunch.”

“That’s what I pictured, too, and I suspect Dr Edward McVey is on one of those ships. If we can’t capture him I, at least, want to capture his papers because the man was notorious for making notes and keeping a diary.”

“But what about the ships sailing north and the need for us in Virginia?” asked Victor.

“I want to drop off the small boat and send them to check out the six. Then we catch up with the four headed north, come back and pick up the small boat and head to Virginia.”

“Grant, what if this sidetracks us from rescuing Washington and Madison?”

“Admiral, if my hunch is right, the secrets with McVey are far more important than either of those two men.”

The shock of that statement caused Victor to collapse into a chair. Barbara and Sophie ran to him to check if he was okay.

Close