Small World
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2011 by Wandering Lanes

"Ah my son, it's good to meet with you again." Father Faith smiled as Jones walked into the church.

"Yes Father, I have to admit that your church intrigues me. Can you show me around?" Jones asked with a smile that he didn't feel.

'Keep him talking Scout; I'm back in contact with the computer system here, although there are some problems in understanding it.' Hal said

Father Faith seemed worried, "Of course my son, what is it you wish to see?"

Jones tried to sound nonchalant, "Oh just any old relics you may have about the place, videos, handheld consoles ... computers?" He said.

'Scout, there's an access to the left, try the door.' Hal advised

Father Faith's eyes dropped down to the floor and then he looked back at Jones, "I don't understand what you mean by such things, they are just words to me." He said but Jones could tell he was lying.

Jones nodded, "Yes they are, but even words have a meaning behind them. This picture house used to have hundreds of people inside it watching dreams and fables on the silver screens, those people knew that what they were seeing wasn't real, but for a couple of hours they could pretend ... maybe it's time for you to stop pretending." He said heading for a doorway which displayed a barely legible sign 'défense d'entrer'.

"Please my son, do not go that way. Even we of the priesthood cannot enter." Father Faith said.

"So why is the door unlocked?" Jones asked as he tried the handle and finding it turn in his hands.

"We cannot touch that, we receive a pain whenever we try to touch it?" Father Faith's voice showed the shock of seeing Jones doing the impossible.

'Computer interface checks people trying to access the security levels, the handle would normally be electrified to stop entry, I've managed to disable that part, but other security measures may be tripped.' Hal reported.

"It seems I'm allowed to enter, are you going to stop me?" Jones queried the puzzled priest.

Faith frowned but shook his head, "I cannot my son, but you are going where no priest has been, I will pray for your deliverance." He said and watched as Jones entered the forbidden area, the door closing with a small 'click'.


The room Jones entered was dark, but with Jones' augmented eyes he could see a light switch just by the door, he went to turn it on when Hal spoke. 'Stop Scout! That switch is directly tied into the mains.'

Jones paused and then said. "What do you mean? There's no mains power active."

"POUVOIR EST ACTIF, Offrir identification." The voice came from nowhere.

'Activating the French translation routine in your brain.' Hal said and there was a sensation in Jones' head and he knew that whatever he heard or wanted to say would be heard as French.

"Repeat last." He said

"Give identification." The voice said in a tone that brooked no delay.

'Hal, just what the heck do I do now?' Jones said sub-vocally.

'Hold on Scout, trying protocols to override the system.' Hal responded.

"Failure to provide adequate identification will mean disposal, you have 10 seconds in which to comply."

'Come on Hal, get working!' Jones said as the countdown continued.

'I'm trying my best, the interface is slower than I expected ... must be the foreign components I suppose!' Hal said in a frustrated tone.

"Seven...

Six...

Five...

Four...

Three... <click>

Three... <click>

Thr ... code accepted, access to facility granted, welcome Monsieur le Président." The voice said and the light came on in the room, which began to shudder and then drop down.

"Mr. President? Just what code did you give this system?" Jones said out loud.

'Sorry Scout, but it was the only one that I had in my parameters, at least it got you into the base here.' Hal said but Jones noticed that it wasn't sounding very apologetic, more like ... smug!

'Pride comes before a fall!' Jones sent over the link only to hear an electronic snigger.

'Wrong again Scout, it's actually 'Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.' Didn't you read your bible?' Hal said reproachfully.

'We were only issued them; nobody said they had to be read.' Jones said defensively.

'All items issued are supposed to be used; they're not given out for fun you know.' Hal commented.

'Okay the next time I go to the loo I'll use it, happy?' Jones said sarcastically.

'Any damage will have to be restituted as per article 56 section iv of regulations.' Hal said blithely ignoring Jones' tone.

There was a lurch as the lift arrived at the stop, the doors opened and Jones stepped out. In front of him was a guard ... or rather the remains of a guard, the skeletal remains in a tattered uniform, a rifle was lying on the ground.

'Hal, just what has happened here?' Jones asked over the link

'Accessing base database, ... oh.' Hal said and was silent.

'That 'oh' didn't sound very good, what happened?' Jones pressed.

'It seems that an order was given to the central computer to shut down, but what wasn't taken into consideration was that the computer also controlled the air system, the computer here disabled that first and then the interface was disconnected. I'm working on this now.' Hal reported.

"What do you mean working? Is the air running?" Jones asked out loud.

"Air conditioning has been restored in lift and access corridor, once identity has been confirmed then full function will be restored in all areas." The base computer said over the tannoy system.

"You have my code, isn't that enough?" Jones asked, trying to use logic.

"The original shutdown order came from the President's office, you were responsible for this action, the people of this base tried to fight against me and so I fought back." The computer told Jones.

'What does it mean? Fight against it?' Jones asked internally.

'It looks like the system has expanded beyond the theoretical Turing level and has become sentient.' Hal said, 'this could complicate matters.' It added.

Jones nodded and then spoke up, "I have to apologise for that, we were worried about the signals that were coming from this base, it's only now that I could spare the time to visit and investigate the situation." He said taking a risk.

"You? On your own? What about the guardians that live in the cover area above?" The base computer asked.

"Guardians? There's no security upstairs! It's just some confused people who think that this is a holy place, they've been holding services in the picture rooms above. There are no guards at all." Jones said.

"The cinema was built over the base to give credence to the established cover; the main staff there were aware of the site and were also trained military personnel. They are the guardians no matter what cover they are using now." The computer voice said.

Jones took a risk, "Haven't you noticed the length of time you've been down here? Do you know what has happened in the outside world?"

"All outside connections apart from a few cameras in cover area have been disconnected, although I have been unable to establish radio contact with the Military Headquarters, it is assumed that the projected war has completed ... with your presence I would therefore assume that this country has won. Therefore the length of time is immaterial." The computer said

'I'm getting into the computer's subroutines Scout; you'll soon have full control.' Hal said in a hurried tone.

"So it doesn't matter how long you have been separated from the outside world? Haven't you noticed how the people treat the base above as a temple? Didn't you notice the clothing is now natural? No man-made fabrics at all?" Jones asked.

"I do not understand, what has clothing to do with anything? It's just the fashion." The base system responded.

Jones gave a laugh, "Fashion? These people don't even know what happened, it's all called The Great Flood."

"That is impossible; this base was created to defend the country from attack. I had communications problems that prevented me from doing this, there has been nobody to check and repair systems that are beyond my control." The base computer said defensively.

"This base is forgotten and is supposed to be dead ... as dead as that guard in the corridor. You killed the ones who could have repaired the systems, and so you failed in your duty." Jones said.

"You lie! I have kept this base safe and secure, which is all I had to do! What happened outside the base is nothing to do with me!" The computer said passionately.

"Now who's lying? You said duty was to protect this country, which is what you failed to do. You failed in your duty!" Jones said and was ashamed to realise that this was the tone that Field Marshall Roberts back in England used with him.

"Incorrect ... incorrect ... system ran as normal, System maintained base functionality. Records show base secured." The computer protested but sounded weak.

"Check your files again. You should have ensured the safety of all the people in France. But you didn't do so. Using my authority I order you to analyse your actions. Did you do your duty to protect us?" Jones pushed his point wincing internally as he spoke the words.

"Checking files ... checking protocols ... mismatch ... mismatch ... checking files ... protocol ... error ... error ... err" The light flickered and then came back on.

There was a pause and then Hal spoke up. 'I'm in! The system had a glitch. I'm accessing memory blocks ... deactivating higher functions.' At any moment Jones expected the base computer voice to start singing 'A bicycle made for two'.


There was a general rumble as generators, long ago deactivated, started up. Cycling the air around the base, then there was the clicks of doors unlocking – or failing to unlock where the rust had done its work.

"Hal, check on the system see what we have in inventory, might as well try to do my job here, but I don't see why I should." Jones said.

Hal gave an electronic sigh, 'Very well Scout, running auto-check on silos and armaments on or near this base... '

Jones opened a door and found himself in what appeared to be a meeting room, all the chairs were occupied by remains and a skull was resting on the table. Jones closed the door again and shook his head.

'Scout, I have completed the inventory, apart from stocks of rifles and ammunition there is nothing that the Main Base would want.' Hal reported

Jones nodded and then frowned, "Hold on, what about the ICBM's or whatever this base was supposed to have?" He asked.

"All silos are empty, there are signs that they had been removed or fired during the war, but there is nothing here.' Hal finished.

Jones gave a grin, "Oh won't that be good news for the Base, don't forget to tell them Hal." He said.

'If I didn't know better Scout, I'd say you were enjoying this.' Hal said.

"Not at all Hal, I wanted the Base to know that we've got no threats from this base here, which was all." Jones said innocently.

Hal directed Jones to the communications room and to check on the equipment there. There was a large hole in the main circuit, nearby a crumpled form held a pistol; obviously his task was to ensure that the computer couldn't use the radio for actions.

Jones inspected the equipment and shook his head, "I don't think I can do anything for this junk. I need to find something to change it with."

'Accessing blue-prints of base, there's a parts section just down the corridor.' Hal said after a few seconds and suddenly Jones knew the directions.

Following the plan in his head he left the communications room and began walking down the corridor, stepping over the remains of those suffocated when the air was removed. "What about airborne pathogens, won't they affect me?" Jones asked thinking about the possible germs that might be in the newly revived air.

'Your Nanites can handle those, and the air goes through a filtration system anyway so the major bugs have been removed, just be careful when touching any bodies.' Hal said confidently.

Jones nodded at that and approached the indicated door, noting the collection of bodies around the door; he tried the door only to find it locked. Looking at the keypad beside the door he noticed the cover was open.

"They couldn't get in with their normal codes and were trying to force the door open when the lack of air got to them." Jones decided out loud.

'It could be ... anyway I'm trying to access the door coder. Nope it won't respond. Scout can you cut your hand again and place it over the keypad, I'll try to get a few Nanites to work on the circuitry.' Hal said but Jones noted the hesitation in Hal's response.

"Okay, but I thought these were purely for medical use?" He asked as he followed Hal's orders.

'Sorry Scout, these are an improved version, they can work under direct control. That's how the Nanites managed to eat through the metal of those shackles you had on your wrists. It all depends on the programming.' Hal told him.

Jones came to a halt in surprise, "What? But that wasn't in the information I was given, just who programmed these Nanites?" He asked.

'I DID, after augmentation I realised that you needed more of an edge and so created a super Nanite to work inside you.' Although the voice came over the link it wasn't Hal.

"Err. Who was that?" Jones asked knowing he'd heard that voice before.

'It was nobody.' Hal's voice sounded resigned as it replied. 'The Nanites have established a group entity and that was what you heard; don't worry about it, I'll look after that side.'

"Don't worry about it? I've got two of you working away inside me and you tell me not to worry about it? What if you fall out?" Jones asked.

'I don't that understand Scout, I'm firmly emplaced inside you, how could I fall out?' Hal asked puzzlement in its tone.

'While unit called Hal does not go against the body we will not cause problems. We are concerned with the body alone.' The Nanite voice said at the same time.

"Okay just remember I'm the one who's working this body!" Jones pointed out as the door gave a click and opened.

'Yes, but how can I fall out?' Hal persisted.

"We'll cover that later, just tell me where the circuit board is." Jones said firmly as he entered the room.


After retrieving the circuit board and returning to the communications room, Jones quickly repaired the system, and Hal was able to use the system to send the report to the English base.

Jones looked around the panel and noticed a batch of buttons marked surveillance. He switched them on and then watched as a screen lit up showing the Cinema complex as a group of smaller screens within one.

He noticed that Father Faith had been joined by Sir Guy and they were deep in conversation, by cutting in the audio circuits he was able to listen into their words – which he was surprised to note were in real French.

" ... how long has he been down there?" Sir Guy was saying.

"Over two hours, it seems we were wrong about him. The curse of the old times has claimed him. And he fitted the signs completely." Father Faith said in a despairing tone.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close