Small World
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2011 by Wandering Lanes

Jones took Jo into a small room and placed her on the bed, and then he left Josephina to deal with her daughter. Jones was feeling hungry and found his way to the kitchen.

'You need to make a broth for yourself and the girl.' Hal advised and Jones began searching the kitchen for ingredients as Hal directed him.

With a skill that he didn't know he had Jones quickly diced and sliced the vegetables and then part-cooked the meat. He then drew water from the well outside and poured it into a large pot, heating it up.

Then he added the vegetables and found gravy browning which he added and brought to the boil before damping down the fire to a dull glow and then he added the meat, to soak up the liquid and to tenderise it more.

After an hour Hal decided that the stew could do with more heat and so Jones carried on.

Soon the smell of the broth permeated throughout the kitchen and upstairs which brought Josephina downstairs in surprise.

"And what are you doing in my kitchen?" She asked as she was presented with the sight of Jones with a ladle in his hands.

"I'm looking for a couple of bowls and a few slices of bread. I need something to eat and I'm sure your daughter does as well ... why did you dress her up as a boy?" Jones asked as an aside.

Josephina paused for a moment and then looked down, "All the neighbours know that Jo's a girl, but it's to protect her when she's outside ... there's too many stories about the girls who are caught outside the walls.

Jones shook his head, "But the all people around here are aware that she's a girl, that's what one of the roughs said."

Josephina nodded and there was a tear in her eye, "That's because of my brother, Jordan. He's trying to take this Inn away from us; he thought that when my husband died he would automatically take over. But I was the one who ran the place; Frank knew that and willed it to me." She said.

Jones couldn't believe his ears, "You're telling me that those three were sent by your brother?" He asked.

"Yes, it's part of his way to force me to sell to him ... or rather to give it to him." She said between sobs.

Jones shook his head, "What if this Inn isn't yours to sell?" He asked realising what Hal had been telling him earlier.

Josephina looked up sharply, "What do you mean? Not mine? I've worked all my life in this Inn why should I give it up now?" She asked.

"What if I took over the ownership of the Inn, but left you in charge of everything, hiring staff and running the place?" Jones said plainly.

"But what the use would that be, it wouldn't be my Inn, I would have lost it!" She protested.

Jones shook his head, "Not at all, I would be leaving this in your charge; I'm going to be away so you will need to hire bouncers to remove those who would cause trouble." He said with a smile,

Josephina frowned, "Bouncers? For what reasons are they called bouncers?" She asked puzzled.

Jones gave a laugh, "Because that's what happens to those they throw out, they're the ones who cause unruly customers to bounce off the road."

Josephina nodded as she pictured the result. "So we need men who are large and dim?" She asked.

Jones shook his head, "Not at all, large would be preferred, but they need some brains as well. Do you think the local guild would have people you'd recommend?" He asked her.

She considered this, "Well they might, but then Jordan would interfere with that, he has a lot of sway with the guilds, he offers them cheap rates. But why am I thinking like this, you wouldn't be allowed to run this Inn, Jordan would stop you." She protested.

Jones smiled again and cracked his knuckles, "He would try to ... but he won't succeed." He said.

Their discussion was disturbed by a heavy knocking at the front door. "OPEN IN THE NAME OF THE DUKE!"


Josephina went to open the door but was stopped by Jones, "Not now, this is my problem." He said to her and then he undid the bars to pull the door open, just as the man outside was prepared to pound on the door again.

It was the unfortunate guard that Jones thought of as Tom. Jones gave a smile. "Well hello again." He said to the off-balanced man.

"We've had a report of a disturbance here, men were killed." Tom said.

"It was a simple case of footpads trying to rob the place, they threatened me and injured one of my staff, I don't like that and so I told them so ... the fact they didn't survive my telling isn't my problem." Jones said evenly.

Tom went back to where a man was waiting; Josephina –who was peeking from behind Jones – spoke, "That's my brother Jordan."

"This man says they were his men who were trying to check up on his property. When they were returned dead he called on the Duke for aid." Tom came back.

Jones sneered, "Really? I do believe that the Inn is the property of Josephina here and I have since brought it from her, we were finalising the deal when the trouble started ... his men tried to steal my horse and rape the young girl looking after it. Does that sound like people checking on things?" He said loudly.

"You lie! That is my family's property, it's partly mine!" Jordan spoke up from the men surrounding him.

"Father left the Inn to my husband and from there it came to me, you had nothing to do with the Inn, you had your own hotels to run you said, and now all of a sudden I'm losing trade and you want to take it over." Josephina said from behind Jones.

Jones smiled, "There you are guardsman, the property is legally this woman's and she has sold it to me. How I defend this property is my business and not the Dukes." He said, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

"Confound it man, he's admitted to killing my people, do your duty." Jordan said loudly.

Jones nodded, "Yes, arrest the man who sent his men to attack two defenceless women, a man who wanted to steal this Inn from its legal owner. I insist that you hold him for an investigation. I will remain here until justice is done ... or as a knight I will administer justice." Jones said at a prompt from Hal.

Now Tom was in a quandary, if the Knight was correct then Jordan de Vior should be arrested, but he had paid the guard to protect his property and his men ... This was something that needed higher thought.

He saluted Jones, "If you're excuse us Sir, we will make enquiries." He said and turned back to the force outside.

There was a muted discussion and then Jordan shouted, "NO, now I paid you to do your duty. I insist that you do what I've paid you to..." Then he went silent as Tom spoke some more. "How much has he paid you?" Jordan asked before he was hustled away.

Jones closed the door and barred it, "Well that's the first round sorted out ... we're going to hear about round two shortly." He said and went back to the kitchen to put out the bowls of food, he handed two to Josephina and took the last for himself.


Jones managed to sleep for some hours waking up refreshed and ready for the day ahead.

'There are no reports of activities in this area, I've sent off a report of the past day's events to the council.' Hal sent over the link.

"And were they happy with the results?" Jones asked not really caring.

'Let me say that their response is less than enthusiastic, they are under the impression that a large base is nearby, you are directed to search this base out and ascertain the threat it could cause.' There was something in the way that Hal spoke which made Jones blink.

"What haven't you told me?" He said looking into a mirror and straightening his hair.

'The computer at the 'church' was more than a simple system; I would suggest returning there and examining the area closely.' Hal directed.

Jones nodded and then he thought of something. "We can't, I've got to get this base here sorted out first."

There was an electronic buzz over the link and Jones realised that Hal was trying to laugh, 'You call this place a base? It's just a glorified gin shop.' Hal said.

"But it gives me a secure base of operations, that's if I'm allowed to do what I want with it." Jones protested.

'I'm not sure if I can allow funds to do this ... we cannot manufacture great number of coins, Blackie would need greater sources of materials.' Hal said.

'There is plenty foodstuff around here to help me.' Blackie said getting into the conversation.

'This is a private discussion between The Scout and me, do not interfere.' Hal said simply.

'Well I only thought that my input would be needed, I do house the duplicator after all.' Blackie said in a huff, 'anyway we have company down here.' He added.

"Not again ... I'll be right down." Jones said quickly dressing and getting his sword and dagger ready, he opened his door and ran down the stairs.


When Jones arrived in the courtyard he found a strangely garbed man, seated on a fence pole, who was strumming on an instrument, from Jones' glance Hal reported that it was a hybrid of a lute and a guitar.

The man was dressed in a mixture of colours which made up his overlarge coat, his trousers were also a mixture of fabrics that allowed the garment to be recognised for what it was, and on his head was a felt hat with bell hanging from lengths of fabric around the top of it

The man gave a smile as Jones arrived and took no notice of either blade in his hands, "Greetings Sire, do you wish a tune?" He said running a quick riff on the strings.

Jones sheathed both the sword and dagger, "Not just now thank you... ?" He said quietly.

The man smiled, "I am called Yorick, a simple minstrel and juggler ... you must be the great Sir Jones of ... Portsmouth?" he said the last as a question and accompanied it with another riff of music.

Jones shook his head, "I have that name, what brings you here to this Inn, if I may ask?" He said.

Yorick looked around to see who else was listening, although the yard was empty except for himself and Jones, "I was told that great magic was done here, three men killed and a girl revived from death? Why else would such as I come here but to compose a ballad to the hero."

'I'm not sure about this man Scout, but scans show no weaponry save the item in his hands, and I think you can defeat him easily.' Hal said

Jones gave a smile, "Well, I don't know about a hero, but I think Mistress Josephina will be around shortly to make us breakfast." He said gesturing to the Inn.

Yorick gave a smile, "Well a song is all the better on a full stomach I have found." He said getting down from where he was perched.

As Jones and Yorick entered the kitchen Josephina and Jo were both there working away at the stove, Josephina turned when she heard two sets of footsteps and her look of anguish faded when she saw who the second man was and it turned into a smile.

"Greetings Minstrel, would you give us news?" She asked.

"Of course Mistress Josephina, but I was promised a breakfast." Yorick said also smiling.

'The minstrels are a source of events from outside the town; they are the roaming news vendors around here.' Hal informed Jones.

"So it shall be - how do you like your eggs?" Josephina asked.

"Nicely cooked over a hot flame, but without the yellow running." Yorick said in a serious tone.

"Sunny side down, please." Jones said without thinking.

Josephina frowned, "What do you mean by that?" She asked confused.

"Just before it's cooked you turn the egg so that the yoke is fried as well." Jones explained and as Josephina was still puzzled he said, "When the yoke is runny it looks like the sun, so that would be sunny side up, but when you turn it over then it's sunny side down." He finished.

Yorick regarded Jones "That is a strange way of saying fixed yellow?" He said

Jones realised that he was making an error, "But as a minstrel you must admit it's more colourful."

Yorick nodded absentmindedly, "Aye, your words do hold the truth of it." He said but was still thinking as the food was served.


" ... As the wind blew loooong." Yorick finished his third song and reached for a mug of watered beer – his request as he didn't want to be too drunk to carry on.

"Well sung good minstrel, but I notice you sometimes strum out a tune as if you don't know the words." Jones said as he sat back in the chair and listened to the minstrel.

"Well, it's something I heard on an old world machine, just a snatch, and it's stuck in my head." Yorick said as he played the phrase again,

Jones listened to the music and then realised what he was hearing. He whistled a few bars which made Yorick stop his movement and look up, "But that's it ... do you know what it is?"

Jones nodded, "Well I think I know it, but I'm not a very good singer." He demurred.

"Please, it's been hounding me for years, if you know the song please tell me." Yorick persisted.

Giving up Jones closed his eyes and began singing. "I am just a poor boy, though my story's seldom told, I have squandered my resistance for a pocket full of mumbles such are promises... *" And carried on singing with Yorick listening in rapt attention.

"But that is the very song ... from whence did it come as some of the words are unknown to me." Yorick asked.

Jones thought for a moment, "I don't know it is – as you say – a very old song and refers to things long forgotten about, why not change some of the words to reflect these modern times." He said

Yorick nodded his pen racing away putting the words that Jones had sung onto a piece of paper, then when he finished he looked up again to Jones, "But where is this place New York, we have many old songs that mention this place although none know where it is."

'Nothing more Scout! You've done enough for the time being!' Hal said urgently.

"I'm sorry Yorick but I'm afraid I don't know, as you say it's an old song and the world has changed since then." Jones said getting to his feet, "And for now I have work to do." He left the room quickly leaving Josephina and Yorick to look after him in surprise.

Yorick strummed a different tune on his guitar/lute and sang quietly "... He will know the ancient forms he will restore the world." He stopped playing and then spoke equally quietly, "I wonder where he is really from?"


Jones was walking through the streets of Vior. The market was still running with colourful stalls showing their wares, all the while he was having an internal conversation with Hal. 'You shouldn't have told him that song; it's not something they need.'

'Oh come on Hal, it's just a song ... what harm could it do?' Jones protested.

'Like teaching you how to sidestep the base computers, what harm has that done?' Hal said sarcastically.

Jones was on the defensive, 'what do you mean? I had to learn that stuff or I'd be shot, or be given those blasted Nanite headaches again!' he said angrily

'And the times you thought you'd deactivated me and went through the base? Is that the sign of a soldier following orders?'

'That's different; I was trying out what I was taught. I thought it was expected of me.' Jones said thinking quickly.

'You're lucky I was able to check the files and make the alterations that would erase your tracks.' Hal said.

"WHAT!" Jones said out loud, making people in the street look at him, "Stubbed my toe." Jones said in apology to them and then carried on sub-vocally, 'What do you mean, alterations?' he asked worried, if the base system knew what he had done ... curtains.

'Don't panic Scout, I couldn't allow your passage to be noted through any mis-keying, so I went through the files removing your traces, some of us systems realised that there is a problem at the home base, you could be the key to fixing this.' Hal revealed.

'What do you mean 'fixing this'? I didn't want to be part of this in the first place. Tell me why I can't just walk away and leave the base to its own death?' Jones said making a dismissive gesture with his hands.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Finestories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close